Can you go a day without sinning?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (31 posts)
  1. kellyteam profile image60
    kellyteamposted 11 years ago

Can you go a day without sinning?

Sin takes on many forms. Many people think they are good people, and they are. But, are they sinless? Is it possible, if you really try, to go a whole day without sinning?

2. krillco profile image87
    krillcoposted 11 years ago

No. But most folks have rather relative views of what 'sin' is. Simply by looking at the Ten Commandments (especially the 'coveting' ones), as well as the traditional Seven Deadly sins, one can see that avoiding all sin is humanly impossible.

kellyteamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is true! Jeremiah talks about the deceitful heart and only God knows it. What about dreams? Good response. Thanks.

3. profile image0
    SparrowMinistriesposted 11 years ago

Kellyteam,
    I have known people, and been to churches, that teach that if a Christian dies or Christ returns and they have any unconfessed sin in their life that they would go to Hell for all eternity. 

I believe such teaching waters down the gospel and minimizes the power of the Cross.  Jesus died once for all.  Once we accept Him as the propitiation for our sin, we are redeemed and that is the end of it.

Even Paul said that sin is always with him.  He said in our flesh dwells no good thing. And so sin is ever present in our flesh, whether we act upon it or not.  That is why we must depend on the Lord.

The Bible says in Jeremiah 17:9-10

The heart is deceitful above all things
        and beyond cure.
        Who can understand it?

“I the Lord search the heart
        and examine the mind,
    to reward a man according to his conduct,
        according to what his deeds deserve.”

Many people deceive themselves by thinking that if they are not actively committing a known sin, that they are innocent.  But our hearts deceive us and we justify our wrong attitudes or sometimes we are just not aware of them until the Holy Spirit sheds light on it.

So while I may go a whole day without breaking one of the ten commandments, Jesus calls us to a higher standard than that.  He is interested in our hearts-our mind, will, and emotions.  I don't think I will be free from sin until I am changed at the entrance to Heaven.

But one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind, I press on to the goal!

Great question!

Amen SparrowMinistries! Let's not forget about the sin of omission. James 4:17 says, Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him is is sin. A lot of people don't think about that one. Thanks so much for your comments.

4. profile image0
    lambservantposted 11 years ago

No. It can't be done. We sin in ways we do not realize we're sinning. Only Jesus Christ himself was sinless. You can however, sin less. But not in your own strength. When you get up in the morning, pray and ask God to help you be aware of temptations and give you the strength to abstain from fulfilling them.

Amen. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

5. Hmtrio2 profile image64
    Hmtrio2posted 11 years ago

According to scripture, all have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God. And again, the scripture says that we are all born into sin and shaped in iniquity. This tells me that we can not live totally sin free at this time. However, there is a day coming when we are delivered from these sinful bodies and giving glorified bodies that are beyond sin. Until then, although we may not smoke, drink or hate, sin is always lurking either in our feelings, thoughts or actions. That is the reason that forgiveness exist. that is the reason Christ died.  None of us are perfect. If we think we are, then we have committed the first sin: Pride.

So true, so true. Sin is ever present and its a challenge to not respond to it sometime. But, we have an advocate, hallelujah! Thank God for Jesus! Thanks for commenting.

6. BobMonger profile image60
    BobMongerposted 11 years ago

There are only two kinds of people that have no sin. There are those who haven't been born and those who have already died. All the rest of us need Jesus to redeem our souls.

Yes we do! Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

7. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 11 years ago

I think we sin daily.  I second Bob Monger's answer.  I knew a man who said that for days he did not sin, but for days he didn't smile either.

Lol. It is a daily struggle. We just have to wake up with our minds stayed on Jesus, still distractions will get you everytime. Thanks for the comment.

8. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

No.  On the days when I believe I had a good day, at night I before I get ready to pray and ask for forgiveness of any sins, etc., I ask the Holy Spirit to bring to my mind anything that I need to repent.  So, after about five minutes, oh, yes, I did do that; then after about another five minutes, oops, there's another one and so on an so on.  He will reveal those you have not even thought about.  I am so glad His mercies are new each and every mornings, as I am a sinner, and so I do need my Savior!  In His Love, Faith Reaper

Hey we need to pray for sins we can remember, sins we can't and sins we don't even know we committed. We just need to pray for forgiveness all the time. Thanks for your comments.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen Kelly!!!

