Why are so many people obsessed with money and wealth?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 9 years ago

Why are so many people obsessed with money and wealth?

2. Katrina Speights profile image68
    Katrina Speightsposted 9 years ago

Because we have been taught all of our lives that it is the key to happiness, health and security. We are trained from a young age that this is the way to go. We are not taught that it can be very difficult if you follow the "normal" path. Nor are we taught how to really achieve this. So a lot of people spend their whole lives in jobs that slowly kill them, never realizing that the reasons they were working for were flawed in the first place.

Kenna McHughposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's true. I wasn't raised to want money or things. We weren't well off either, but I didn't know it could have been better. Looking back,  I know if we had more money it would have been better.

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

This is a simple question but a straight simple answer is impossible.

As far as I can tell the financial/bartering/trading systems we've built up over millenia have always involved accumulation of currency, goods and land/property. Rarely have we invented a system of equal exchange (if you don't count the Marxist attempts) because it seems that as humans we prefer to have inherent imbalances in the way we go about our business.

So the Few end up controlling the Many. What the Few do the Many tend to copy.

Rampant capitalism has helped fuel the obsessions of the Few. That's why we see obscene amounts of material wealth now all over the globe contrasting unhealthily with dire poverty in some regions. In the western world many are becoming sick through want of wealth and 'things'. It's worrying I admit but I guess obsession has always been around in some form - it just seems outrageously stupid in these digital days of the web and what not.

I can envisage a future somewhere on the planet when everyone has loads of everything and obsession is something you take a tablet for....oh hang on, isn't this already the case?

Maybe celebrity is now the new obsession?

If obsession was just in a tablet, iPad, we'd lack the true meaning of life, living.  I am not a fan of Marxist because in the true sense only a few would shoulder the world. We'd lack in wanting more.

4. peeples profile image91
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

Money is required to have a good life, at least in my country. My child wants a bike? Do I have money for it? We want food, a roof, a vehicle, all of it requires money. Anyone who says money doesn't buy happiness has never been so poor that they have no where to sleep or no way to feed their children.

That's true. But don't you think seeing others have everything they want makes others who don't have everything they want feel low? The old "have and have nots."

2. peeples profile image91
      peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Course of life and good for those who see others and try to attain what they have. I see that as a positive.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Yes. I can see how that could work for the best.

4. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

AMEN to that.  Money is very important in this society. Can't live of air, why can't some people realize this?

5. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9028715_f260.jpg

Having money and particularly having wealth is the difference between socioeconomic struggle and having the ultimate financial freedom.  When one has little money, he/she is not living a comfortable life of choices.  He/she is worried about how to socioeconomically survive, making ends meet..  His/her main concern is worrying about putting food on the table, where he/she will live, and in generally suriving at the most basic level with very little or no choices instead of really living. 

Many people are 1.5 paychecks from homelessness and utter penury.  So it is smart that people be obsessed with money and wealth.  It is only an unwise person or a very wealthy one who is NOT obsessed with money and wealth.  People realize that money and wealth guarantee a higher standard/quality of life which one does not have if one has little money and is living at a bare knuckle socioeconomic level.

When one has money/wealth, there is more choices in life.  He/she has the freedom to live in the choicest and most desirable neighborhoods and districts.  He/she can afford the best education for his/her children.  He/she has the best quality of medical, health, and dental care-these things AREN'T cheap.  The more money, the better quality overall.  Also, money and wealth equals POWER+RESPECT+INFLUENCE. 

A wealthy person has more power to make changes and reformations than a person who ...well ISN'T.  When one is wealth, he/she has more ownership over his/her life than a person who isn't wealthy. Having money, particularly wealth, means more unlimited choices than one has when he/she ISN'T wealthy.  Poorer people are slaves in one way or another in society while wealthier people do not have to be.

Very good points. Money is power. What about the French revolution? When, obviously, the aristrocats had money, lots of it, but fell to the poor in the streets and the guillotine.

6. liesl5858 profile image81
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

I think some people are obsessed with money and wealth because that is what they think that will make them happy. People with money seem to get whatever they want but us poor people have to think where to spend our few pennies sensibly and sometimes we don't have pennies to rub together.
    As for me, as long as I have a roof over my head, have food to eat and have few pennies for my bills, I am quite happy. I am not obsessed with money that I will overlook my own health. My health comes first before money because if I am ill, I can't enjoy my money.

Good points. What if you didn't have enough money to care for your home or get your kid to college? You would still be happy?

7. stricktlydating profile image85
    stricktlydatingposted 9 years ago

To live a good lifestyle free from financial worries. For themself and their family.

8. profile image58
    Della30posted 9 years ago

Well its advertised that it can make you happy and when you have it all things will fall into place.  Like you'll get that spouse and the perfect family just get money and lots of it.  But thats not the truth.  The only things that are priceless on earth; cannot be bought with money.  Those are things your soul should strive for.

I agree. You can't take it with you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)