jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Do we really control our lives or are we just pawns in a chess game?

1. profile image55
    drseussposted 2 years ago

Do we really control our lives or are we just pawns in a chess game?

I like to think life has a bigger purpose, but I can't help dwell on everything that happens to tell me otherwise. Why are loved ones taken from us so unexpectedly? Why do we make decisions in life before knowing the outcome? Why do we contradict ourselves in every aspect of life? for example: why eat a salad and work out if after your workout, you smoke a cigarette? Why does life feel impossible at times but way to easy at other times? Are we truly in control?

2. chuckandus6 profile image76
    chuckandus6posted 2 years ago

honestly I don't always feel in control,I think because of family,society, my own insecurities and stresses.caffeine and nicotine addictions. but, I.don't think I would want to have complete control,it would be to dull.

1. profile image55
      drseussposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Does it terrify you to even say that out loud? I am not in complete control.

2. chuckandus6 profile image76
      chuckandus6posted 2 years agoin reply to this

yeah a little but your question sparked that knowledge of it,but it's okay.I am okay with it...I think.lol

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Anyone who has the ability to kill them self and (chose) not to is controlling their life to some degree.
    They're alive because they want to be.
    Having said that early on we learn that life on earth is meant to be (temporary). Everyday isn't going to be filled with sunshine and rainbows. Setting and pursuing goals/dreams is what gives life a purpose. Ultimately it's about the journey and not the destination.
    Spoiler alert: We're all going to die!
    "Death never takes the wise man by surprise, he is always ready to go."  - Jean de La Fontaine
    Live life to the fullest and make the most of each day!
    Without death (life and time) would be less precious.
    It's up to each of us to make the most of what time we do have on earth to learn, explore, and enjoy. Every minute that goes by is a minute we can't get back. The world may not owe you anything but you owe yourself the world!

1. chuckandus6 profile image76
      chuckandus6posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Very good answer

4. Akriti Mattu profile image76
    Akriti Mattuposted 2 years ago

We control our lives but only if we want to.

working