Is there a Spiritual Significance to Butterflies?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 11 years ago

Is there a Spiritual Significance to Butterflies?

I see them a lot these days and people send me a lot of butterfly photos? Just wondering....
    (I would have liked to put this under "Spiritual" but we don't have that category)

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7374880_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

It emerges from a cocoon ..period of darkness and hibernation, at which time it is formng its wings...analogous to..uncertainty.. a point of decision whether to fly or not..

Lady_Eposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. :-)

3. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

The butterfly is a totally spiritual animal. I do not know all of the specifics but when innocent little children see them there is something special happening. When I see one I am transported immediately to a happier place. When they land on my roses it is as though they are butterfly kissing. Perhaps they are risen angels. Risen from the darkness by the warmth of the glowing light of the sun.
    PS There must be a spiritual reason that there is no spiritual category.

Beautiful and useful to read. I laughed at the last sentence.

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My boy in his terrible twos loves to run and chase and catch. A  beautiful butterfly. Buom Buom is how we say it in Vietnamese. But he go to close to catching it and had to dive out of the way to save the beautiful Buom Buom. Skinned his knee. Happy.

4. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7375000_f260.jpg

Absolutely, their life cycle is significantly transforming; the parallels or perhaps, I should respond, metaphors to our spiritual life are uncanny. In early Christianity, the butterfly was a symbol of the soul...

Thanks for that.

2. HeartandSoulMom profile image60
      HeartandSoulMomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My 15 year old daughter passed away November 7th. At her graveside service, a butterfly landed peacefully on the flowers atop her casket. Everyone, including the pastor stopped. Your comment made me cry and now I must go search the symbolism.

5. Sarah Christina profile image69
    Sarah Christinaposted 11 years ago

I have always loved butterflies, I remember first seeing one at age 2 or 3 and I turned to my mom and said "Oh look, a flower bird!" and I remember being so amazed. And my mother thought that was a much better name for them.
    Additionally, in my family, we would always give each other what we called "butterfly kisses" by holding your eye very close to someone's cheek, and then blinking rapidly so that your eyelashes tickle their cheek.

Symbolically, to me, the butterfly's metamorphosis represents spirituality. You are born just a human but once you realize you have a soul and that their is a God, you are reborn as a spiritual being, or awakened. Enlightened. Whatever word you want to use, but it all represents the same thing. We grow and transition as spiritual beings throughout our life, just as the butterfly ever morphs throughout it's life. Or you could view it as, the human body is a just a cocoon, and when we die we transform into spirit form or pure energy, just as a caterpillar becomes a butterfly.

I also just realized that in my profile picture, I'm wearing a butterfly necklace (one of my favorite necklaces). What a funny coincidence.

Thanks Sarah. I read your answer a few times to ensure I got the full message. It's a nice and funny coincidence, that  you are wearing one in your profile photo.

2. Sarah Christina profile image69
      Sarah Christinaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome, and I appreciate you taking the time to read my comment. smile

6. midget38 profile image87
    midget38posted 11 years ago

They symbolize transformation and change....when the caterpillar morphs into a butterfly, the transformation takes on the added meaning of hope. Thanks for this great question!

Thanks Michelle.

7. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Butterflies show us the cycle of life.

The entire process of being a worm and go through the cocoon before emerging as the butterfly is the cycle.

To break the reborn cycle, you have the understand about the way of enlightenment which I am currently in search of so that I can stop rebirth and be in the spiritual world.

Thanks. Hope you find the way of enlightenment.

8. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Hi Lady E , when I see the monarch dancing along the tops of the  newly flowered  goldenrod , I am transported to another time , another summer long ago that won't leave my memory . Yes they are magical and spiritual .  Ever thought of how delicate a life span they have . Rain , wind  and the heat of the sun ! Spititual Oh yea !........:-}

Thanks for that. :-)

9. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

Yes. The dragonfly too. Skunks help and so do moose. I like the raccoon at times. Rather than share the what of the spiritual significance I would suggest seeking the why of late. Sometimes we listen by seeing, although words are never spoke. Abundance, may be the key to peer within and discover the who, maybe you. Receiving is significant of giving. Reaping what is sown cosmically is a mystery it seems. A wing flutters here and change occurs there. Maybe, just maybe it is a presence of distinction as you may have been chose, for what, may be the mystery today. Yet tomorrow unfolds like the pedal of a flower offering its gentile nature to those busy bees, seeking nurture of the pollen offered by nature.

