Do you know there are more than 20 Different kinds of Love in the bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. celafoe profile image60
    celafoeposted 2 years ago

Do you know there are more than 20 Different kinds of Love in the bible?

There are over 20 different kinds of love in the Greek but most translations(bibles) just translate them all as "love".    Each kind of love is SPECIFIC and is different.   Do you realize that some kinds of love are EVIL?     They cannot all be grouped as "love" because that leads to the false love cult that believes all we have to do is love ad accept everyone where they are., instead of exposing error.   So it is important to know what the Greek word being translated is.

2. pippap profile image85
    pippapposted 2 years ago

I find the fact that the Greek had a specific word for each kind of love to be totally enlightened.  As you point out, each kind of love is very specific and totally different from every other kind of love.  Having a specific word for each kind love leaves no doubt in the mind as to which form of love is being referred to.

Unfortunately, in our modern language we overuse and misuse the word love.  We do not differentiate between the types of love when we use the word.  We love our mothers; our fathers; our community; our pets; we even love beer; potato chips; vacations, etc.  Consequently, the word loses some of its meaning and emphasis.

So, I am one of those people who would like to know which Greek word is being translated when it comes to "love".

celafoeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

agreed

2. Michael-Milec profile image62
      Michael-Milecposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi pippap! You have expressed my dilemma about  American culture of "loving" everything including loving as a verb...( Greek ''eros"; the ancient Greek god of love).
      More of the God's love you might find in my comment.
      Blessings.

3. celafoe profile image60

NT:5388   philoteknos (fil-ot'-ek-nos); from NT:5384 and NT:5043; fond of one's children, i.e. maternal:
      KJV - love their children.

3. Michael-Milec profile image62
    Michael-Milecposted 2 years ago

Nope; but I would like to know as you would list them and their original Greek spelling. Thanks.
    In my humble seeking the closeness of the God's heavenly Father's LOVE, I came to the John three sixteen, where Greek ""agapao"" is used of God's love toward man and vice versa. " For God so loved= "" egapesen"" the world that He gave. . .
    But for man to show love to God, he must first appropriate God's  ""agape"" for only God has such unselfish love.
    AGAPE=love, a word not found in Classic Greek, but only in revealed worship -praise- adoration of higher ..." God is Spirit, and those who worship  Him must worship Him in spirit and truth..." Thus ( I Michael ) can't say "I love God" unless I demonstrate the Highest devotion - adoration by GIVING Him the portion of His LOVE appropriated from Him as a token of "sonship" - the same-family-kind of "love'' - 'to those who receive him he gave authority to become children of God, to those who believe in him- they were born-- of God.' (John 1:12.13).
    The 'final' product, "It is no longer I who live, it is Christ who lives in me..."(Gal.2.20).
    ( A proverbial) "new creation?". Who is in Christ is a NEW walking reflection of AGAPE; don't ask me please a personal questions ... Humbly admitting, it has  happen when the strangers asked " what religion are you..." when in my life-and work- and business they noticed, saying -you are different- responding, it's not "me"- (Michael died) what you see is  " Christ in me the hope of glory...

1. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing and offering perspective for pondering Michael . . .

2. Michael-Milec profile image62
      Michael-Milecposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You are very kind, Tim Mitchell giving such observing comment. We are only helping each other to embrace the Truth as clearly as  possible.

3. celafoe profile image60

also  NT:5382
        philoxenos (fil-ox'-en-os); from NT:5384 and NT:3581; fond of guests, i.e. hospitable:
      KJV - given to (lover of, use) hospitality.

4. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

really? I didn't know that.
    Are those love in this category:
    Parents love
    Grandparent love
    Siblings love
    Children love
    Living things love
    Non living things love
    Pet love
    Earth Love
    Neighbor Love

yes and more

5. celafoe profile image60
    celafoeposted 2 years ago

here are a few to consider
    Some of the words in Greek and the kind of love they represent follow.   The numbers are the Strong's reference number.   You will notice the kjv usage many times does not represent what the word means.

NT:25
      agapao (ag-ap-ah'-o); perhaps from agan (much) [or compare OT:5689]; to love (in a social or moral sense):
    KJV - (be-) love (-ed). Compare NT:5368.
    NT:26
      agape (ag-ah'-pay); from NT:25; love, i.e. affection or benevolence; specially (plural) a love-feast:
    KJV - (feast of) charity ([-ably]), dear, love.
    NT:27
      agapetos (ag-ap-ay-tos'); from NT:25; beloved:
    KJV - (dearly, well) beloved, dear.
    NT:5358
      philagathos (fil-ag'-ath-os); from NT:5384 and NT:18; fond to good, i.e. a promoter of virtue:
    KJV - love of good men.
    NT:535 9
    Philadelpheia (fil-ad-el'-fee-ah); from Philadelphos (the same as NT:5361), a king of Pergamos; Philadelphia, a place in Asia Minor:
    KJV - Philadelphia.
    NT:5360
    philadelphia (fil-ad-el-fee'-ah); from NT:5361; fraternal affection:
    KJV - brotherly love (kindness), love of the
    NT:5361
      philadelphos (fil-ad'-el-fos); from NT:5384 and NT:80; fond of brethren, i.e. fraternal:
    KJV - love as brethren.
    NT:5362
      philandros (fil'-an-dros); from NT:5384 and NT:435; fond of man, i.e. affectionate as a wife:
    KJV - love their husbands.
    NT:5363
      philanthropia (fil-an-thro-pee'-ah); from the same as NT:5364; fondness of mankind, i.e. benevolence ("philanthropy"):
    KJV - kindness, love towards man.
    NT:5365
      philarguria (fil-ar-goo-ree'-ah); from NT:5366; avarice:
    KJV - love of money.
    NT:5366
      philautos (fil'-ow-tos); from NT:5384 and NT:846; fond of self, i.e. selfish:
    KJV - lover of ownself.
    NT:5368
    phileo (fil-eh'-o); from NT:5384; to be a friend to (fond of [an individual or an object]), i.e. have affection for (denoting personal attachment, as a matter of sentiment or feeling; while NT:25 is wider, embracing especially the judgment and the deliberate assent of the will as a matter of principle, duty and propriety: the two thus stand related very much as NT:2309 and NT:1014, or as NT:2372 and NT:3563 respectively; the former being chiefly of the heart and the latter of the head); specifically, to kiss (as a mark of tenderness):
    KJV - kiss, love.
    NT:5369
      philedonos (fil-ay'-don-os); from NT:5384 and NT:2237; fond of pleasure, i.e. voluptuous:
    KJV - lover of pleasure.

NT:5383   philoproteuo (fil-op-rote-yoo'-o); from a compound of NT:5384 and NT:4413; to be fond of being first, i.e. ambitious of distinction:
      KJV - love to have the preeminence.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)