What do you do when one christian Hub conflicts with another christian Hub on th

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (50 posts)
  1. profile image53
    graceinusposted 11 years ago

What do you do when one christian Hub conflicts with another christian Hub on the same subject?

For example, One HUb says we should tithe another says we shouldn't. One Hub says we should follow the Sabbath, an another says we don't have too. Why the confussion. Is there too many conflicting doctrine?

2. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 11 years ago

Doctrine can often get in the way of what the Bible says. Ultimately, you have to seek the Bible for yourself and follow what the word says, not what a doctrine says because not all doctrines are totally based in the word.

1. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I only place one addition to this - Love. All that is done in love is perfect, be it doctrine or understanding or reading or preaching or just everyday business and affairs. It is only through love that doctrine can even be right.

2. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I disagree to a point. Love is often times misguided so it is not always perfect. Case in point, Killing someone because you love God cannot be perfect because you are breaking a commandment out of Love for the creator of that commandment.

3. profile image53
      graceinusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I very much agree. Thanks Deepes Mind

4. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

and unfortunaely love sometimes is doing what is not wanted    True love is doing or saying what is true and needed not what is desired.  check Pauls instruction to Timothy.

3. manatita44 profile image71
    manatita44posted 11 years ago

Life must be so, my brother.
    In a theological seminary, you will be surprised how different they can all be. Christianity itself has over 500 Paths and many are extreme and different. Is there a problem? No. In an orchestra the flute will be the flute and the violin the violin. But they make great music. The fragrance of the rose complements the daffodils. We are all different and at different stages in this spiritual sojourn. Even daughters and sons can have radically different views from their parents.
    One man is a doctor, another a priest. Variety is essential for God's creation. Sameness just does not work. You must have seen by now, that in this Christian section, there are over a 100 different views. You will serve some and annoy others. Know this, remain detached, and be free.
    P.s. One final thing. On the subject of the Sabbath, all we ever have is the Eternal Now, the present moment. I could pop off anytime. So why not do my Sabbath now? Saturday may never come! We stand before God for every second of our lives. Hope this helps.

Manatita44, This is Word that you speak. This comment is not a comment, it is a truth! (I think the end of paragraph 3 is not about detachment but focus)
      I will read this to many in my sermon tomorrow. Truly this is wine for the thirsty. Thank you.

2. profile image53

In the Body of Christ, I would think there would be far more unity than what is seen in todays churches as oppose to the differences. Opposit doctrines do not seem to unite anything.

3. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Eric. True.
      Detachment will lead to focus.A sweet word for this is one-pointedness or devotion - the complete submission of the individual will, to the Supreme Will. Thanks for the contribution.

the churches of man have 500 paths----  the True church of God has one

4. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 11 years ago

I don't do anything but but be pleased at knowing that it is all made up.

Made up sounds so cynical but on reflection it is a true compliment,,,, Meaning not of man of of Man's heart.  Thank you for the insight.

5. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 11 years ago

I do what we are, as beleivers, called to do...I compare them each to the actual Scripture. It doesn't matter if they conflict with each other. What matters is whether they agree with Scriprture. Apart from that, nothing else matter in that case.

1. celafoe profile image55

wow another truth seeker, thanks brother

6. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Humans interpret what they see and read. It goes through the filter of experience, biases, experience, beliefs and such.

Personally, I think that the Bible has a great deal of truth, but that no one has that truth in their heart. Some are striving for it, but most are holding onto their own interpretation as if it is Truth. No one can learn if their cup is already full of their own ideas.

7. calynbana profile image76
    calynbanaposted 11 years ago

There are two things we MUST do as Christians. The two greatest commandments. Love God, and love other people. Beyond that it is up for debate, we should be following God, doing what he directs us to do. For some that may look like tithing, for others it may look like mission trips, it depends on what God wants for us. I have went through periods of tithing, and then periods where I simply do not have any money left after bills are paid and I cannot tithe. Does this make me any less Christian? No. What makes us Christian is being Christ-like. Following Christ wherever he leads.

When it comes to tithing we can ask ourselves how it fits into the two commandments of love God and love other people. Our money is from God, we need to be good stewards of this money. If we attend a church, the leaders of this church are living off of what we choose to donate, as well as covering the church costs with these donations. If we have money to give, and we have a church we attend we can ask God if we should be giving what we can. Personally I think that tithing is very important, mostly because I do know of several people who rely solely on these donations to support their families as they do God's work.

When it comes to the Sabbath I do not know. I know that the Sabbath is technically Saturday and that is about it haha. Pray about it. Read what scripture says about it. God will show you the right path.

1. profile image53

calynbana- I have my opinion on tithing, My concern here is, if we as christians, are the body of christ shouldn't there be a unity in doctrine. And yet that is not what we find as christians as a whole.  Christian Hub confict with each other. Why?

2. celafoe profile image55

grace -  i find that too many want to believe what they are taught or what feels good to them instead of finding the actual scriptural answer.  but my bible says  " test all things to see if they be of God"

8. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Do nothing. Apparently there is some definite confusion going on. Let them figure it out for themselves.

1. profile image53

JThom42- I think to Do Nothing might not be so great of an idea. If one should pick up the bible and start reading and studying for themselves, then that would solve many problems. It would seem that other doctrines would then no longer be a problem.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

My friend, people are going to believe what they choose to believe regardless of what we say, or what we believe. And some, their beliefs change with the weather.

3. profile image53

That is so true. I am every greatful for your answer JThom42. Many blessings

4. profile image0

God bless you Grace!!

