jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Does Jesus death on the cross to take away all sins include the sins of those wh

1. profile image67
    graceinusposted 4 years ago

Does Jesus death on the cross to take away all sins include the sins of those who died before Jesus?

This is a question I have wondered about for sometime now. There seems to be verses in the bible that would give  Yes or No answers to this question. However, could my understanding of the verses be taken out of context. I am looking for the right answer to this question.

2. pelsicco profile image61
    pelsiccoposted 4 years ago

yes that's what Christians believe,since they don't differentiate between God and Jesus.

1. profile image67
      graceinusposted 4 years agoin reply to this

pelsicco- thanks for your answer.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

It is all about the blood my friend. Those (Jewish people) who lived by the old law were to sacrifice animals for blood atonement. If they were faithful in doing so they were saved to eternity.

Jesus died once and for all (Jews and gentiles) if we choose to accept his blood sacrifice on the cross we are saved to eternity in Heaven.

1. profile image67

JTomps42- Just one question. What about the gentiles who died before Jesus? Thank you.

2. celafoe profile image62
      celafoeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

jt - that is not consistent with the scriptures.  Gal 3:11-12
      11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "the just shall live by faith."

4. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 4 years ago

The short answer is every from the beginning has been saved the same way. Through God's grace.

1. profile image67

christiananrkist- Faith has a very important role in God's grace. There are many in this world, long past and present, that had/have no knowledge of His grace. One can not have faith in a gift (grace) that one does not know he has. Not all are saved.

5. jstfishinman profile image62
    jstfishinmanposted 4 years ago

In the Old Testament, Jehovah, set up a day of atonement. A perfect lamb was sacrificed and its blood put on a goat that was allowed to run free, thus the term scapegoat.
    The sacrifice of this perfect lamb, pushed the Israelites sins forward one year.
    This yearly sacrifice made it possible for Jesus, to take all sin, past, present, and future onto Himself.
    Jehovah, The Father, while Jesus, The Son, had all this sin on Him, turned away from Jesus. God, The Father, hates sin.
    God abandoning Jesus on the cross is what Jesus dreaded the most, but He was willing to do it, for your sake and mine.
    Jesus provided us with a pathway to God, through Jesus Christ. There is no other way to The Father, but through Jesus Christ. We just have to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior. The gift has all ready been given, we just have to accept it.

1. profile image67

jstfishinman- I understand what you are saying. However it does not explain the sins of the gentiles who lived and died before Jesus death on the cross. What of THEIR "atonement",  if any.

2. jstfishinman profile image62
      jstfishinmanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There were many gentiles, that followed God's laws. Rahab and Ruth come to mind, although there were many. The Samaritans were a mixed people of Jewish and Gentile blood. Jesus blood was shed for all, Jew and Gentile.

working