jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

What is it about religion and politics that gets people so amped up?

1. Jesse Mugnier profile image75
    Jesse Mugnierposted 5 years ago

What is it about religion and politics that gets people so amped up?

I just don't understand why some people feel that their opinion matters more above everyone else's. When, clearly, their opinion is wrong.

2. watergeek profile image96
    watergeekposted 5 years ago

Proselytyzing. In my family, those two topics raise hackles, like you said. It's like there's only a right and a wrong, black or white, no in-betweens, no maybe this and maybe that, no yes this but also that.

The media hypes it that way too, not with religion, but with politics. You're either this or that. Well, I belong to the Green Party, but I never hear anything about that party and rarely any other besides Dems and Reps in the media. They like a fight. They sensationalize little things. They turn party politics into black & white issues, so it's natural that individuals should do the same.

3. tussin profile image60
    tussinposted 5 years ago

With that attitude I think you will enjoy trolling the religion and politics forum.

Jesse Mugnierposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No, honestly that last comment was a joke. But I'm sure I'll wind up there smile

4. ThompsonPen profile image78
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

I think it's because they boil down to a belief system, and many people live and have values in a belief system. If one has a very high value of something, they live by it, or try to live by it, and think that every one should because in their reality it is of the up most importance. That's not to say that this is a good or bad thing. Personally, I hold say the environment as a very high importance. It's part of my spirituality and I believe that in order to succeed as a species, the environment should be strongly considered and we should be working on ways to help it. It comes into politics because politics dictates where our money goes. There is money in oil, there is money in timber and cotton, none of these things are environmentally friendly. There's money in renewable energy, but not as much. As a result, my spiritual belief comes into politics. I get amped up about it because I believe it is important for not only our survival, but for our childrens' children, should we get so far.
    I think every one's beliefs should be respected and treated with care. They are what create an individual, and to tell some one that their beliefs or view is wrong is to tell a person that they are wrong in their core. I don't want to be told that my belief and values in the environment are wrong, just like some one else might not want to be told that their emphasis on family living is wrong. No one should be denied their right to be who they are. I think everyone can agree when I say no one wants to be told how to think. Unfortunately, not many people apply it to those that are not themselves.

5. adamknows profile image60
    adamknowsposted 5 years ago

The fact that it is getting increasingly easy to make it sound like you know what you are talking about. Hip hip hooray.

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

WOW!!! Then who is right???????????????

I am and that's the point. Why do some people feel like their opinion is greater than others?  The last part was a joke to prove a point.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

OH okay lol

7. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

Isn't the statement, "when, clearly, their opinion is wrong" your opinion of their opinion, which may be wrong? Or, did you do that purposely?
         Those two subjects are amped up by some people because they are a safe haven for someone to make a statement with no fear of being proven wrong. They aren't right or wrong subjects. Someone used the word "beliefs". I agree. Although beliefs are different from opinions, they can be challenged, but not proven wrong.
         Your question makes me laugh. Not because it's a bad question. It's an excellent question. I laughed because of the irony. I asked myself," Who are these amped up people?" And I realized that most of them arepeople that probably won't set foot in a church for the next ten years and haven't voted since Richard Nixon. Kick that around for a minute. Thanks

Done purposely, to prove my point. Thank you for your answer.

Closed to reply