5. Mitch Alan profile image80
      Mitch Alanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Iron sharpens iron...we are called to expose false teachings and teach sound doctrine. If you see that someone misinformed, then why wouldn't you show them the TRUTH as found in Scripture?

6. profile image53

Mitch Alan- I do agree with you. I should mention that many times I have confronted those teaching false doctrine. And they continue to hold to their false teachings regardless. One stands a better chance of leading a tree to water.

7. profile image0

I agree Grace.

8. profile image53

Mitch Alan- One more point I wish to make. The key to UNDERSTANDING the bible is to understand the context in which God meant it, not the way one interpretates it with a carnal mind. And I believe that's what happens 95% of the time.

9. Mitch Alan profile image80

Graceinus, We can not determine the outcome, as that is His domain, but we are called to share the Gospel and sound doctrine...we are not called to do it if we think "we" have a good chance of "convincing". smile
      Yes, context & His Spirit are essent

10. profile image53

Mitch Alan- Point taken. Thanks.

11. celafoe profile image55

sorry but scripture requires us to expose error

12. profile image0

celafoe... You contradict yourself. In one of your last comments you said we are not to spread the word unless asked. Now you say differently?

13. celafoe profile image55

exposing error is not spreading the word.  you can stop  your playing your silly games anytime now.    that is not what i said--- context  context context

14. profile image0

celafoe 16 hours ago

what it actually says acts 1 is "you shall be witnesses to me. ie examples . Witnesses only speak when asked a question. If we live it they will ask and thne they will listen

15. celafoe profile image55

jthomp--- when are you going to stop playing your silly games?  that is exactly what I said, it pertains to those OUTSIDE-- judging what is written is a totally different subject.

16. profile image0

celafoe... I am not playing games. You are constantly contradicting yourself. Should we in your opinion witness or not as you have said before. My opinion is to witness with every opportunity we are given.

17. celafoe profile image55

if you dont understand there are different  subjects involved then there is no way for you to see.  your mind is made up by your opinion not truth.  I can show a liberal truth but I cannot make him see it, he has to have eyes to see

18. profile image0

No labels needed here. I am first and foremost a child of the almighty God. I am in no way a liberal. In fact, I am quite the opposite.

19. celafoe profile image55

Prov 9:8  Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you;
      Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.
      9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
      Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
      NKJV

9. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

that is simple search the scriptures in context and see which is correct/
    start with checking the scriptures being used and if they are  taken out of context or incomplete  you know it is wrong. otherwise do an in depth study.    You should do this with every Christian article you read  any way.   there are lots of them on here that are off the wall and use scripture out of context or no scripture, just opinions.   the bible tells us to test ALL things to see if the be of God/

1. profile image0

"Witness": What if you are not asked to do so?

2. profile image53

celafoe- I like to study and research every day. Which is why I come up with a lot of these questions in HubPages. Many thanks.

3. celafoe profile image55

scripture, if you understand it REQUIRES us to do so.   why are so childish just because you dont agree with me?

4. Mitch Alan profile image80

We are called, by God, to witness both through our lives and the saring of His word. Witnessing is not optional. It doesn't mean you have to go door to door, but if the opporunity presents itself we are to share the Gospel.

5. celafoe profile image55

mitch--- you witness by your actions, you share with your words, and you are correct, when the proper opportunity presents.   so we are not throwing pearls to swine

10. profile image0
    ViolinByCourtneyposted 10 years ago

The two examples you cited are actually gray areas in Christianity that are not mandatory. Both are Old Testament law, from which we have been set free. However, many choose to follow at least some aspects of the law anyway as an act of worship because it pleases God, to demonstrate that Christians are set apart, and as a preventative measure so that we do not lead others into temptation or fall into it ourselves. Christians disagree about these gray areas because they are gray. Some give higher priority to "freedom in Christ" (Galations 5), while others are more concerned about not leading others to sin (1 Corinthians 8). As long as you are motivated by one of these things or a combination and are therefore doing as God has individually convicted you, it does not matter what decision you personally make because it does not affect your salvation. However, if you follow the law because you are judgmental and legalistic or do not follow the law because you resent all authority including God's, your heart and soul are not in the right place. It is therefore not right for any Christian to tell any other Christian what they absolutely must do regarding these gray areas (although you can give gentle advice), for no human can know the heart and convictions of another fully enough to make that decision for them.

It is important to realize that not everything is scripture is gray just because we have been set free from the law. Fornication, idolatry, adultery, homosexual activity (just the activity, not the attraction), theft, coveting, alcoholism, slander/gossip, and swindling are absolutely not acceptable (1 Corinthians 6) because unlike other violations of the law, these represent conscious lifestyle choices contrary to the law and therefore serve as a sort of spit in God's face. It's like saying, "Oh, thanks for the gift, God. Now I'm going to ignore you and do as I please. Bye!" It angers him more than if we had never accepted his gift in the first place.

1. profile image53
      graceinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If one would take the time to understand the context in which the bible was/is meant by God, then one would realize there is no gray area.And if God said it , then I would think that settles it. Thank you for your answer.

2. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is No gray area, if God says it , thats it.   My bible makes it clear, if you keep one part of the dead law you obligate yourself to keep it all-- and be judged under it rather than grace because you are saying Jesus died in vain

3. profile image53
      graceinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

celafoe- Let me clarify what I'm trying to say.. At that time of the Old Covenant God's laws applied. As christians we now have a New covenant which now applies. Therefore there's no gray area.

celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

grace,  I was talking to Violin, sorry I should have specified.   I agree with you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)