jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

12/21/2012

1. caravalhophoto profile image57
    caravalhophotoposted 7 years ago

The subject came up during a conversation last evening.  Should we plan a grand family Christmas and be together the week of Christmas.  If the World does end, we will be together and if it doesn't end...we will be together.

Anyone else thought about planning a family and friend vacation for the Holidays of 2012?

Thoughts?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 7 years agoin reply to this

nope. just another day...

2. mistywild profile image59
      mistywildposted 7 years agoin reply to this

my husband is actually talking about 2012 right now lol lol coincidence??

1. Stimp profile image75
        Stimpposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is freakishly coincidental...I'll tell you what.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 7 years ago

I think it's interesting how many people have decided to interpret the Mayan calendar as somehow being the end of the world.  The Mayans certainly didn't... their calendar is cyclical, meanings that a cycle ends and a new one starts.

It's only people who support eschatological beliefs that have put this perspective onto the situation, as their religions are the ones with the concepts of "end times."

1. mistywild profile image59

well said.

3. Gabriella D'Anton profile image61
    Gabriella D'Antonposted 7 years ago

Relache is absolutely right. The scare of the year 2000 did not happen, so a new scare is going on.

Different countries and cultures have different calendars and 2112 only refers to our calendar (like the Mayans really had us in mind while neglecting 2/3 of the world?)

Let’s better live everyday like it will be the last. Love, Tolerance, Hope and Joy is better than fear and Apocalyptic thoughts

1. profile image68
      logic,commonsenseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely!
      We can not control when the world will end, we need to live for the future with the idea that there will be one rather than live in the fear of what might or might not be.

1. Stimp profile image75
        Stimpposted 7 years agoin reply to this

K...Stimp's gonna be serious here for one moment.  I believe instead of looking at when the world will end, I am going to look at each person in my life and go "how many Christmas' do we have left together...10? 20? ONE?"  I find, for myself, that thinking in those terms allows me to appreciate and enjoy my family and friends now and not wait several more years.  As my parents age, this becomes more and more important to me.  Just a different way to look at it.

AND as a reminder....all hell was supposed to break loose on 01/01/00.  I am a programmer, I was there to witness the mayhem big_smile

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 7 years ago

I beg to differ.  According to the movie, very few of us will survive.  I'm savin' my money to buy a seat on the ark.

5. SimeyC profile image90
    SimeyCposted 7 years ago

I did a hub on this very subject! A few comments:
    1) I'm not buying Christmas Presents until December 22,2012.
    2) If you beleive that the world will end, then please send me all your money on December 21, 2012.
    3) Do you notice how many people are making money out of the whole 2012 thing? A movie, hundreds of documentaries, people writing web sites (*grin*), I hear Al Gore will do a documentary linking Global Warming to it!
    4) Like most I believe nothing will happen - if it does, ah well I was wrong and I'm dead!

lol lol lol

6. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 7 years ago

I agree with Relache. But hey, if it does end, won't it be cool to be able to see it?

7. mistywild profile image59
    mistywildposted 7 years ago

I do not like to think of the world ending, I choose not to, so many things left to do, I don't even have kids yet. But I would say you should be with your loved ones on the holidays regardless the year, month, or date.

8. marinealways24 profile image61
    marinealways24posted 7 years ago

lol

How could the end predicted when we don't know the beginning?

1. SimeyC profile image90
      SimeyCposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Now you've done it...it's Friday night...I don't have a drink and you've got me thinking about the paradox of time...where does it start and end.....*grin*

lol lol

working