jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How would you define "sin"?

1. Robert Erich profile image88
    Robert Erichposted 5 years ago

How would you define "sin"?

We all talk about "sinning" and "sinners". What does it mean to sin? How do you know if you have sinned or are sinning?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Rally good question! This is a term we use a lot but I personally don't think about exactly what it means. So let me see.....sin is transgression, or breaking God's law.

There are "ten commandments," but there is no one who can live without breaking at least one of them.

The ten commandments are meant to "convict" us of our sin, meaning, make us aware - make us aware that we need to be saved from the penalty for sin. "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

3. lovelife08 profile image60
    lovelife08posted 5 years ago

To put it simply, sinning is disobeying God's commands. Every single one of us sin every day in some form or fashion, and no one is immune to it.

I have sinned many times without knowing it, only to find out much later that I had sinned. I had NO idea at one point that gluttony is a sin. (For those who don't know what that is, it is basically overeating.)

Sinning is a human flaw. We will not be rid of it until we die.

4. Peace2009 profile image59
    Peace2009posted 5 years ago

the way a person does whatever they like while going in the wrong way eg going away from God & not trusting the moving of His Holy Spirit.

5. giopski profile image63
    giopskiposted 5 years ago

Sin is simply emphasizing "I" in the middle of it.  When one is too focused on one's selfishness then eventually that person could sin.  We could also define sin as the separation of oneself with God.  It's like a string that once it's cut (due to sin), the connection is also cut.  We disconnect ourselves from our source of goodness, who is GOD.

6. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

I see sin as falling short of the expectations that God has in me.