jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Why do Hollywood journalists/writers seem often eager to condemn the Church of S

1. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

Why do Hollywood journalists/writers seem often eager to condemn the Church of Scientology yet...

demonstrate such reluctance to condemn truly brutal "religions"? I am not a follower of the COS nor do I plan to ever become one, but from what I've learned of them, they certainly don't have an agenda of forcing their beliefs on everyone else. All the same, it seems that Hollywood writers often go to great lengths to rag on this one religious organization, while voicing noticeably scant condemnation for "religious" organizations that routinely kill, dismember, brutalize and seek to destroy believers of other faiths. What are your thoughts on this?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9219505_f260.jpg

2. Sri T profile image80
    Sri Tposted 3 years ago

Because they use aggressive recruiting methods in California. They would approach people on Sunset Blvd for a free personality test. Then they would explain how to fix limiting beliefs or character issues and take names and phone numbers. Then they would harass the curious people into joining their organization for months afterwards, which uses cult techniques, meetings, and new age conditionings. It's almost impossible to get rid of them. They have a system called auditing where they use one of their people in sessions to erase or remove past hurts or subconscious memories of pain called engrams with a mild hypnosis like technique. You pay a fee for each audit to remove engrams. The audits never end because each person has and still collects countless engrams. The goal is to become clear of bad programming. Then they keep promoting the person's " state of consciousness" to different ranks according to their charts of achievement and selling them books with their own created terminology. All the way up to outer space contacts, psychic powers, becoming a super being etc. The main thing is they milk thousands of dollars out of the person in the process. It works for Tom Cruise, what can I say. Any new age cult will be under intense scrutiny. Look at China's Falun Dafa. Millions of members.

bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sri T, well that sure doesn't sound like a very friendly way to recruit members! I am guessing then some of the Hollywood journalists that dog them in the press have had personal experience with the church and these methods?

2. Sri T profile image80
      Sri Tposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Possibly. Since a lot of celebs are into it, it's also a reason to bash them. They do the same to those who are into The Kabbalah Center in Los Angeles.

3. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

Perhaps Scientology is an easier target, simply because there are so many Scientologists in Hollywood? Although, I have to say, as a Catholic, I see my religion getting hammered pretty regularly!

That is sad sad

4. recappers delight profile image84
    recappers delightposted 3 years ago

There are a number of potential reasons for this, but I'd suggest that among other things, Scientology is a relatively new religion (established in 1952), so it has not stood the test of time as an ongoing, traditional belief system in the same way that Christianity, Buddhism, Islam etc. have done. Its membership is relatively small, and there is still a widespread concern that this particular church exists primarily to make money. There are also concerns that Scientology encourages people to make dangerous decisions regarding medical care.

recappers delight, I think there is truth in what you said about being a newer religion. Thanks much!

5. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 3 years ago

Scientology is ridiculous.  I wrote a hub about it.  Check it out if you get a chance.

Lybrah, as an author I have to wonder about L.Ron Hubbard's sanity when it comes to the formation of COS - I can't fathom creating a religion out of one of my own fantasy novels.But I do know a couple of COS folks & they haven't tried to convert

working