children christianity

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (62 posts)
  1. profile image58
    mother n sonposted 14 years ago

how do you teach your child to the value of a family when you are a single mother

1. kess profile image59
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Life will teach you and your child many good things.

However just is you, they themselves will love lies, despite of these truth taught because it suits the direction they desire to go.

What I know will work is that you yourself seek to live without hypocrisy and by you doing so you will find many things to teach them from your experience.

2. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depends, if you attempt to instill religious values, you will fail miserably as you will be looked upon as a sinner and an evil person.

If you try to explain that people do their very best at forming families, but make mistakes in their decisions because we are all human beings, you'll look like an honest person trying.

1. Valerie F profile image60
        Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's awfully judgmental of you, too.

1. profile image0
          SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Didn't you know that atheists are allowed to judge? tongue

2. profile image54

It's simple logic, Valerie.

3. alexandriaruthk profile image69
      alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can teach them the lessons you have learned and the value of it, as no matter what happens family, happy, is the way to grow up with

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

children can have lots of cousins, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles and grandmas and grandpas...

5. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

During most of my son's childhood I was a single parent. It was not easy, but transferring your values can be done by living it. smile Holly

6. profile image0

I remember going to a church service one night and seeing many different families there. Like there were three sisters and their families at the service along with their mother and father. I started feeling a little down over it because none of my brothers or sisters were there and neither was my wife. I felt like I was alone with no family.

The Lord spoke to me that night and this is what he showed me. Each and every person there was a part of my family. My brothers and sisters, moms and dads were all there. Take your son to church and let him be taught the ways of the Lord.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Literally spoke?  Or maybe you felt his guidance as you had the epiphany.  Is this process more likely to occur in a church as opposed to other places?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
          prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A family that prays together stays together except for the father who stays with another, just kidding,.

socialization and tradition, moral values sharing as young as they are are good, and you can find it in church too

but church only?  or even predominantly?

1. profile image0

I may be wrong, but it seems you have a problem with going to church. Of course I know many have this problem. I also know that many do not have a problem with going to a baseball game, football game etc. . .

No, my inquiry is serious.  I have never been spoken to by God, and I am trying to get an idea of it from your experience.  I do occasionally attend church, but have not had an experience like yours.

1. profile image0

Are you a believer in Jesus?

Not in the biblical sense.  I believe such a man existed historically, but I do not believe he was God's only son nor do I believe in his resurrection.

2. profile image54

Why then, is the divorce highest with Christians?

1. profile image0

I wasn't aware that divorce rates were higher with christians. Last time I checked it was about the same for believers and non-believers.

1. profile image54

Nope, check again.

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
                AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The point still stands

2. profile image0

I was where I was when the feeling of being alone came upon me. It could have come at any time anywhere, but it didn't.

But what was the "speaking" like?  Totally internal? did it actually have an audible sound?

1. profile image0

It was audible though it was for me only.

2. profile image54

Bad advice, teach children about a number of religions, not just the one you believe.

1. profile image0

Teach them the truth. Why teach them a bunch of lies?

1. profile image54

One would have to be completely biased and ignorant to not learn about other religions, don't you think?

1. profile image0

Buy the truth and do not sell it. Why waste time on lies?

1. profile image54

It is your personal belief it is the truth and it is most likely you probably never read any other scriptures, so you are probably not one to intelligently comment on the comparisons.

In other words, you would be biased and ignorant.

1. profile image0

You are allowed to believe whatever you want. No one is trying to force you to believe in Jesus.

I wonder if you have read every book that claims ro be from God? I am sure you haven't. So many seem to miss the fact that God is spirit. No man can understand God. He is beyond our comprehension. This is why he revealed Himself to us.

I am sure you can agree to this one statement I am about to make. Whatever a man's word is, is what the man is. For example, if a man lies all the time, then he is a liar.

God is the same. His Word is who He is. Out of all the books written claiming to be of God, how many say that men need a Savior? I also ask, who is the most debated person in modern history?

