jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What are the major tips to be the best speaker in public?

1. myownlife profile image41
    myownlifeposted 5 years ago

What are the major tips to be the best speaker in public?

It has been an utmost desire to be a speaker but haven't done it yet. Sometimes I think I haven't  got an adequate guts, I would be so pleased having some tips and further help from respected Hubbers.

2. mollymeadows profile image79
    mollymeadowsposted 5 years ago

If it helps, they say most people are more afraid of public speaking than of dying, so you're not alone :-) I would say the main thing is to be prepared. Have your remarks all worked out ahead of time. There are many websites on the Internet that give tips on how to write and deliver a good speech.

After you've prepared, the second most important thing is to just relax.

I hope you give it a try.

myownlifeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks @ mollymeadows, I will try to go for websites.
      Thanks

3. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

another tip:  be confident about what you say. 
    this can make the experience easier for you, and also keep your audience interested.

Thanks @starmom41, I will try my best.
      Thanks again

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Relax, and don't be too tied to your text.  3 points:  1)Tell them what you are going to tell them, 2) then tell them, 3) tell them what you told them.

In other words, an opening, the body of your discussion and a quick review.  Look up and out over the audience, then choose a face and speak to that person for just a second or two, then move on, and do it again.  Pres. Obama might not be my candidate but he is a fantastic public speaker.  You could learn quite a bit from watching him and how comfortable he is.

Thanks @duffsmom, I will follow your advice and of course Pres Obama is born to speak I mean I personally like his speech so keep on watching via youtube.
      Thanks again.

5. Civil War Bob profile image60
    Civil War Bobposted 5 years ago

Let's see...
    1. Know whatever it is you want to talk about well.
    2. Really believe in what you want to say.
    3. Make it come from your heart and it will change others' hearts.
    4. Speak TO people, not AT them.
    5. Say what you have to say and then stop without going on forever.
    With that last one, I'll quit! wink

Thanks @civil war Bob, I will try those tips which you have mentioned. Thanks again.

6. dlegendre profile image60
    dlegendreposted 5 years ago

Be passionate and an expert on your subject.  Practice and follow your outline to keep it flowing.  Make sure eveyone can hear you and the room is not too cold or too hot.  Have frequent coffee breaks and snacks.  If an all day seminar, lecture or workshop plan to end it early and you'll get return followers.  Go late and past time and you might not get many listeners the second time.

Thanks @ dlegendre, this is great idea about the room temperature  and all.
      Thanks again.

working