jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Pagan religion V.S. Christianity, which one is better?

1. profile image61
    peter565posted 3 years ago

Pagan religion V.S. Christianity, which one is better?

Pagan faith is now reviving in certain parts of Northern Europe, in Ice land, it is now the 2nd largest religion.  The first modern temple of Thor have already been build, with the pagan priests gaining donation from the public.  So, pagan faith v.s. Christian faith, which do you think is better

2. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 3 years ago

Huh?  Are you kidding me?  Thor is a comic book character, nothing more.  Maybe some crazy Avenger fans want him to be real, but seriously, Christianity is way better.  Most historians would agree that Jesus did indeed exist.  Thor and the other gods are all made up.

1. jlpark profile image85
      jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Stargrrl - before dismissing Thor as a comic book character, I would suggest you brush up on Norse Mythology, as Thor was a Norse God long before he was a comic book character, along with Odin, Frig etc SMH

2. profile image0
      Stargrrlposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Nevertheless, Thor is a manmade god.  That's what I believe.

3. jlpark profile image85

Thats fine. As long as you accept that many feel the same about Jesus/Holy Trinity etc, as you do about Thor (that they are imaginary/manmade), all is well. Just wanting to point out, checking facts helps is all. Peace be with you.

3. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

Paganism is older - it is Paganism that Paul writes about in Corinthians when he speaks about men and women giving themselves over to 'unnatural lusts' - some of the celebrations in paganism of Biblical times are rather sexual in nature, and from what I gather, Paul was a bit of a prude.

BUT, which is better? If you are thinking along the lines of a personal choice of religion - then, either is just fine - which ever resonates best with you.

To be Pagan, you don't necessarily believe in Thor or even worship him - he is part of Norse mythology, so not all Pagans or even the majority may worship him.  It makes more sense in Iceland, given their Norse heritage, but I doubt your average American (or at least non-icelandic) Pagan does not worship Thor. (to be honest, I don't know all the Gods/Goddesses Pagan people worship, so he could be!)

I don't want to go into the harm caused by forcing Christianity on indigenous populations of discovered countries (my own included), use of the Bible and Christianity to support discriminatory laws (in the last week even), the Crusades, the Witch hunts? It does seem a little unbalanced in one direction, but I don't think that was the question you asked. I don't agree with religion being used for harm. So any religion that does this, is a negative to me.

Which ever works for you, Peter, is better. Neither work for me (as goes with most religions for me), so I just learn about them instead - treating them all as equals.

1. jlpark profile image85

Wow! Thanks for the Best answer pick!

2. profile image61
      peter565posted 3 years agoin reply to this

smile

working