jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (17 posts)

Do you think that philosophy is as important as, let's say, economics?

1. EinsFloW profile image64
    EinsFloWposted 7 years ago

Do you think that philosophy is as important as, let's say, economics?

2. Stan Fletcher profile image72
    Stan Fletcherposted 7 years ago

absolutely...as they both greatly affect the world in positive and negative ways....

3. QudsiaP1 profile image60
    QudsiaP1posted 7 years ago

Yes, I do, actually because fact remains that without all the philosophers, who would propose all those theories which would later be practiced upon?

Think about it.

4. John B Badd profile image59
    John B Baddposted 7 years ago

I think philosophy is more important than economics.  I do not think most people need to understand economics to make it through life, but I think everyone should have a grasp on philosophy if for no other reason than to know where to look when faced witht he hard questions and hard choices.

5. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

I would say it is, but you won't make a living as a philosopher unless you land a job at a university.

6. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 7 years ago

That depends upon desire........

If you wish to count and tally.......economics are the most important.

If you wish to grow, philosophy is the greater goal.

If you wish to truly understand...........you must first live, embracing life as it comes.

7. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Aren't economic systems, philosophies?

1. Eugene Hardy profile image60
      Eugene Hardyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Actually, they are....

8. GNelson profile image77
    GNelsonposted 7 years ago

It is my philosophy that has gotten me through the tough times.

9. HAYESREB profile image59
    HAYESREBposted 7 years ago

Let's not forget that Economics is Philosophy.  Philosphy is the love of wisdom and therefore the way in which we ponder and find answers to questions.  Economics is not an exact science and we learn from Economic history how things will turn out, but it is still a guessing game. That being said, Economics can stand on it's own as a type of Philosophy.
    If you ask in terms of College courses...that is a totally different story.  I was a Humanities major....so I rather loved the philosophy classes.  I was required to take Macro and Micro Economics.  I hated those classes!  However, years later I have found those classes very useful in making sense of situations we face today as individuals, families, businesses, and even countries.  I have a philosophy on economics because I took Economics in college and have learned to search for wisdom.

10. Iontach profile image85
    Iontachposted 7 years ago

It depends which path you want to take.
    If you want more chance of getting a job then economics is more important.
    If you want to grow as a person, then maybe philosophy would be more important.

11. Jaymeyaroch profile image59
    Jaymeyarochposted 7 years ago

I believe that everything is important, academically.

As for philosophy, it is in everything, and as every day as economics.  The two are so vastly different in content that it would be impossible to compare them without including personal enjoyment of the subjects.

Why do you ask this question?  It seems you are defending philosophy as a valid field of study.

12. Stuart Barnes profile image52
    Stuart Barnesposted 7 years ago

It depends on what you think is important in our lives. If it is only our physical life, that we just work and consume a lot of stuff and then evaporate in to non0existance then it doesn't do much good.
    But, if you believe we are part of something bigger then it is the only thing that really matters.
    It is a matter of perspective.

13. profile image0
    Kstroud33posted 7 years ago

Yes I do because I believe they are related in some way.

14. mtalbot2987 profile image75
    mtalbot2987posted 7 years ago

It's hard to compare the two so I think the question (like most in philosophy) remains unanswered. We could live without philosophy but we'd find it very difficult to function without economics. Philosophy is like most humanities, it's not essential to life but it is essential if we are to progress as a species.

15. sidshah profile image53
    sidshahposted 7 years ago

I am agree with Morson, being Economist I can surly say economics is more important as compare to philosophy because I know very well life requirements which I get through economics as economics helps you to get better understanding of livelihood (how one can earn from better source and how one can utilize one's resources). More over it also helps the people in understanding Economic situation and policies set by government.
    No doubt John is right at this point but I think survival and better understanding takes the first place in order to live a better life and Philosophy helps them in growing and one can grow better only in this condition when he/she is utilizing best his resources.

16. Eugene Hardy profile image60
    Eugene Hardyposted 5 years ago

I they are equally important, one influencing the other.