jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Does prayer require hand-clasping and head-bowing, or could you pray while drivi

1. wjlambert profile image75
    wjlambertposted 4 years ago

Does prayer require hand-clasping and head-bowing, or could you pray while driving?

I guess what I mean is does God care if you make these gestures, or are they done generally for the sake of others nearby to show one's own piety.  Are there any phrases in the Bible that mandate these actions or are they simply recommendations?

2. Porshadoxus profile image79
    Porshadoxusposted 4 years ago

I don't believe any particular posture is mandated. Many of the postures that are taught, at least to kids, are to help the prayer avoid distractions while praying. Bowing the head could indicate humility, but God does take into account the motives of our actions; I could bow my head to pray and have no humility whatsoever.

And yes, you can pray while driving. But I recommend what Jesus told His disciples in the Garden of Gethsemane- Watch and pray!

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

No. You can pray anytime, anywhere. You can pray without opening your mouth or closing your eyes. There is no ritual when it comes to prayer.

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

I think they are just recommendations. You can pray with your eyes open, but that sometimes has distractions. Your hands don't have to be together, that's just a common ritual.

5. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 4 years ago

No, The only things required with prayer is an open heart to receive, a willing ear to listen, and a desire to heed instruction.

6. celafoe profile image59
    celafoeposted 4 years ago

that is a church of man thing which if anything is backwards.   It is used to keep people from being seen when converting, which is contrary to scripture.    And probably helps lead to insecure , false , conversions as it takes away  the accountability. It is a false piety.    There are no prescribed methods of prayer, because prayer is simply conversation with our Lord and Saviour , who is also our Friend, lover, older brother and more.

7. Ben716 profile image88
    Ben716posted 4 years ago

I dont think kneeling, closing the eyes or holding the hands in form of prayer is bad. Its a way a person expresses himself to God as long as it is not a show off or for the benefit of pride or people to admire or piety him. Many times I close my eyes to avoid distraction. Like when I am in church I close my eyes to avoid distractions when people are moving. It helps me to concentrate. Kneeling is a form of humility, when you humble yourself before God. Jesus knelt before cruxification. The same with Daniel. Clapping of hands is not bad either but for me at times I consider it as a destruction.
    Prayer is not always said loudly, at times you can whisper or pray in your heart for example when you witness an accident and people have died. You can tell God to comfort the loved ones of the people who died without uttering a word. God hears and knows whats in our hearts.

8. D L Roderick profile image69
    D L Roderickposted 2 years ago

Yes, you can pray with your eyes open while you are driving.  My favorite way to pray is while I'm walking.