1. profile image54

But, you would be forcing children to believe in your beliefs because you refuse to teach other religions. That's was called 'bias' and 'indoctrination'

SirDent, I have read a great deal and it is excruciatingly obvious from reading your posts you've read very little.

You contradict yourself. If god is beyond your comprehension, how can you sit there and tell me what god is thinking or what he'll do next?

Ok.

You assume the bible is the word of your god, but that is exactly the same claim every other religion states, yours is no different. But, since it's highly unlikely you've read any other scriptures, you wouldn't know that.

Those are fallacies, appeals to authority and popularity.

7. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

I had a single mother till I was seven. Until that age I was surrounded by grandparents, cousins, uncles and aunts, so was very "into" my family. None of these people were divorced, and all showed excellent examples of close, functioning families in their own lives. When my mother got married, that all went away (due to moving away). So every situation is different.

8. moanalisa profile image60
      moanalisaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent question. Just BE a family! Do what families do, I'm a single mom, too.

9. Davidsonofjesie profile image60
      Davidsonofjesieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

just be a light on the hill,and all who see it will know

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

Family are not just the people we are related to by blood. I had a very unstable childhood myself and the people I came to value were not blood relations but were darned good people. Do not be afraid to let 'outsiders' help, some belief systems would say they are family too. Alternative methods to teach the same lesson.

3. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

I'm not sure myself as I'm not a mother nor am I in a single parent family. My father is present he lives with us but other than that he's not involved in any of our lives so is like an absentee father  roll

I'm surprised you put this in the religion section and not home & family. Concerning values and religion and family-My mother and grandparents taught us how to pray when we were little and read us Bible Stories, took us to church. I'm not a church goer any more because I have issues with religion BUT I'm a believer in God and always will be.

However teaching values to children doesn't mean parents must believe in God. Values are standards-right and wrong, morals smile

There are alot of atheists out there that are good parents and have instilled great values in their children so too believers.

There are parents who believe in whatever god that do not instil good values in their children and/or are so fanatic in their belief deprive their children.

There is good and bad in parenting irrespective of beliefs.

I would say do your best as I'm sure you have been. Talk, teach AND listen.

My granddad says a family that eats together stays together.
    It's important to have a meal everyday as a family- AWAY FROM THE TV.
    Also family night- do something just you and your child. Spend time with other relatives-grandparents.
    Spend time with people you call family as in not bloood

Do not put too much pressure on yourself. Take care of you too smile

4. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

I was a single father when my wife left after I came to faith, and she left our child with me, so having no idea and being new to faith I read Dr Spock, who had not much to offer, other how to books were no better, then finally, (and it's always finally instead of first isn't it)I turned to the bible ans searched for what to do:

Deuteronomy 6 - 4:

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one!"

You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.

And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart.

You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.

You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

--------------------

My interpretation of this was to talk to my boy with God, and scripture in mind, whenever he asked a question, to explain the difference between how God sees things and how the world does, to examine his school books to see when the world was teaching him things that needed to be discussed.....and to just ensure that he got a balanced view between Gods Kingdom and the kingdom of the world (Satan's kingdom).

If your child is a girl, you will not have too many problems, if its a boy, you need to find strong male friends/brothers in Christ to act as role models and guides for him, or he will lack the vital male influence that has caused so many problems in our society when men abandon families.

I took the decision to NEVER allow any girlfriend to be seen in our house, so he never got the impression that women were interchangeable convenience items to be disposed of on a regular basis, I had a girlfriend, but we both knew we were not going to be permanent (as in married) so I simply kept her away from the boy, and although she was displeased, she accepted my judgement.

I NEVER bad mouthed his mother, quite the opposite, I built her up and made her excuses as to why she had left him, took the full blame and made sure he never thought it was anything to do with him.

When you do this is cuts off the other party from bad mouthing you or starting range wars over what was said, if your child's other parent bad mouths you, your child is going to realize that they are in the wrong, you gain from their weakness.

Besides which, when the child gets older they may want a relationship with the other parent, and it's not fair to deny them unless the other parent is violent or in other ways a bad influence that could hurt the child.

