jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Should governments penalize cults that encourage destruction of family ties?

1. Athlyn Green profile image96
    Athlyn Greenposted 5 years ago

Should governments penalize cults that encourage destruction of family ties?

Certain cults teach that it's loving discipline to engage in shunning if a member does not do what is expected. While freedom of religion and belief is important, when teachings are psychologically damaging to familial relationships and cross reasonable boundaries should steps be taken to protect people?

2. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

Certainly not by the government. As we've seen time after time in every region of private life onto which we have allowed it to trespass, once permitted through any clear boundary it knows no limits.

3. Brett Winn profile image88
    Brett Winnposted 5 years ago

The government should protect us from invading nations and provide roads. It is hard to imagine what other real function they should have .... but certainly they have no business interfering with individual families and beliefs. IMO.

4. edhan profile image59
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Teaching should be done at home where parents should educate children of the dangers aspect of cults.

From my years of growing up and meeting with many different encounters, I sincerely believe that parents can put in a better effort to talk with their children about lives and their encounters. With parents past experiences to convey, I do believe children will understand of what are dangerous and not to be involved with.

It is always important for parents to play a part in their children's lives as they are growing up and learning new things. Parents should act a role as friend to guide.

5. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

my general POV is "freedom of religion" should not be "100% unlimited"--  if it's truly harmful to someone, the government/law SHOULD intervene.  religions that teach beating children, withholding lifesaving medical treatment, etc.
    however, I have no idea what the government/law could actually do in situations like shunning--  religious or otherwise.

1. Athlyn Green profile image96
      Athlyn Greenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree, lawmakers should protect the innocent against teachings that are abusive and that cause harm. Organizations should not be free to encourage harmful practices or beliefs.

working