Why is there so much Atheism vs. Non-Atheism discussion/topics on here?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Chriswillman90 profile image96
    Chriswillman90posted 3 years ago

Why is there so much Atheism vs. Non-Atheism discussion/topics on here?

Lately I'm seeing a lot of cruel to downright disgusting discussion regarding the topic of belief versus non-belief and I don't get it. Why can't we just respect each other without attacking ones beliefs.

2. Kiss andTales profile image77
    Kiss andTalesposted 3 years ago

I appreciate your appeal of truth and peace , and it would be a wonderful thing if everyone would be considerate another's feelings instead of attacking verbally.
    Some people may believe different but they are  gifted in many ways we may not know. God loves them as much as he loves us.

Chriswillman90posted 3 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice if we cared about others as much as people believe in God caring about us, but alas I know it's not possible. There are moments in humanity where everything comes together but many times it's downright ugly.

3. Link10103 profile image74
    Link10103posted 3 years ago

Hot topic really. All there is to it.

Usually anyway, there was a recent stir up on certain hubs which led to this and that. Now there's questions based on the topics at hand at the time.

I was fine with all of the religious and philosophical discussions but a particular hub that was clearly about a personal attack was going overboard. You can talk about the concept of religion/beliefs but why make it so personal.

4. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 3 years ago

There is quite a lot of low key discussion you might say - simply because the topic is so controversial. Some come with an established agenda of abuse and wind up strategy, others want to try and tease and outwit, still others, a minority, are genuinely interested in solid debate.
    In amongst all the ranting, abuse and weird opinion you do find nuggets of wisdom, experience and rational/scientific thought! Honestly. It's from these more considered, philosophical pieces that decent debate can be taken forward. Of course, atheists are never going to agree with believers and vice versa but that doesn't mean there isn't room for patient discussion, historical considerations and personal experiences.
    Long may the debate continue - without the mud slinging!

I'm all for an organized, rational discussion but lately the personal attacks are detrimental to this site's community and respectful nature. There was even a hub made about a personal attack, which felt so childish to me.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image91
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

You're definitely not the first person to notice this. Even the question, about why there is so much debate, is about as common as the debate itself. I honestly don't know why HubPages has become the staging ground for religious debate, but overall I think it's a good thing. As someone who frequently participates in those discussions, I have to admit that I enjoy bringing something so taboo into the light.

In person, it's never appropriate to discuss religion, yet both sides hold their beliefs very close to the chest. So there is an opposing desire to get it out. The internet has proven a good venue since it provides relative anonymity for people too shy or polite to express their opinions. Does it really make a difference? Probably not. But having this outlet, I think, is good.

It's the visceral nature of some of these debates that I don't care for, but I'm not against people wanting to tackle taboo subjects. We wouldn't progress and learn from our mistakes if such topics were avoided.

6. getitrite profile image79
    getitriteposted 3 years ago

You ask, "why cant we respect each other without attacking ones beliefs?" Really? At one time people believed that the Earth was flat. Someone had to attack that belief in order to promote an eventual change. It sounds like you just want people to ignore this same type of ignorance, that has been impeding progress for centuries.

1. Kiss andTales profile image77
      Kiss andTalesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You speak some truth here , I always look for it in all comments I read.
      True people thought the earth to be flat , but bible readers would have known different. Notice,  Isa 40:22 There is One who dwells above the circle of the earth,

2. Chriswillman90 profile image96

I'd like to think we've become more sophisticated and intelligent in the way we handle opposing opinions. Clearly that's not always the case. If people want to get their point across by attacking others then fine, but I'll take the peaceful route.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)