jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (23 posts)

What is your definition of forgiveness?

1. sherrituck profile image89
    sherrituckposted 5 years ago

What is your definition of forgiveness?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

What would Jesus do? This is the greatest definition in the world. He will forgive everyone, all you have to do is believe and ask for forgiveness. We should strive to be Christ like. smile

1. lone77star profile image84
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So, what is forgiveness? What would Jesus do?

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Forgiveness is a place in your heart where there is no malice. Forgiveness is love for your fellow man. As Jesus said, Love one another.

3. sherrituck profile image89
      sherrituckposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think being mindful that we need to forgive is one step closer to being like Christ even though  we may not fully be able to forgive others (like Christ forgave those that crucified him).  It's just one of those human struggles we all must endure.

4. lone77star profile image84

Beautiful answer, @JThomp42.

5. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you lone.

3. profile image0
    vonda g nelsonposted 5 years ago

Realistically speaking for me forgiveness spells r.e.s.p.o.n.s.i.b.i.l.i.t.y and should be held in a light and viewed as "something of importance".   Who randomly gives away or makes available anything they've consider IMPORtant.  ie:  knowledge, secrets, time, finance and energy.  If this is so.... it is given/shared with someone that's considered responsible.  Then again there is always the exception to the rule and as always people are entitled to do as they choose.

Wow. Awesome answer. That's what I figure "turning the other cheek" is -- responsibility.

2. profile image0
      vonda g nelsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am not saying to turn the other cheek....as a matter of fact I am not suggesting TO DO anything, but to be mindful of (if u choose) who you decide to take the initiative to forgive.  Especially when then they are not worthy of being forgiven.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

It will be better with forgiveness than feeling the hatred or being angry as it will do you no good.

I am a person who is ever ready to let go my anger of anyone who had done wrong.

5. Globetrekkermel profile image78
    Globetrekkermelposted 5 years ago

forgiveness= if they throw you a stone, throw them bread.

This idea of forgiveness is beautiful.  It is one of the ways I personally define forgiveness and one of the things I have difficulty doing.

6. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

"Turn the other cheek" is basically it for most occasions. There is no way, however, I could ever do that to a proven (cold blooded) murderer, swindler or parent guilty of incest. When someone feels (or the people around them) there's something wrong they should see help.

Seeking help is good, but turning the other cheek would apply to everyone -- murderers, rapists, swindlers and more. Especially when they seem bent on doing it again and again. Forgiveness is letting go being a victim.

2. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, victims want to forgive and try to forget to get on with their lives. But the nightmares they wake up from or the abnormality that is rooted in their personalities afterwards do not allow many to do either. Forgiveness is indeed divine.

3. lone77star profile image84

Nightmares and damage to the psyche can be tough, if we let them. But all we need do is "ask" (not with fear or uncertainty, but with unshakable confidence) that the burdens be lifted from you. There is no scarcity with God

4. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Here's a wish that your deep convictions be reality for all those out there who suffer malice.

7. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

True forgiveness is taking 100% responsibility, leaving no room for blame.

True forgiveness is loving the perpetrator with all your heart.

True forgiveness is utter humility not to think yourself important.

True forgiveness is perfect confidence that nothing can harm you -- the real you, the child of God, within.

True forgiveness is turning the other cheek, but never being a victim. Ever.

1. Globetrekkermel profile image78
      Globetrekkermelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

great!!!!! lonestar!!! bravo!

8. loyalsudz profile image60
    loyalsudzposted 5 years ago

Forgiveness is a gift that God gives to you so that you can move forward and move on with your life after something bad has occurred.  There may or may not be signs of immediate justice as in the case of some crimes which people can and do get away with from time to time.  It is not dependent on time, it can happen at anytime because God is God.  When we experience this type of love that does not hold on to our wrong doings, we get a glimpse of how swift God's forgiveness is towards us and how good it feels to be loved and accepted by God.  God's love covers a multitude of sins. As we pray the Lord's Prayer, we say forgive us our sins as we forgive those who trespass against us.  There is accountability in forgivess.  But even if someone is convicted of a crime against you and your family/friends, it does not mean it will bring you peace of mind.  The gift of forgiveness goes above and beyond justice, for it is mercy itself.  You may visit someone who has caused you great harm in prison and show them kindness.  That is mercy.  Because what they have done does not define who you are to God.  God defines who you are.  You are a child of God, always.

I am not there in all things yet but I find that forgiveness will always be a gift that is available to me if I am God willing open to receiving it from others and imparting it to others.

I am still working on a few of these things as well.  That God for His grace.

9. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 5 years ago

Forgiveness can come in many forms, from not holding grudges, to letting go and moving on.  It doesn't mean that you have to forget.  It just means not hosting a negative victimization that keeps you hostage toward the wrong doing/doer.

working