jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Holy Communion or re-marry?

1. cherriquinn profile image79
    cherriquinnposted 5 years ago

Holy Communion or re-marry?

Would the Catholic church prefer living in sin after a divorce in order to receive Hoy Communion or re marry and denied this?
    Divorce is often the only resolution to marriages especially if the relationship has been violent yet the very Christians who need and want to receive Communion are denied this through the Catholic church if they find happiness in their lives and re-marry?

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
    Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years ago

Every church has different rules and beliefs. If you don't agree with this church then why don't you go to one that you agree with?

cherriquinnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes every faith has their own beliefs but how sad must it be if you've been raised and have followed particular teachings to suddenly feel abandoned by them. Thankyou for your comments.

2. Li Galo profile image76
      Li Galoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My church and I have the same attitude or someone would have ousted all us divorced and separated folks long ago. I'm happy with my church and plan to stay there. As for the Pope, I agree to disagree with him. He's just a man. Men make mistakes.

3. itakins profile image84
    itakinsposted 5 years ago

There is the option of a church annulment,but I believe this can be extremely expensive, and emotionally traumatic - they leave no stone unturned.
    It is a tough situation for many people !

It is an awful situation for many I agree itakins.This is especially tough when people are searching for support at difficult times in their lives from their church yet feel they're being turned away.

2. itakins profile image84
      itakinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It is puzzling why the sacrament of Holy Orders, which the church would not in any way see as a ‘lesser’ sacrament, can be revoked-and is relatively straightforward- in order for a priest to marry within the Catholic church .Yet, the whole process of

3. Amanda J Rose profile image89
      Amanda J Roseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Actually, most diocese underwrite the cost of an annulment and it is far less than a civil divorce. Certainly, those with financial need can be accomodated if they will only ask. Many people find the experience  healing.

4. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I am not a Roman Catholic, so I speak with little knowledge of  its church doctrine. From a common sense standpoint, I don't understand why Catholics have a strong rule about divorce while other Christian sects do not. I can only say that this mandate which comes from the 10 Commandments has been firmly reinforced by the Pope even though circumstances are outdated. You have tried to resolve them. The important thing is your relationship with God and the laws of the Bible, esp the New Testament. This approach makes the most sense to me.You should not be denied the sacraments.

cat on a soapbox
      Nice to hear from you! I completely agree with your opinions although in this question I was not referring to myself but someone close to me who experienced this many years ago.At a time she needed the church most she felt it was pus

5. heavenbound5511 profile image78
    heavenbound5511posted 5 years ago

This is why God wants us to have a relationship with him in Christ Jesus and he will never turns us away.

We all have made mistakes and some(MOST) for sure can't be undone. If we confess our sins to God he is faithful and just to forgive us. Because of Jesus we have right standing with God and no person in this world can take this right from us.

I personally would pray for God to lead me to another church- one that knows the love of God that passes all understanding. One that know there's is no condemnation to those that are in Christ Jesus.

We are no longer under the law but the grace of God- not that this gives us a green light to commit whatever sin that we desire.

1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.1 John 2

Yes divorce happens but God doesn't disown us- God heals marriages too when we seek for God's power,Holy Spirit-to lead us and get to know what his word says when it comes to marriage.We study The Word Of God ourselves to show ourself approved by God like His word says.We continue to have faith in God-means to trust God- that what he says he'll do, he will truly do-God is faithful and we wait for him knowing/believing that he will come through-right on time and never to late.True Holy Communion is found in Christ!

I hope all this helps. smile

heavenbound 5511
      Thankyou for for your words.I feel you are so right when you say true Holy Communion is found in Christ!

2. itakins profile image84
      itakinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sorry comment in the wrong place.

6. cherriquinn profile image79
    cherriquinnposted 5 years ago

Cat on a soapbox
    Some txt obviously missing from my reply to you!  should have read 'pushing her away'

1. cat on a soapbox profile image95
      cat on a soapboxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I see more and more how inflexible church doctrine is in its interptetation of scripture and the New Testament. It often does more damage than good for Christian faith.

7. Li Galo profile image76
    Li Galoposted 5 years ago

I am a Catholic who was not married in the Catholic church.  Even though I had Catholic premarital counseling with the church, they lost the paperwork!  I was married by a Christian minister in a private non-Catholic ceremony.  Later, I split with my ex.  When I inquired casually, I was told I was able to be married in the church since I had never been married in the church beforehand and there was no record of my old marriage in the church.  So, what does that mean?  Does that mean that any marriage that happened outside the Catholic church doesn't count to them because it wasn't recorded?  That doesn't sound right.  Anyway, all I know is that I DO get communion.  To me, my relationship is with the Lord, through JC, and the church just provides a framework.  The only person who can judge me is the Lord.  And there are other divorced and remarried people at my church that get communion, too.  No one is tackling them in the church aisle and there is no great keeping of the secrets happening.  Everyone knows what's up.  The lady who teaches catechism and runs religious ed has even been to my home and knows I'm a straight up single (divorced) mom.

You can call it cafeteria Catholicism or you can say what I do:  A person's relationship with the Lord is between that person and the Lord.  I don't need a Catholic referee to tell me if my relationship is right with the Lord or not.  I read my bible and let the Lord decide.

Here's some info from my Catholic church's website:  "Prior Marriages - If either person has been married before, there are additional issues to be resolved before setting a date for a Catholic ceremony. This takes extra time so please allow for it when setting your date. This must be discussed with the priest/deacon and resolved before proceeding with the wedding plans."  (Sounds like there's some wiggle room in there besides annulments)

Li Galo. Thankyou for your comments. It seems to me as though the Catholic church has somehow along the line 'lost the plot'a little as it appears so far removed now from the true teachings of the Gospels. Thankyou

working