jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Would you vote for a presidential candidate who wasn't Christian?

1. peanutroaster profile image70
    peanutroasterposted 5 years ago

Would you vote for a presidential candidate who wasn't Christian?

A October 2010 poll conducted by LifeWay Research, three out of four American Protestant pastors did not believe that Mormons are Christians.  Evangelists have a tough decision ahead in the upcoming election for President of the United States.

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I personally don't see what someone's religion, or lack thereof for that matter, would have to do with their ability to lead the country.  People need to vote based on what our country needs, not on religion.  That being said, I wouldn't vote for Romney based on who he is and his policies - I could care less if he is Mormon, Jewish, Muslim or Atheist.  I feel he is the wrong choice based on the policies he is pushing and the fact that he has been so changeable on so many subjects.  He's just not in touch with working people and has a past of shutting down companies and putting people out of work - that's what bothers me - not his religion.  I agree its a tough decision ahead - because I don't care for a lot of what Obama has stood for either NDAA primarily.  Once again lesser of two evils I'm afraid - sigh.

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't have said it better! Great Answer!

3. TheLifeExperiment profile image58
    TheLifeExperimentposted 5 years ago

Definitely. I like people who make decisions based on pure fact and reason, not faith or what their religion tells them. Not to sound mean, but non-religious people tend to go through things more thoroughly and figure out how decisions will affect everyone, and in what ways. Religious people tend to decide based on how it will affect their chances of getting into heaven. Again, I know I'm generalizing, but it would be nice to have a leader who looks at things from a different perspective.

peanutroasterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Decisions based on reality - facts, reason, truth instead of woo-woo.  Sounds good to me.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

Personally, yes, I would vote for a non-Christian candidate. But realistically, it won't happen for a very long time (I'm thinking centuries). Right now Christianity is the dominant religion in the United States and politicians have to take that into consideration when running for office. If the candidate isn't Christian, then a great deal of people (enough to swing an election) will distrust them for no other reason than their faith. Atheists are one of the least trusted groups in America and it has nothing to do with their actions and everything to do with an unfair association with a lack of morals. Having religion doesn't make someone a better person; only their actions can speak for their character. But associating a religion with morals is the easy way out so most Americans do it. It's the same thing with buying into inaccurate attack ads. Sure, you could go look up the facts yourself, but it's so much easier to listen to the television. I would argue that a number of politicians hold beliefs that don't mesh with Christianity, but they belong to the faith for no other reason than political leverage. Coming out as an atheist or a Muslim would effectively end a politician's career.

Ahhh...morals based on fear of burning in hell are somehow better than morals based on common good, mutual respect and caring.

5. Wayne Tilden profile image58
    Wayne Tildenposted 5 years ago

First of all, I don't consider a candidate's religion when I consider his ability to do the job of president - or any other position, for that matter.

The fact is, our "founding fathers" were not actually Christians. They were Unitarians. That is, they did not believe in the trinitarian theology of God - the three-fold personalities. Yet "we" always talk about the great Christian founding of our country and the "founding fathers" who drafted and signed the Declaration of Independence.

But I digress!

Those candidates who were vocal about their Christianity were held up to a MUCH higher standard than any who didn't make any such statement. Jimmy Carter, the first president to "admitted" to being a Christian was held to the highest standards of any president previous.

(John F. Kennedy, a Catholic, was also viewed with suspicion as much about his religion as to being a member of the great "Kennedy Clan".

I believe no one's religious beliefs should have anything to do with their political "beliefs".

I have always said that a candidate's promises don't really mean that much, anyway. It will take him/her the first three years just to clean out their predecessor's "IN" box.

In short, Yes I would.

But truly wouldn't you question the intelligence or mental stability of a candidate if he/she has some really far out religious beliefs?

6. Amanda Gee profile image60
    Amanda Geeposted 5 years ago

I would, of course! smile Their religion has nothing to do with the person they are, and how well the will be able to run a country. Unfortunatly, I do agree that most people would associate being a Christian with morals, and as a good thing. I am not christian, so it's not a requirement for my future president to be one. If he has good moral judgement, has a good heart, is sincere with his words and is truely intent on making our country a better place, then I really don't care what or who he worships. You don't have to be a christian to be a good person, it's your heart and your actions that make you a good person. Not your religion.

7. Daniella Lopez profile image91
    Daniella Lopezposted 5 years ago

YES! A million times... YES! In fact, I would love to finally see a candidate (not third party) who was of a different religion than Christianity. I may or may not vote for them, but that would have nothing to do with their religion and more to do with their policies.