jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the possible interpretation of the Ouroboros?

1. silverstararrow profile image82
    silverstararrowposted 5 years ago

What is the possible interpretation of the Ouroboros?

The serpent (dragon) that swallows its own tail has significant relevance in Roman/Greek and other historic cultures (civilizations). What does it actually indicate? There are many interpretations. Do share your thoughts. smile

2. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

It indicates the cycle of rebirth..unless conscious effort is made to get out of it. It also symbolizes that desire is never ending unless we confront them and transcend them. It is the way to keep us trapped and ignorant about our own true nature.

3. profile image0
    technibzposted 5 years ago

I am also fascinated by this symbol. I know people use it to symbolize eternity and infinity. But I also believe it has something to do with the relationship between life and death. On another note, it is also somewhat intriguing to me as a bit of mathematical (spatial) conundrum. Because obviously the snake will never reach its head, or would it? Hahah. Do recommend a good book about it if you happen to know one please? I've been scouring for good "symbology"(

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

The interdepedence of alll things
    The wheel of becoming, of life and death and returning.

5. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

One meaning of Ouroboros is the world-encircling snake, defining the boundaries of Midgard, or Middle Earth, the realm in which we mortal humans dwell. The symbolism, therefore, is that our lives are currently in a world strongly separated from any other world, be it an underworld, a land of the dead, an immortal elven land, or a heaven. Therefore, it reminds us of our inevitable destiny as mortal - we cannot escape bodily death.