jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What does it mean?:..."I'm going to church"

1. Joel Diffendarfer profile image94
    Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years ago

What does it mean?:..."I'm going to church"

I was born and bred in church....does going to church really mean anything?

2. C.V.Rajan profile image78
    C.V.Rajanposted 3 years ago

It really means something if you grow from being religious to being spiritual by leveraging your visits to church.

My Guru Mata Amritanandamayi used to say "It is okay to be born in temple but don't die in temple". What she means is that a mere religious (and mechanical, sentimental or even maniacal) attachment to temple (church) is not going to lead one to spirituality and the inner growth should take place simultaneously. If that happens, one will grow out of (mere ritualistic visits to) temple, or getting stuck to the temple (=dying in temple).

Again, if visits to temple have not correctly fueled our spirituality (or we failed to correctly acquire the benefits), then again we are the losers.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image97
      Rochelle Frankposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This is very insightful. There was a time when church attendance was important to acquiring  my spiritual knowledge and practicing the principles. I can still appreciate an occasional visit,  but it is now  not the total of my spiritual life.

3. Joel Diffendarfer profile image94
    Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years ago

C.V.Rajan ... wow!  I had to read and reread your response several times...thanks!

working