jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)

Is this all to life: we live, we reproduce, and we die?

1. Ben Aidoo profile image75
    Ben Aidooposted 3 years ago

Is this all to life: we live, we reproduce, and we die?

If we knew without a doubt that life continues after death, would it change how we treat each other?. By the way, is the transmutation of the caterpillar into a butterfly after death any hint to what might happen to us after death? If you think this is idle thoughts, listen to what Albert Einstein said, "Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere". It may not be a bad idea to critically examine the possibility that death is not the end of life, but the beginning of a new life. If we gave it no thought at all, how badly prepared we would be if there is life after death.

2. Cristale profile image83
    Cristaleposted 3 years ago

Reincarnation is believed by many. There is no way of knowing what is after death until a person experiences it. There have been many dying experiences, where a person dies briefly then comes back to life only to report what they have seen while they were dead for that moment. Many reports state that they were in heaven and saw angles, plus Jesus' face. But what about the people who have passed away and their spirit still remains on the Earth?

Ben Aidooposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree death transforms us from a physical to a spiritual life, but I'm not sure about reincarnation. Assuming a baby was reincarnated by her grandmother, when grown nothing indications she has the memory of her grandmother. Where does it  go?

3. connorj profile image77
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11883128_f260.jpg

In 2003 I went comatose for a month. I was pronounced brain-dead by a doctor at Florida Hospital upon arrival. Luckily the medical staff transferred to a higher level hospital and kept on life support until I eventually awakened.
    I had a full recovery and continue to practice psychology and profess at my college. My experience while comatose was indeed wonderful and I came back better for it. I think your analogy of the butterfly is significant. I find it extraordinarily difficult to believe death is our end. My experience suggests that another most wonderful journey begins when we give up our body...

Cristale mentioned the near death experiences of people who saw mental images of spirit beings and events in the afterlife. Did your experience while comatose include seeing mental images, that made  you believe there is life after death?

2. connorj profile image77
      connorjposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, in particular 2 that I thought I knew yet couldn't call them by name. I wrote a hub titled, There & Back Version Deux. When I awakened from my coma I looked to my wife (in my room) and said, "is it ok if I go back?" I wasn't talking to her..

3. Ben Aidoo profile image75

The butterfly analogy is apt, where we see a creature dies in one form, and brought back to life in another form. Should nature repeat itself, we would be resurrected as spirit beings, making life after death a possibility we overlook at our peril.

4. connorj profile image77
      connorjposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ben,
      Yes indeed, I agree with what you say completely; after my experience I am convinced that there is "life" after death. I am also quite certain He knows everything that we have done and failed to do...

4. Diana Lee profile image84
    Diana Leeposted 3 years ago

I certainly hope this is not it.  I would rather believe in the hereafter only to find I'm wrong than to not believe in it and find out I'm right.  There are too many unexplained happenings around us to think this is all there is.  Anything is possible.

1. pattyfloren profile image79
      pattyflorenposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it just like what water is to fire?

5. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

No.

The body lives and dies, but there is another, more permanent consciousness which is spirit. Sometimes the spirit reincarnates and sometimes it splits and reincarnates into multiple bodies.

But there will come a time when we will join back together as one soul. This will be accomplished by the method mentioned by Jesus -- to love one another as ourselves, and to wish for them everything that they desire. When we take such full responsibility for others, then we become them in a very real way.

Only with such love can we ever heal the world.

The problem with reincarnation is that if one soul reincarnates several people, at the end of time whose soul would it be?

6. cjhunsinger profile image75
    cjhunsingerposted 3 years ago

"It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously.' Einstein also said this.
    In answer to your question, this is what we believe we know. We are born, live and will die on an infinitesimally small speck of rock, that is hurtling through space at over a million miles an hour, coming from nowhere and going to nowhere.
    We define existence, as our perception and imagination permits. We are an evolving species of intelligent life and to our knowledge, the only such form of intelligent life, so far. We are the only known life form capable of asking questions and, in that, it is we, who must provide the answers.
    As we evolve and continue to build a knowledge base, our answers increase in correctness. We no longer believe that the earth is the center of the universe or that it is flat. The solution to the questions and the  problems we face does not reside in the mystical world of the supernatural, but rather, in the human capacity to reason.

We form our opinion about reality base on our experiences. If someone says he believes in God, and life after death based on what he knows from personal experience, on what grounds can we say his belief is false when we have not had his experience?

2. cjhunsinger profile image75
      cjhunsingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ben---On the same grounds that one would inform a child that tooth fairies, probably do not exist. I suppose we can let the child continue to believe. What harm can it do?

3. Ben Aidoo profile image75

A child has not developed his cognitive faculty sufficient to discern truth from falsehood, that much we know. But if we as adults cannot rely on our personal experiences to validate the truth we may well walk in the dark blindfolded.

4. cjhunsinger profile image75
      cjhunsingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ben
      Guide them to the idea that they can simply remove the blindfold. It is much better when one crosses a street.

5. Ben Aidoo profile image75

It happens that when you don't rely on personal experience for the truth, you keep the blindfold on.

working