jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Do philosophers generally support the idea of Atheism ?

1. jabelufiroz profile image70
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

Do philosophers generally support the idea of Atheism ?

2. JMcFarland profile image87
    JMcFarlandposted 4 years ago

It depends on the philosopher.   A lot of philosophers are also Christian apologists (where we get the arguments like TAG, Kalam, etc) while a lot of philosophers who are atheists embrace an atheistic approach to philosophy and logic.  It depends in large part on the person themselves, and their own core philosophies on life, the universe and whether or not a god exists at all.  I've seen multiple debates from two philosophers who are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

3. SuperBrainwave profile image97
    SuperBrainwaveposted 4 years ago

My college degree was in philosophy.  On a worldwide scale, the majority of modern philosophers do not believe in God (over 70% in a recent survey) and less than 15% follow a theistic belief system.

Even in a place like the USA, which is very religious by the standards of the developed world, the majority of philosophers support ideas and world views associated with non-belief.

1. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 4 years agoin reply to this

that answers a question i indirectly asked. very good.

4. Jay Max Juster profile image76
    Jay Max Justerposted 4 years ago

"God is dead." ~Nietzsche

“No diety will save us; we must save ourselves.” ~Paul Kurtz

On the other hand,

“Unless you assume a God, the question of life’s purpose is meaningless.” ~Bertrand Russell

“The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wondrous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance seems to me the chief argument for the existence of God.” ~Charles Darwin

5. profile image0
    Klevi M Fushaposted 4 years ago

Most of the ones I've read do not. However, speaking strictly from a mathematical probability perspective, the existence of a God is indeed very plausible. While most philosophers do not believe in one sole creator, many do acknowledge the fact that they might be wrong.

6. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.”  Robert M. Pirsig
    “Atheism is merely the bed-rock of sanity in a world of madness.” Emmett F. Fields
    From my experience most are but here is a link to some of the most famous quotes from many of the greats;

7. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 4 years ago

atheistic philosophers do, theistic philosophers dont. I dont mean to state the obvious. I guess we would have to some kind of poll and see just what percentage of philosophers are atheists.