Atheists- why do you not believe in God? or various gods?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Christy Maria profile image69
    Christy Mariaposted 8 years ago

Atheists- why do you not believe in God? or various gods?

I will be using peoples answers for an article I will be writing. If you do not want me to quote your answer, please say so in your answer.

2. Be Like Water profile image63
    Be Like Waterposted 8 years ago

Why don't you believe in the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, and unicorns?

The better question would be, why do people believe in God/gods?
    Blind faith, fear, ignorance, or delusions. There is no other reason. But it also depends on your definition of God.

I don't believe in God/gods because of the lack of proof. Magic isn't a valid argument. Prove to me God is real, give me solid proof and I'll start believing. May be I am coming off as a rude, condescending guy, but it's a valid argument.

Christy Mariaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I completely respect your point of view. Thank you for the insight. Do you mind if I use your answer as a quote for my article?

2. Be Like Water profile image63
      Be Like Waterposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't mind. What is the article about?

3. Christy Maria profile image69

Honestly, I have not figured out the layout one hundred percent yet. But I for sure know that I want to be discussing the difference in believing in God/gods, atheism, monotheism, etc. I thought it would be interesting to have peoples views

3. getitrite profile image69
    getitriteposted 8 years ago

I don't believe in any gods, because it is clear that all of these gods were invented by mere humans, from our ancient past.  Ancient holy books, in no way, portray the mind and assertions of an all knowing creator, but rather the ignorance of unlearned, dishonest, and savage humans. 
    I think Occam's Razor is the best way to conclude the existence of a god, as opposed to man made fraudulent assertions.  There is irrefutable evidence, everywhere, of dishonest humans, but there is NO evidence of a god whatsoever.

great insight. Thank you! Am i able to use this in my article when I am able to write it?

2. getitrite profile image69
      getitriteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, feel free to use my comment

4. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

Our only point of reference for deities is us. Divine accounts, texts, and rituals are all relayed by humans. And, aside from our knowledge of the universe being extremely limited, we are unreliable narrators. There is a saying that 'history is written by the winners' and religion is no different. That which survives was on the "right" side of history, and everything else gets designated as 'mythology'. If some early civilizations hadn't fallen, atheists of today would be debating believers in Zeus.

The over-abundance of gods, and the way they steal narrative concepts from each other, stinks of human creation. Without the ability to verify any of the "miracles" from the past 10,000 years, prophets and storytellers have no more weight than modern day writers.

That is a very interesting way to put it. Thank you for the insight. I hope you don't mind me using this in my article when i end up being able to write it.

2. M. T. Dremer profile image86
      M. T. Dremerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not at all. I answer these types of questions with the specific hope that others will see and consider these viewpoints. smile

5. Michael-Milec profile image61
    Michael-Milecposted 8 years ago

Interestingly enough a question is directed only to a- theists. One of the definition of atheism is  n. " the doctrine or belief that there is no God."
    Long time ago, when communism was progressing well, one of my friends honestly admitted " I just believe that there is no God..."
    Have  a great success with your article.

Thank you. It is true I directed the answer to atheists, and that is because I am unable to answer the question why atheists believe what they do, not being on myself. I have been agnostic, and I am a strong believer, i have not been atheist.

6. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

I am an agnostic.  The reason I am not a full-on atheist is because based on my informal study of near-death experiences, I believe there are beings more powerful than mankind.  However, they exist in a separate realm, and they have limited control over what happens in this one.
    I believed in God most of my life, but a series of unfortunate events, which involved my inadvertently joining a cult putting my life in danger in the process, and then being forced to watch helplessly while my niece dropped out of high school to join a cult, caused me to reconsider my stance.  Flashbacks gave me the repeating thought, "What if I did that to my children?  What sort of parent would I make?  Even with my limited knowledge and abilities, I know better than that!  If I can't do better, don't do it at all."  (I have no children - my choice.)
    Reading articles and comments from atheists have also helped me see the emotional manipulation and lack of logic regarding the Abrahamic religions.  I have also done a brief study on the 10 most practiced religions in the world (they are included in 4 hubs titled, "What Takes More Courage Than Rebellion?  Considering Another Point of View).  Most religions believe in at least one Deity, but they also are open-minded enough to admit they don't have all the answers.  I have since come to the conclusion that any religion that declares itself as Absolute Truth should be suspected as a cult.  No one has the right to make that distinction, since no one has all the answers to life's questions.
    Yes - please feel free to quote me!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)