jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What did Jesus mean by "the kingdom of heaven is smaller than the mustard seed?

1. andrew savage profile image60
    andrew savageposted 4 years ago

What did Jesus mean by "the kingdom of heaven is smaller than the mustard seed?

2. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 4 years ago

Heaven is small because, according to the bible, most people will end up in hell.  At least, that is what I read.

andrew savageposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Where does the bible mention hell (as a place)?

2. glynch1 profile image52
      glynch1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

If "heaven" to you is the New Jerusalem, you are in error. Its dimensions--I have no reason to take them figuratively--are gigantic. While you are correct that few will go there, you need to revise your interpretation of the parable.

3. glynch1 profile image52
    glynch1posted 4 years ago

I do not know what "translation" you are using, but the text does not say that the kingdom of heaven is smaller than the mustard seed. The kingdom is like a mustard seed in that it begins small and grows large. Please read the rest of the verse (Luke 13:19).

The translations change every year. Perhaps I am reading from an older book.

2. glynch1 profile image52
      glynch1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

A new translation comes out every so often, and a legitimate one would not make such an error. The "older book" you are reading reads like the author was careless in his use of the language. By omitting "like," he made a considerable error.

4. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 4 years ago

Well from what I read in the bible, it simply means that the kingdom of heaven starts off small and once planted becomes bigger that birds can rest on the branches of the trees.

So what Jesus is trying to say that it starts with very little people, however the amount of people that will turn to Jesus will grow.

5. profile image68
    graceinusposted 4 years ago

Matt. 13:31 (NKJV) Another parable He put to them; "The Kingdom of Heaven is LIKE a mustered seed which a man took and sowed in his field".

The way you asked the question shows to me you've taken the verse out of context. Try again.

No. That sounds about right. I am still on the same page, but thank you for the ~answer.

working