jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Would you choose Religion or Spirtuality? and why?

1. EinderDarkwolf profile image61
    EinderDarkwolfposted 6 years ago

Would you choose Religion or Spirtuality? and why?

There is so much more to spirtuality then there is religion. Many people seem to hold the idea that if there is no 100% fact backing them up then they feel foolish. Religion however doesn't give you 100% fact and most never practice the tenets of their religion. So I'm interested in which you would choose and why you would choose it.

2. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

There is value to religion. All religions aim to teach you discipline. Spirituality is the study of the spirit and it transcends religious doctrines. You do not have to choose one over another, for in every religion, there are examples of those who have awakened.

3. T. R. Brown profile image75
    T. R. Brownposted 6 years ago

Interesting question because I don't think there can be one without the other.  You can't be spiritual, without an underlying basis for that spirituality, and I can't imagine a religion with no greater internal meaning for us (spirituality).

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Neither. I choose a personal relationship with Jesus Christ because of my knowledge of God through His Holy Bible. "Spirituality" is a vague term; so is "religion." To me religion means some kind of regimen someone is committed to; for me, that would probably be clicker training. "Spirituality" is some ethereal term that is very nebulous that sounds nice but really doesn't mean a lot. I choose the Holy Bible and a relationship with the living Christ because He has proven time and time again through the ages that He keeps His promises, that He is all powerful, all-knowing and that His plan means that evil has already been defeated through the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

5. stanwshura profile image73
    stanwshuraposted 6 years ago

This one is easy for me.  I feel that all religion should focus on spirituality, which for most people means establishing and/or strengthening your relationship with God.  I'd like to posit, as I struggle daily between praising and thanking God for my considerable blessings, or cussing him out for my intensely constant and very difficult challenges (with disability and anxiety) with the worst verbal violence and vitriole any human has ever thought, spoken or written, that spirituality - your "soul's" fleshly embodiment to be true to altruistic values, honesty even when it's the hardest virtue to uphold, and the integrity to constantly examine your life, the world, and your effect on it.

I think religion at its best places this *spirituality* front, center, and exclusively as its goal, mission, and calling.

Some don't.  So, by my math, spirituality wins.

6. EinderDarkwolf profile image61
    EinderDarkwolfposted 6 years ago

T.R. Brown - I use to believe the same thing. I still believe that there are those amongst the religions who do become spiritually enlightened. Unfortunately though I've also met a lot of literalists and they tend to lose sight of the spirituality.

reeltaulk - I understand what your saying, but everyone likes to learn something new. When I sit back and look at this, I can't help but try to understand what it is that seems to be missing. More especially missing from religion, as I thought they were suppose to be ways to enlightenment, which would be found through spirituality and not through a literalist view. I see more and more of a literalist view taken on every religion though and I'm having a hard time understanding that.

msorensson - I originally thought that way as well but I don't see it from others. I see everything being taken as literal or undeniable fact which doesn't make sense to me.

stanwshura - Your post unfortunately shows part of the view I was talking about. In the first two sentences you converted from spirituality to a God. That is one of the biggest problems I've seen. That's not spirituality. Spirituality starts from with in and vibrates with one's soul instead of grating against it.

Dubuquedogtrainer - I'm not sure you even understand what your saying. Just want to point out though, that the Bible is the religious doctrine for Christianity. That being said I assume that your for Religion.

Thank you all for your replies. Some of you have given me something to think about. I will think on this, and perhaps see about writing a hub dealing with such things. Thank you again for all the replies. (Feel free to reply still if you want, I will check back from time to time)

7. profile image0
    mcals71posted 6 years ago

Religion is the letter of the Law while Spirituality is the Spirit of the Law. The two should go together, but they often don't. However I'm happy to say that they do go together for me, so I don't have to choose. It took decades of discipline but I have integrated the two in my life and now I find no conflict and no need to reconcile the two, because for me they go together. I understand that the majority of the laity needs religion because religion offers practical guidance and a set of rules to abide by. Eventually, after having done that for many years, there comes a time when one graduates to something deeper and more meaningful such as a personal relationship with God, which is based on love and conformity to his Will, rather than fear to disobey His rules and incurring His wrath and condemnation. Adherence to one's religion with true commitment is the first step without which graduation to spirituality might never come, unless by "spirituality" one means "head tripping." In that case anyone can be spiritual. When one has reached the stage of spirituality, one doesn't abandon religion. On the contrary, religion is the vessel through which one's spirituality is channeled best.

working