jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

I would like to ask if there is a difference of "Love" in the bible.

1. Darksage profile image77
    Darksageposted 4 years ago

I would like to ask if there is a difference of "Love" in the bible.

I seem to notice that there are differences of love when it comes to the old testament and to the new testament of the bible, or probably its just me.

2. mattmilamii profile image60
    mattmilamiiposted 4 years ago

Dear Darksage,
    Because you do not reference the areas or passages of which you refer, a complete answer of your question is a bit difficult. In general, there is defiantly a difference in the way love is viewed as well as expressed... throughout life as well as in the Bible. While the English language uses love as a blanket term, it's becomes more specialized in Greek. You've no doubt heard of the terms philos (brotherly), eros (sensual), and agape (unconditional). All refer to an act of love, but from very different points of view and context for sure.

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very well said Matt. I was going to give the definitions but I couldn't remember the words designated each.

2. Faith Reaper profile image87
      Faith Reaperposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, agape, philos, eros and one more storge, which is the most natural of loves, love of family.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

There are different kinds of love mentioned in the Bible as there are different kinds of love in life. There is the love God has for us, the love we have for him, love between two people, love for ones children, and so on. Yes, there are many types of love mentioned.

4. celafoe profile image57
    celafoeposted 4 years ago

there are actually over 20 different kinds and variations of love throughout the bible and they are easily found and understood with a good concordance and strongs.
    unfortunately the only bible translation that I know of that differentiates them is the amplified and it is not widely used.

working