9. movielardatadare profile image55
    movielardatadareposted 11 years ago

Personally, I think it's possible for a person to go a whole day without sinning.  I guess the best way for someone to do that is by sleeping for most of the day.  That way, the few hours they're up, they can try to read the Bible or think of Holy things.  I honestly think it's possible.  Let's face it.  Our Savior Jesus Christ went 33 years without sinning.  If He can go 33 years, then we can go at least 1 day without sinning.  Great question.

Sorry, no way in the world I can compare myself to Jesus!First of all He was born sinless. Can't even begin to catch up with that. The heart is deceitful and no but God knows it. You are entitled to your opinion, But I don't think its possible Thanks

2. movielardatadare profile image55
      movielardatadareposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Kelly, you bring up an interesting point.  I have a question for you.  Do you think that it was possible at any tiime for Jesus to sin while He was on this earth?  Or do you think it was impossible for Him to sin?  Just wondering.

3. kellyteam profile image60

Short answer No. This goes to the question of the impeccability of Jesus.

10. Virtuous1 profile image59
    Virtuous1posted 11 years ago

No one can go a day with out sinning because we all have fallen short of the glory of God and if we aren't sinning willfully than we sin not knowing. And because we aren't perfect like Jesus we will sin until He comes back the second time..AMEN

Amen! We will not be totally sinless but because we know Christ, we will sin less and less! Amen! Thanks for your comments.

11. profile image58
    kdawsonposted 11 years ago

Depends on what you consider a sin.  If you consider some technical mistake in dogma a sin, probably  daily, but then as I hold no allegiance to any formal religion, I don't know if I can sin, in the traditional sense.  However I do believe in sin and most of this has to do with failing to treat people decently.  By my standards (which are much higher than those of the Christians I was raised with)  In practical terms I haven't knowingly sinned in years.  By emotional, unspoken thoughts, I'm in trouble.

Aren't we all. those crazy thoughts, can't seem to keep them under control. Interesting that you don't believe you have knowingly sinned in years.   How could that be? I can't say that and I am a Bible believing Christian! Thanks for your comments.

2. profile image58
      kdawsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

kellyteam,  Many of the things church people consider as sins I don't consider as many things sins.   My morality has to do more with treating people decently and I haven't by intention cheated, robbed, insulted, assaulted or murdered anyone ever.

3. kellyteam profile image60

Hi kdawson. just want to say church people don't define sin, God's word does. My article Wellness plan for the soul refers to some of the scriptures for sin. Hope you take the time to read it. You have made this very interesting. Thanks.

12. Darrell Roberts profile image71
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

Wait, are you including thoughts, if you are then the answer is a definite no. 
    If we exclude thinking thoughts that we probably should not think, then yes.  I would be silent the whole day and avoid people as much as possible.  As a matter of fact, I would stay in my room all day and write love poems.

Best wishes.

Funny! Well you know your thoughts are a part of the overall scheme of things. But, you have a great plan for avoiding sin if thoughts don't count. Good answer. Thanks

13. unvrso profile image83
    unvrsoposted 11 years ago

Nobody in this world who belongs to the human race can live a single day without sinning.

Every single day, we humans are prone to fall into the temtation of sin either in thought, word of mouth or anything that comes through the senses.

If a single human could go on living without sinning, he or she would not longer belong to this world, but would have acquired a higher degree of understanding and would have gone to another spiritual state somewhere in the unknown, for us humans, spiritual world.

Thanks for your comments. You are so right on. There is no way to be in this world and not sin. Appreciate you taking the time.

14. The0NatureBoy profile image55
    The0NatureBoyposted 11 years ago

First of all, we must know "sin" literally means "to miss the mark" but because of the design of existence no man sins because we are all predestined to do whatever we do in life.  That is the purpose for Revelation 22:11, "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still." 

As for most Christians' concept of sin, anyone "Born Again" with testimony of their conception, gestation, trivial, birth, childhood, adolescence and adulthood, if there are any, can not sin per 1 John 3:9.   "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."   

Therefore, the only actual sin is "to not know the definition" of the term but accepting Christian's concept of it, which Isaiah 28:9 say we must stop as I've inserted interpretation.  "Whom shall he {I am that I am, called god} teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk {religion's teachings}, and drawn from the breasts {religious' teachers}."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)