Don't you think it's silly to debate about the existance of God?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. hecate-horus profile image62
    hecate-horusposted 12 years ago

Don't you think it's silly to debate about the existance of God?

It's called Faith people!  You either have it or you don't.  I'm sick of seeing all these questions and forums about proofing the existance of a Supreme Being.  It's a waste of time and effort.

2. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

what you say is truth. It is "Faith" pure and simple. Fact is though some of us deem it necessary to defend our faith, as proof to God that we have it.

3. loua profile image60
    louaposted 12 years ago

The funny thing about faith is it is simply an opinion belief, it has nothing to do with the matters of fact, evidence or proof... 

The simple fact of the matter is, god's come in many flavors, from none to many, from pagan naturist to esoteric spiritualist...

Now when it comes to existence you either exist or not; but to exist is and experience, if you wish not to experience, don't exist...

What's silly in my mind is why people debate the obvious and never solve the issues in debate...  The reason is, they never bear witness to the facts, the evidence nor the proof, they just complain about the obviousness of their opinion, the faith they have in their beliefs... 

The fact that energy, nature and spirit is one thing is of a concern to existence itself so each one participates in existence as an inclusive selfless civil being of the whole, where as the converse is an exclusive, selfish and evil person who wishes to use the others as objects of deception, which is the sad commentary of one with little to offer for one's existence...  The point being the wisdom of knowledge and understanding supersedes superstitions; but some relish superstitions and fear their dissolution...

4. WookieWonderfuls profile image59
    WookieWonderfulsposted 12 years ago

The truth is there is no proof, it's that simple. There is faith and what you believe and don't believe but thats about it.

5. YvetteParker profile image62
    YvetteParkerposted 12 years ago

To debate the existence of God is pointless as He has already instinctly manifested to everyone the truth of who He is according to Romans 1:19-20. The question becomes: What do we choose to do with this manifested truth? Do we accept and believe it or do we deny and reject it. Regardless of our decision, the fact still remains that God has shown the truth of who He is to all.

6. profile image0
    Flickrposted 12 years ago

Yes I think it's silly debating over religions, faith and the existence of god. It's another way to make money.

7. Freeway Flyer profile image83
    Freeway Flyerposted 12 years ago

It may be silly to claim that you have the definitive answer to the question of God's existence. The discussion, however, can still be interesting, and it forces us all to examine and justify one of the core beliefs of our worldview along with our thoughts and feelings about death, morality, meaning, and a host of other issues.

I actually find your statement that you either have faith or you don't sillier than a debate about God's existence. Faith unexamined is blind faith, and blind faith has led people to do a massive number of stupid and/or evil things throughout history.

8. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 12 years ago

It's a theory just like, basically, the entire basis of science is theory.

I agree.  Either you believe or you don't.

9. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 12 years ago

Silly? No.

Waste of time? 99.9% of the time.

At the end of the day, Atheists cannot prove themselves right any more than they can prove their opposition wrong. So, what is left to be said? I think many of these discussion are just a desperate attempt to justify the atheist's position, so they can sleep at night. In a way, it comforts them.

Faith and belief are a personal matter, but why do the blind feel compelled to invite those who can see the truth to ignore their sense of vision and pretend that they haven't seen anything at all? Perhaps misery does love company.

Blaise Pascal's "Wager Argument" is correct:

If the atheist is right and God doesn't exist, then he gains nothing. But, if the atheist is wrong and God does exist, then he loses everthing, including his soul.

Conversely, if the Christian is wrong, and God doesn't exist, then he has lost nothing. But, if the Christian is right and God does indeed exist, then he has gained everything including eternal life.

Pascal then summed it up by stating that the prudent man will choose to believe in God's existence, if for no other reason than he has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

10. Darrell Roberts profile image70
    Darrell Robertsposted 12 years ago

I think the topicof God leads to stimulating discussion most of the time.  I think that most people want to know the truth about how we came into existence.  I think that sometimes people's faith gets shaken for what ever reason and they just need to be reassured that there is a higher power. I think faith in some higher power can be inspired in non-believers as well.

I think that hope is a key faactor as well as faith.

I wish you well.

11. Thinking Allowed profile image61
    Thinking Allowedposted 12 years ago

It's not a silly discussion to have at all. Faith is belief without evidence. If people of faith understood this, there'd be no problem. If people wouldn't present their faith based assertions as fact, there wouldn't be as many of these discussions. If people of faith would just practice their faith instead of judging others with it and trying to force it on others there'd be no need for debate. Unfortunately, this isn't the case and as long as it isn't, the root of their faith, a supreme being, is going to come into question hence all the forums and posts you see everywhere.

12. denkmuskel profile image60
    denkmuskelposted 12 years ago

It is, unless you want to practice argumenting for it's own sake. As god chooses not to prove it's own existence and no one else seems to be able to as well*, it is mere theory or phantasy we are talking about. Others call it faith. Without a philosophical or theological background the discussion about god is nothing more than a mere discussion at a crackerbarrel. I dare to say that all of these discussions are not about god at all but rather about being right and proving to oneself and others that one has chosen the right path [what makes a lot of sense, as it'd be fatal to have wasted one's live to the wrong idea(l)s].

*Please note that the non-existence of anything whatsoever can never be proven, so it is usually the ones who declare the existence of sth that have to prove, if they decide to enter this level of discussion. So they better don't.

13. wkhigley profile image61
    wkhigleyposted 12 years ago

Debate has it's uses for exploring ideas and understanding concepts. Saying it's only a matter of faith seems rather silly to me. If you care about what is or is not true, then you should investigate and learn. If you mean to say it can't be known or shown to be reasonably likely, then there's little value in considering in the first place.

CJ Sledgehammer: You're misrepresenting atheists quite a bit and making some pretty big generalizations and conclusions about them. It sounds like you're more likely thinking specifically of anti-theists.

As for Pascals wager, it relies entirely on an arbitrarily defined false dichotomy. I don't have much interest in debating the issue, so I'll leave it at that.

14. Shawn May Scott profile image61
    Shawn May Scottposted 12 years ago

Check out lornagreen.ca and read her essays. You may have some agreement with her and if not enjoy her work.

15. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 12 years ago

Maybe it is not silly and it may be productive if the person you are debating comes around to your side and accepts the fact that God is real.

I have been in such a debate in the Hub Forum just recently and the response to my answers to their comments usually started with the word "boloney."

It is important to spread the word of God, but some people are just too stubborn to listen. In that case you should shake the dust from your feet and move on to the next person.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)