jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)

Does religion allow freedom of speech and thought?

1. WalterPoon profile image82
    WalterPoonposted 4 years ago

Does religion allow freedom of speech and thought?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

That would be the first amendment of the United States.

WalterPoonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

JThomp42, but the First Amendment is not a religion, right?

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

No, but it gives us freedom of speech and religion Sir.

3. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 4 years ago

It certainly does, especially when it comes to passing judgments on others.  And it really does not matter if it is obtrusive or not.  Religions who condone disruptive behaviors at funerals, and in other public places, are the norm these days.
    There is, of course, always an exception to those 'religious' freedoms.  The main exception is that religions do not allow their members to speak ill of the religion itself.  This practice is punishable by eternal damnation with pain and suffering to be carried out in their respective hells that they own.

D. William, I don't know anything about the funeral thing, but your last two sentences said it very well. As a matter of fact, hell begins the very moment you start speaking ill of the religion, LOL.

2. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 4 years agoin reply to this

http://youtu.be/RRAYFYjam-E  This video will explain the funeral thing.  It is truly disgusting.  This is what we are defending when we defend "free speech".

3. WalterPoon profile image82

D. William, what a bummer! I got this message: "The uploader has not made this video available in your country. Sorry about that." Tried using 2 web proxies, but neither worked!

4. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sorry youtube is not available in Malaysia.  you might try  http://youtubedownloader.com to see if you can download their free software.  I don't know why it would not connect in Malaysia. Let me know if this helped

4. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 4 years ago

No! Independent thought and the speech that goes with it is not welcome if it does not agree with the teaching of the religion or the way it is depicted by the leaders of that particular religion or version of it.

Justsilvie, you are right. Not so long ago, if you say the Earth revolves around the Sun, they will burn you on the stake. I don't know when they finally came to their senses, LOL.

5. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

WHAT RELIGION ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Your question is phrased as if all "religion" abides by the same teachings and practices.

CalebSparks, I'm referring to ALL religions.... each and every one of them. Just pick anyone and say it's not, and we can then argue it out.

6. Mel Carriere profile image95
    Mel Carriereposted 4 years ago

I guess there is no such thing as freedom of speech and thought because I saw that they would not publish your hub on The God Delusion.  I profess to be a Christian myself, but I would never promote censorship of any kind and I am certainly displeased that they would not publish your hub, which I was looking forward to reading.

LOL, they say that my hub is very close to Wikipedia but I guess both Wikipedia and my hub quoted extensively from the book, "The God Delusion" to support our arguments. Anyway, I have deleted the article and transferred it to my own website.

2. Mel Carriere profile image95
      Mel Carriereposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed that they will not let you take very many risks on this platform.  Just stick to tips on how to cook a chicken pizza and you're okay.

working