Why do people think that the Bible was written by God?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (44 posts)
  1. ParadigmEnacted profile image77
    ParadigmEnactedposted 10 years ago

Why do people think that the Bible was written by God?

Does faith require that you deceive yourself into thinking that the gospel writers are beyond reproach?

2. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 10 years ago

I never have heard anyone say the Bible was written by God. The principle I have heard is that it was inspired by Him, but written by men.

The comments on your question are not worth answering. The wording is so blatantly prejudiced, exploded by that word "deceive" you use, it is a transparent troll.

ParadigmEnactedposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When you say you've never heard anyone say it, you are either lying or live a very insular existence. I asked the question because I have been around people that have this perception. They actually believe that it is literally the word of God.

Attikosposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Up yours, too.

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
      BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Attikos, consider the source. Look at his hubs. He thinks pro wrestling is real.

4. Borsia profile image41
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've always heard it referred t as "the words of God" and that God guided the hands of men who wrote them dutifully.

5. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed Attikos!!

3. CrescentSkies profile image63
    CrescentSkiesposted 10 years ago

I've sadly had people tell me the bible was written by god...to which I replied "So god is the factory down the road?"
    Smart aleck statement, I know. Their fault for wording it the way they did, I think you can guess how they worded their statement.

See Attikos. Now it has been proven that you don't speak for the world. Nevermind the factory that prints copies of it, it's well established that the Bible is written by multiple human authors. Not even just one unquestioned source.

I have never claimed to speak for the world. I merely attempt to offer some small correction for jackasses now and then.

3. ParadigmEnacted profile image77

You tried to invalidate my actual worldly experience and it was never going to work for you. I'm not sure what people such as yourself get out of challenging discussions like this when you are more suited singing "la la la" with hands over ears.

4. Attikos profile image82

Some of them don't take it. They just keep on braying. That's all right. Some are born to the role. They can't help what they are.

5. Borsia profile image41

So it was written by multiple humans of questionable intent over hundreds of years but not signed by any of them? Interesting.
      I've read it and it doesn't flow or make sense and it is filled with contradictions. But it speaks highly criminal acts.

4. peachpurple profile image80
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

I believe that humans were the one who wrote the bible as they believed that they had seen the God and are the messengers, God is someone we believed but nobody had seen Him

So you can write scriptures and claim the same thing. That God is guiding you, but it wouldn't be so.

5. taburkett profile image57
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

I believe that you misconstrue the statement "God's Word" that is used by many Christians when speaking of the Bible.  This is normal for one that does not rightfully research its usage within a moral society.
    "God's Word" refers to the works included in a book called the Bible as written by men through the course of teaching and faith on Earth. 

Hebrews 10:16
    This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them.

And, so it came to pass that man began to write those commandments and laws into a book called the Bible.

So everybody who thinks they are reserving their faith for God are actually putting faith in men who have no credibility whatsoever. Nobody has actually spoken to God.

2. Borsia profile image41

In other words written by men who seek to control other men for wealth, power and privilege,,, now I get the god connection.

3. profile image51
      wheatbaybayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How do you explain how we came to be here and how the universe and all that's in it came to be. Of course, most people will try and explain it away using science as an answer. I personally believe it took an higher intelligence to create life.

4. profile image0
      CroftRoanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What if there is a higher power? No one knows who or what that is? The Mayans, Muslims, Christians, Native Americans, Asian, Pagans, Greeks, Romans, Egyptian, etc could all be right. And as much as I love books and stories, I won't believe just one.

6. Borsia profile image41
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

As to why anyone would think that god actually wrote it, or guided the hands of men who wrote it mystifies me.
    It was written by men who wanted to control other men to their advantages.
    This is true of every holy book and every religion, its all about control, wealth and power.
    Then, of course, you have them saying that the Bible, Koran, whatever doesn't say directly what is really meant but rather it must be interpreted, by them naturally, to be truly understood.
    Remarkably their interpretation frequently doesn't really follow what is written on the pages. Instead it favors their will and their ends and insures their wealth and power.
    I remember reading an article about the history of the Bible. According to the article one of the monks who was translating it wrote in a margin; "I dare not write that which lies before me as it would surely displease my king.". In other words if he accurately translated he would be put to death for contradicting the desires of the King to control as he saw fit.
    If one simply reads the Bible as a book, like any other, not only does it constantly contradict itself it makes little if any sense.
    It is claimed to be the most published book of all time, depends on who you want to believe, but if it were published today simply as a book it is very unlikely it would ever find a publisher or that anyone would read beyond the first few chapters, if they got that far.