Most of all, pray and ask Christ to guide you in all you do, and remember He is always looking on at you and knows exactly where you are, and will step in to help when you let Him.

1. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

....and by the way, my son grew up to be a fine lad who is now 20 years old and helping street kids in the Bronx!

I remarried and we have another fine daughter of 8 years of age... with God all things are possible.

1. profile image54

Yes, even sinning is possible. Isn't it a sin to divorce?

"Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." —Matthew 19:6

"For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away..." —Malachi 2:16

In Matthew 5:32, Jesus said, "But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

Hi Q,

Having a life as well I am late to answer my favourite sock puppet.

My first wife left me, and made it perfectly clear that she had no intention of ever returning, plus started living with another man. She is now remarried and we are friends.

In the circumstances divorce is possible. I am now remarried to a another believer and as such we would never get divorced, however unbelievers who leave and live with someone else and are still unrepentant four years later, and who divorced me in any case, do not cause a problem.

Take your smug little sneers back to sock puppet land, maybe if you ever write a hub I may listen to you, but after two years is that likely?

1. profile image54

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that I'm a sock puppet or is that just another unfounded belief on your part?

I suppose that makes you both sinners and are both going to hell?

I must be having a tremendous effect on your beliefs. hehe

"I must be having a tremendous effect on your beliefs. hehe"

Non whatsoever Q, for you do not exist, so how can you affect  my anything.

Anyhow sock away for as long as you can get away with it, I personally will just ignore you, 'cos I don't feed trolls either.

1. profile image54

Then, you must be talking to yourself.

How can you ignore something you believe not to exist? Can you explain that?

5. profile image58
    mother n sonposted 14 years ago

thank you very for the advices

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

I have a few errands to run and will be back later.

7. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Sir Dent:

Oh, a little education would enlighten so many!
    Jesus never wrote or spoke a word of what is written in the new testament!
    Yet those who who claim to be christian, seem to think, little and follow blindly.
    They say jesus said, when they know nothing about what jesus said. NO ONE DOES!
    They sit in bible school or church and absorb all the lies spewed by those who are as ignorant about the history and evolution of their beliefs as they are.
    That speaks volumes to me about how easily led and how ignorant "followers" are.
    You are Scary!

8. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

I'm not trying to mix things up here, Sir Dent, but is it not possible that Jesus was God incarnate, that he came to earth, died on the cross for the world's sins, and was resurrected, but that ALSO a lot of the Old Testament is not worth the papyrus it was written on. Surely you are not, in theory, saved by a belief in stories like this......

1. profile image0

I am saved by grace through faith. It is from God and Him alone. Do we throw out what seems to be bad and only try to keep the good?

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

Definitely. That's exactly what we do. Isn't that the way to live life.

2. profile image0

I have a question for you. This is hypothetical. Suppose you traced your geneology back through time and found that one of your ancestors was a mass murderer or serial killer. Does the fact the he/she was such an evil person make that person out to be not one of your ancestors?

The Bible is true and always will be true. Some parts are hard to swallow, but they are there for believers to swallow. I will also say, it is not as bad as you think it is. Man was evil during the Old Testament times. God chose someone out of all the people on the earth to call His own. He didn't choose a big powerful nation. In fact, He chose a man who was a liar, a cheat, a con-man and a womanizer. God loves those who are rejected by society. In fact, He loves everyone. He doesn;t like to see His people picked on.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

I think the problem is that the OT God is such a bruiser, openly requiring genocidal tactics and ethnic cleansing, this is hard to square with say, The Psalms, where he is depicted as compassionate and merciful. It makes a whole lot more sense simply to say that the Torah was written by a tribal people with a different conception of their god (or something), and that other parts of the Bible make an awful lot more sense (after all, isn't my moral sense 'inscribed on my heart', so doesn't that allow me to 'discern' good from evil)

1. profile image0

If you found out you had a cancerous tumor, would you like to leave part of it in?

When someone becomes so evil that nothing good ever comes to their mind, they need to be destroyed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)