jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

What do you use more science or religion?

1. kenjmo profile image59
    kenjmoposted 3 years ago

What do you use more science or religion?

Of course for most of us we use both, but what causes us to use one over another and in what time or situation.

2. Snøwman profile image61
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

Like most people, I use both. Science is actually part of religion. We use science to learn how God works. We use religion to know why he does the things he does. God follows all the laws of science, but since he is all knowing he can use laws that even the smartest scientists have never even heard of. Either way you're studying God.

kenjmoposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree GOD in our lives give a beneficial presence, however religion was written by men like you and me. If we had followed any religious book to the letter there would be no progress and that's what I think science is, progress!

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I use science because religion varies more than science. I'm not saying different scientists don't disagree, but air is air is air. Unlike religion where one may say it is air, another will say it is God's whisper, another will say it's the sign of ending times. I prefer consistency, and with over 4000 religions, science makes sense to me.

1. Snøwman profile image61
      Snøwmanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Science is 100% accurate. Religion is 100% accurate. It's people that mess things up. Like you've said. We've really messed up religion.

2. kenjmo profile image59

philosophical words is the best description of religion not something to live by in my opinion. Science is used to help make sense what we don't know and shows us what other ?'s that needs to be asked. Thanks for the reply peeples

4. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago

It's my personal opinion that there is no convergence between the two.  Sure, believers love to talk about how science explains how God did what he did, but that's not the case - especially when you have a segment (no matter how small or large) who are convinced, and want to convince everyone else) that God can only have done it one way when there are boatloads of evidence that say otherwise. 

Science doesn't answer any of the why questions for me. It isn't meant to as far as I know. Why would I turn to science if my biggest life questions are about why? If I'm not concerned about why, but rather how, something happened, then I'll turn to science.

I think the gargantuan efforts to align the two, which I see mostly from believers, is a wasted one. Find out if the questions you have are how or why questions and turn to that which is most likely to answer them. Don't let someone else's assertion that there is no grand purpose convince you that it's true if it's something you don't believe in the depths of your soul.

That said, don't let your faith convince you that there is only one possibility of how and that it's all explained in your holy books. It's not. The whys are written in holy books all over the world and throughout all of time. The hows are what science has been exploring, and will continue to explore.

At least that's my point of view.

I use science more from a wellness standpoint. Most things from religion are unattainable and unachievable at times. Examples Noah's arc or following the 10 commandments to the T. I agree with you though thanks for the comment.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a matter of balance - are we talking about areas where science clearly is the way to go (physical wellness) or are we looking at personal happiness, wellness, and growth.  Matter of perspective I think. big_smile

5. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 3 years ago

Science. Religion (formal or information) plays no part in my life.

6. definitions profile image59
    definitionsposted 3 years ago

When my brother was in hospital, oddly enough, they used science.

7. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

I use both.

Science studies the products of creation; spirituality (the core of true religion) studies the sources of creation.

I have studied science most of my life, but I have also studied religions (many of them). I have studied miracles and discovered how they work.

I have also discovered recently the science of spirituality -- Kabbalah. Kabbalists wrote the Bible, embedding wisdom there that has remained hidden for 3,000 years or more. But since 1995, Kabbalah is now released to the general public. It delivers the exact steps you can take to become like God -- loving, generous, all-knowing, and more.