You're the winner here. The Bible undertaking would have been like having several marginally intelligent people each describe the scene of an accident and then attribute their disjointed conclusions to God.

2. Borsia profile image41

Thanks PE ;-)

7. djdaniel150 profile image59
    djdaniel150posted 10 years ago

People think the bible was written by god because they choose to believe so. Too bad it was written by man and is a complete joke if you ask me. To each their own I guess. I'd rather live my life based on facts than beliefs that amount to nothing.

...and the Bible clearly cautions against putting faith in man and condemns parts of it as idol worship.

2. profile image51

What are the facts that your basing your life on?

8. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

The bible itself was not written by God, but written by men who were inspired by divine intervention. This meaning the men who wrote the bible were instructed what to write by God.

There is no way that these men would have the foresight that God had them write. The prophecies coming to fruition, the way the bible flows is completely out of man's ability to write such a masterpiece.

Yes, the bible is God's words written by man.

The way the Bible flows? There is no other piece of literature ever in the history of Earth with more contradictions and lacking in continuity quite like the Bible which is what happens anytime more than one person with different agendas contributes.

2. profile image0

You are wrong only because you want to be right.

How do you know?

4. profile image0

That is a dead on statement and you know it.

5. ParadigmEnacted profile image77

You're strange.

9. hubmuffins profile image59
    hubmuffinsposted 10 years ago

Bible wasn't written by God, It was written by the disciples of Jesus Christ

1. profile image0

Plus many, many others my friend.

2. ParadigmEnacted profile image77

Old Testament?

3. Borsia profile image41

The first writings about what Jesus supposedly said came 40 years after his death. Which disciple who actually knew Jesus was around to write that.
      Write down something someone else said then come back 40 years later, we'll see how well you remember.

10. profile image51
    wheatbaybayposted 10 years ago

Technically, no the Bible wasn't written by God himself. Scribes wrote the words down. But the Bible, in my opinion, is the inspired word of God. The Bible is a great piece of literature whether you believe in it or not.

Hardly good literature since no conventions are followed. It would offer historical insight at best, but people are told not to interpret it and it has simply become something that has a hold on inflexible people who live inside their own vacuum.

2. profile image51

Your right about one thing the Bible can give us some historical insight into some of the events that are recorded in the Bible. But as far as it not being a great piece of literature I have to disagree. We interpret the Bible all the time.

3. Attikos profile image82

It's one of the world's great works of literature, whether or not one takes it as religious truth. Those who deny that much are working a hidden agenda.

11. PlanksandNails profile image82
    PlanksandNailsposted 10 years ago

I think you asked this cliche' question to let off your frustrations about those who have faith in Bible. Don't waste your time, the Bible is not meant for those who have no desire for God to help them understand it.

Faith is hearing the Word of God and believing. If you don't believe, it is pointless pursuing the question? You are just putting the cart before the horse.

("Does faith require that you deceive yourself into thinking that the gospel writers are beyond reproach?")

Of course not, those who believe in the Bible will understand what faith is as it is defined clearly in Scripture? Faith has nothing to do with deceiving ourselves.

It seems that this question is simply someone finding a place to let off an emotional rant.

Well, at least the "best answer" will give you some comfort like warm milk before bedtime.

I asked a question is all. Do I have ulterior motives? Yes. Do I have my own ideas that I wear on my sleeve? Yes. Did I know that there would be people like you who can't deal with facts and resort to personal attacks? Yes. So? Doesn't change facts.

2. PlanksandNails profile image82
      PlanksandNailsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your "facts" are pressumptions. There is nothing new here that hasn't been heard before. By all means, you are free to toot your horn. I'm just saying this song has been played many times before. The "can't deal with the facts"...yada yada...yawn.

My obligation isn't to be original or refreshing. I'm sure people like you hear these questions and criticisms a lot, but it's because you never give any solid answers. Your post was all presumption. Trying to get off with aged pop psychology.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)