A flutter here, soar along the breeze of destiny,
    Seek the past of tomorrow from today, find the key,
    It is  nearer than the light of day, its hue is not darkness,
    Seek the picture chose, see the clues of within, notice . . .

(Footnote: This commenter is in a state of 'theta' and offers only spontaneity of what has been writ and felt of all inclusive of this moment. Eyes are fixed, drawn upon the contrast of a blur, as today arrives, while seeing where the beauty perches upon. Soon its little feet becomes a messenger, spreading the nectar of good cheer to others. That butterfly, offers inspiration with wisdom of not then, yet closer, knowing soon a wing will flutter and somewhere something will change . . .)

thank you, Lady_E for the thoughts of now offering a moment of presence allowing escape from what lay next, tick-tock . . .

Tim

Thanks Tim. You gave a lot to ponder over. I appreciate you stopping by.

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

your welcome. Remember that TV show Wings? Hmmm was that really a butterfly?

10. raquelpier profile image67
    raquelpierposted 11 years ago

I don't know if I heard it or read it or if it is just something I told myself (made up), but I heard that if you whisper your message/wishes to a butterfly, they carry them up to the heavens...that is and can only be done when 'transformation' takes place, otherwise they all remain trapped within the confounds of a cocoon. Could be why the idea of releasing them at weddings and funerals is so 'spiritual' to me...

Thanks. That's very interesting. I'll try it when I see one. :-)

11. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

Lady E, I always am blessed in seeing rainbows everywhere, and in the most amazing places, shapes and colors.  I know it's God's way of expressing his love to me.

12. Support Med. profile image62
    Support Med.posted 11 years ago

I'm certain there is more to it than what I'm about to say. I, too, believe that there is a spiritual significance to butterflies - when I had a garden I liked to have flowers that attracted butterflies. As most said, I think they greatly convey the message of change (as seen in their humble, yet struggling beginnings in becoming an actual butterfly). I also feel they represent success and the necessity to fellowship with one another as is seen in their migration (perhaps that is why you are seeing them so much, they are preparing for, if not already on their way to migrating to Mexico) and those who survive will return from whence they came, creating more life along the way. Certainly a testimony of strength, endurance, survival, unity and remembering to behold the beauty of life even in the toughest of times.  Have a joyful one Lady_E smile

13. cynthiaalburo0322 profile image58
    cynthiaalburo0322posted 10 years ago

Yes, Our spiritual journey may refer to a butterfly.In Psalm 22, Jesus, describing His Passion, says, "I am a worm, and no man"."
    I taught that Christ called Himself a worm, not because He was abandoned and crucified, but because He would rise again in a glorified body like the caterpillar who emerges from his tomblike chrysalis in the form of a beautiful butterfly.
    No matter how it is reached, the butterfly is a symbol of change for the better.
    "The Lord does not want our struggles to be easy, If they were too easy, we would not become strong enough to walk in what He has called us to."
    As Christians our journey is to struggle out of the cocoon and become a new being.

14. Borsia profile image39
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

I love butterflies and I feel special when one lands on me but I don't see them as any more spiritual than other things of nature.
    To me nature in whole is spiritual it is a place yet infinite and filled with wonder beyond all measure.

15. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 10 years ago

I think butterflies are very spiritual beings; maybe it is because they do no harm to other creatures. There is also a pre-Christian Norse and Saxon belief that butterflies are the reincarnations of women who were wrongfully murdered or abused in life. According to the tradition, priestesses of Frigga were trained to read the color and fold patterns of the wings, as the individual murder or abuse victim's transgressor was said to be revealed by these things. Once victim received earthly justice her soul and the Goddess were satisfied and the victim went to join the gods and her ancestors.

16. Lee Tea profile image84
    Lee Teaposted 10 years ago

Seems everyone else has thoroughly explored the metamorphasis and complete change aspect.  The one thing I learned that I remember most is that when you see a butterfly, it signifies that everything is ok - that all is right with the world. 

That resets my positive mental attitude every time one crosses my path.

Be well,
    Lee @ Lee's Teas

17. beatmakersnet profile image61
    beatmakersnetposted 10 years ago

maybe yes but really its only upt o your heart to decide that

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)