jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

People tend to pity physically disabled people, but do they overlook mental illn

1. chinmayXdas profile image83
    chinmayXdasposted 4 years ago

People tend to pity physically disabled people, but do they overlook mental illness?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

They do, because they cannot see it and usually do not understand it. A person in a wheel chair has an obvious handicap. A bipolar person will look and act normal most of the time and when he doesn't most people assume he is on drugs.

I am speech impaired--not terribly--but impaired. People do not understand. Keep my mouth shut, no one notices. If I mispronounce a few words, everyone turns into an instant therapist.

Also, today many people blame all mental illness on drug abuse, when that is not the case.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Yes, compassion for mental illness can be lacking. As Larry Wall said, it can't be seen. I also think there is some false belief that the mentally ill can will their way out of their condition.

4. Sadiq Busuri profile image58
    Sadiq Busuriposted 4 years ago

I think that a physical disability is much more apparent than a mental illness which is why mental illness is sometimes overlooked in comparison. However I will say that many people I know dislike the feeling of being pitied and would much rather be treated as an equal. They sometimes feels like their disability is all that they are when in reality they are much more!

working