jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)

Why is it frowned upon for a minister to have wealth?

1. ithabise profile image86
    ithabiseposted 5 years ago

Why is it frowned upon for a minister to have wealth?

It seems that even in ministry there is a new paradigm. Preachers today, even the honest ones, are not the ole reverend from yesteryear. Churches are big and ministry is expansive. But is it right to expect the leaders of these organizations to forgo what even outside surveyors deem is appropriate for their workload? Where is the line drawn?

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

"Seek ye first the kindgom of God, and all else will be added." It is not so much the having of wealth, as the seeking of it, and the not giving it to those in need of basic food, shelter, and clothing that do not match the Christian teachings.

There is a small gate through the stone wall that surrounds the Old CIty of Jerusalem, the city as Jesus knew it. The gate is named The Eye of the Needle. When a rich man deeply felt his need for God and asked Jesus for guidance, Jesus told him to live a prayerful and good life. The man said he did. Jesus, seeing the man's hunger for God, said, "give away your possessions and follow me." The man turned away sad, because he couldn't do that. Jesus commented that it is easier for a camel to get through the Eye of the Needle than it is for a rich man to get into Heaven. To get a camel through the Eye of the Needle in the wall of Jerusalem, all of its belongings must be taken off. Then the camel squeezes through, and the possessions are restored afterwards. (Matthew 19:24)

Just so, a man or woman (minister or otherwise) attached to things of this world cannot fully find and share the peace of God. Let us not try to serve two masters, but seek the Kingdom of Heaven first, and let all be added - for ourselves, and for all our brothers and sisters.

1. Gentle Fist profile image81
      Gentle Fistposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You have a great point here, sir!

3. Gentle Fist profile image81
    Gentle Fistposted 5 years ago

Mainly because people think that being wealthy is against the teachings of Christ. He did, after (or before) all, advise people to be "poor". But that does not necessarily have to be poor in material wealth, it might mean that the spirit needs to be "poor" or empty, so that the Holy ghost could enter into you. Ministers are allowed to be wealthy, after all they have worked and studied for their call - so it must pay off. Material wealth is not such evil if used properly. Now, why do we frown upon wealthy ministers? Not everybody frowns, but we might frown to those who are there solely for wealth and because one of religion's goals should be to help those who have less - but ministers do not help them, they even take money from people who have less then them. If everybody could do their work properly then it would all be okay, but it is is human nature to compete and one of religion's goals should be to overcome that low parts of human soul.

4. Mr. Happy profile image81
    Mr. Happyposted 5 years ago

I personally do not like it when the collection plate goes around ... the Great Spirit asks for no money and if people feel like donating, they can do so in private and not forced to by having a plate placed in their face ...

And we only have to look at how much wealth the Vatican has collected over the centuries ... they're like leprechauns, when most people in the world live for under two dollars per day.

I have nothing against religion in particular but institutionalized religions seems to have too many rotten leaders who use their respective religion to gain wealth, privilage and such. Just my opinion.

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Because man cannot worship God and mammon both. It's not wealth that's the issue - it's the pursuit of wealth.

6. willrodgers profile image71
    willrodgersposted 5 years ago

There is nothing wrong with wealth as long as it does not become the thing you worship.  I know several wealthy people who are good and true believers.  Could they minister the gospel from a Pulpit?  YES!
    There is no shame in having money and being a christian.  Again, the thing to remember is that you cannot make the money the idol of your worship.

When we read the life of Christ, we note that he often was supported by wealthy believers.  He would come to a town and tell His disciples go and see a certain man and he will provide a place and food for us.  Zacchaeus the Tax collector is an example; Nicodemus a wealthy member of the Sanhedrin met and secretly supported Christ.  He even gave Him a burial reserved for the wealthy in his own tomb. 
    Yes, you can be wealthy and be a believer in God's eternal salvation.  Remember that Grace is a gift you can't earn.!!

7. Xenonlit profile image62
    Xenonlitposted 5 years ago

For me, It depends on where that minister got his or her wealth.

Many ministers are also authors, consultants, workers and public speakers who make decent incomes from work outside the church. That is their business and they have a right to earn wealth that way.

It bothers me when ministers get rich from those tithing envelopes and collection plates, however. They should get a decent wage, according to the size and income of their constituencies, but to get rich off of people who may be responding to religious manipulation makes me sick.

8. MsDora profile image96
    MsDoraposted 5 years ago

The minister deserves his pay, but when he makes people who can't afford to give feel guilty; or when he suggests that God's blessing is dependent on their giving; or he does or say anything that loyalty to God is only about giving, it makes him seem selfish or insensitive.  In addition, some ministers seem to have much more than they need, while those who give to them make real sacrifices.

9. MilesArmbruster profile image59
    MilesArmbrusterposted 5 years ago

The pastor of the church I attend is one of the highest paid people I know. I would love to have half his salary, I would be set for life! Anyway, he is one of the worst preachers I have ever heard, and in any other job he would be fired for his ineptitude. He has been asked to step down a number of times, but he is too afraid to lose his job because of the economy. Hey, I understand that, I have been unable to find a job in a year,
    Ahhh... I am just griping. I think that pastors should be paid well - their jobs are difficult and demanding. I would be happy to be part of paying my pastor his mucho bucks if he were competent.
    At the same time, being so wealthy and ostentatious does seem to fly in the face of the fact that pastors are supposed to be examples and have a focus on the eternal world rather than comforts here.

10. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Because that is money for the church, not for the man. That money is for God's children. "When I was hungry, you fed me. When I was cold, you clothed me." That is what the money is for.

11. Darrell Roberts profile image71
    Darrell Robertsposted 5 years ago

Xenonlit had a great answer.

I agree that if a minster works and earns an income outside of the church then that perosn is entitled to their personal income.  However, if a person collects from the congregation to fill their own pockets, then they should be put in jail for fraud.

Best wishes,

Have a great day.