jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Can anyone explain Unitarian Universalism to me?

1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Can anyone explain Unitarian Universalism to me?

After visiting their main website I am still clueless as to what they actually stand for.

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

In the UU church the focus is more on building community, building individuals etc.  There is no dogma there, they focus on exploring all different types of beliefs and will accept you no matter what you believe.  You can be an atheist and be part of a Universalist Unitarian church.  I love that church because it is more about fellowship without religious BS.  Yes, they explore some religious principles and philosophies - but it's about learning about all the different types of belief systems, not telling anyone what to believe or not to believe. 

The closest one to me is 45 minutes away so we don't attend, but I would love to.  I know people who go there and they do a lot of good in their community with their programs. 

Sometimes not standing for anything is the best path - it opens you up to exploring all the possibilities. I don't look at them that way though, I look at them as standing for the value of each person and for being open minded.

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The one here is 45 minutes away also, I'm debating on making the drive. Sounds like what I have been looking for.

3. profile image0
    Marie Brannonposted 5 years ago

At the UU church in Houston, Texas, the focus seems (to me) to be more on LGBT rights than anything else.  Unfortunately, I'm not an activist of any ilk, so I've only attended services once. 

I agree with Christin's overview of the church, and if there were one in my area without such a political agenda, I would attend and join.

Just my two cents' worth.

4. Mike Marks profile image74
    Mike Marksposted 5 years ago

first of all, note the 7 principles of UU: 

The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
    Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

some UUers believe that it is all summed up in the 7th, final principle.  UU is based on "humanism"  and its members included Walden's Thoreou and Ralph Waldo Emerson.

They believe in love and kindness, and to actively express such in their works in their community.   They respect anyone's belief, though there may be arguement about a belief conforming to love, kindness, and the seven principles.  You may enter an athiest, a christian or jew or moslem, a hundu or buddhist, a shaman or witch... the response will be "that's interesting, how does that work for you, how does that work for all creaturekind and the planet?  UU will not try to bend you to any of the listed belief systems or their denominations, for me the definition of a noncult.  Some churches have a minister, some choose, and are free to choose, to be laylead allowing members of the congregation to take turns giving a sunday presentation.

Some "religions" will host a costly revival in a stadium to celebrate God's love... UU would sponsor a refuge from Burma to express their love... or, in line with the principle of respect, support issues such as gays right to marriage.

5. kaloomba profile image77
    kaloombaposted 5 years ago

The bottom line is that it is a collective group of individuals, coming from all walks of life, that gather under the same "roof", bringing their OWN ideas and principals to the table. This setting provides a place for A LOT of strange and unusual beliefs where people can go and not expect to be judged for these beliefs. This includes the gay lifestyle as well as all other manners of beastiality, etc., which became rampant back in Caligula's day (the Roman emperor of his time)...

1. Mike Marks profile image74
      Mike Marksposted 5 years agoin reply to this

you make the leap from gay to beastiality?  Out of kindness to peeples, the person asking the question, perhaps you could restrain yourself from offering disinformation, or as some people call it "lying", to suit whatever your personal agenda is.

2. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Kaloomba I did not mean to delete your comment, feel free to repost. I meant to hit the comment button! My apologies.

3. kaloomba profile image77
      kaloombaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Mike, I have no other agenda than to help people understand that embracing or adopting an "anything goes" mentality provides the opportunity for ALL manners of beliefs, attitudes, and behavior!