Are resolutions useful? Can they help us?

1. manatita44 profile image84
    manatita44posted 4 years ago

Are resolutions useful? Can they help us?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

When the word 'Resolutions' is bandied about at year's end and at the beginning of the New Year, it is generally thought of as "I will give up this..." or "I will take up that.."   But the word means RESOLVE.   If we take ourselves seriously enough and want something badly enough in life, then we make a commitment to ourselves.   We resolve to carry it out, or to do it, or to accomplish it.   

In order to do this we usually need to develop other qualities which will sustain us in our quest.  We need patience, perserverence, persistence, determination, all words which describe the character traits we might well need to develop in order to bring into existence what we've set not just our minds, but also our hearts on.

Of course resolutions are useful.   They are helpful, yes.  But there are those hastily concocted resolutions such as "I'll' give up drinking," when we know we enjoy a beer or wine and feel it's not really bad for us.   Or, I'll cut back on the coffee," when we love and look forward to the coffee break.   How often have you determined to do things like these and not lasted even a month?

Pick on something you've wanted to do all your life.  Determine to go after it.   Resolve to do it, be it, or bring it into your life.  This is the sort of attitude you must attain to with consistency from thereon.  The passion for the end result might wax and wane somewhat over time - but it must never be discarded.

1. manatita44 profile image84
      manatita44posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Too true, My Brother.
      Thanks for taking the time, too. A sensible and worthy answer, and one worth reading by us all, while making me feel good for asking this. Loving thoughts.

Closed to reply

working