Do you consider Christmas to be more than a marketing festival?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Michael-Milec profile image61
    Michael-Milecposted 8 years ago

Do you consider Christmas to be more than a marketing festival?

2. aliasis profile image75
    aliasisposted 8 years ago

Sure. I am an atheist and there's absolutely no religious aspect to Christmas for me, however, Christmas is an extremely important holiday for me nonetheless. To me, it represents getting together with family, spending time together, eating great meals, singing and playing games, and ultimately just being with the people who love you the most. That isn't something that can be "marketed". And hey, I like the gift-giving traditions (though I think it can definitely go overboard, for sure) and I like the tree, the holly, and other decorations. It's great to have some festivities in winter. But ultimately, the important thing is about being together with family.

Michael-Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks allasis for being first respondent to the widely advertised commercialization of the Christmas season. Glad to hear you choose your own way celebrating the spirit of the season without any pressure from outside...Wouldn't be nice if this kind

3. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years ago

Yes absolutely, Christmas represents the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ.
    That being said, there are those who use Christmas to market what they are selling. 
    Peace and Merry Christmas to you Michael-Milec.

More  so in the hearts of believing children, women and men , mostly behind the closed doors of ones family home... We do celebrate presence of the Savior of the world gratefully for Him bein Emmanuel- God with us always.
      The same wishes back to you

4. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12739849_f260.jpg

Indeed, it is the celebration of the birth of the Son of God. Having texted that we celebrate the season from Christmas Eve to the Epiphany (January 6th). Yet it is also a time for celebration with family and friends, both Christian, Jewish, and even Agnostics... We look at it as a time of peace and joy.

Lovely choice of extended celebration coming " God with us"- Emmanuel throughout  the January then why not a  year-round? Enjoy it my friend peace and joy every day in health and  happynes.

2. connorj profile image68
      connorjposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Michael. I do try to extend this thesis year-long...

5. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 8 years ago

Hi Michael,
    Yes, most certainly I view Christmas as more than a marketing festival.
    I absolutely LOVED Christmas as a child...Life was so simple back then.  My grandmother who raised me made Christmas cutout cookies with red cinnamon candies which I loved.
    Excitement was in the air!  LOVED Christmas vacation from school.  My sis and I went sleigh riding in the deep snow.  In those days chains were put on car tires and sounded to me like Santa's sleigh going by the house.
    We went to the Presbyterian church and were told very early about the birth of Christ.  (even though I did not learn of salvation through Christ until I was eighteen years old...from another church).  I remember as a teen praying at the foot of the bed with my Bible...I read the Psalms.  So God knew I was searching.
    I loved the magic and the ambience those days...NO bickering about being 'offended' at "Merry Christmas"...I LOATHE, LOATHE, LOATHE 'HAPPY HOLIDAYS' and the brouhaha attached to Christmas now.
    I miss my childhood days when Christmas was so much more real.  Now people complain about a manger on a neighbor's lawn. 
    I get very upset when someone says, "Christmas is for children."
    It. Is. Not.
    Christmas is for EVERYONE.  It is the celebration of the birth of the Person who saved my life.  The whole meaning of Christmas is Jesus birth.
    Alas, it has become a marketing fiasco, with a child ripping open one gift after another...
    It has become an awful marketing tool...The Christmas commercials have started already!
    Last Christmas my daughter's gift to me was a NYC trip to Radio City Music Hall.  We only live 3 1/2 hours away...I take a bus there quite often as I LOVE NYC!  She bought us tickets for the Christmas show.  There were dancing Santas, the Rockettes, comedy, light and funny music...but the FINAL part was the manger, angels, and a tribute to Jesus Christ.  It was SO beautiful, and tears streamed down my face.  I just wept for joy that they did not leave Jesus out of Christmas.
    All this being said, I say to those who do NOT believe in Jesus and criticize "Merry Christmas" and get offended by mangers and carols:  Simply tell your children there is no reason to participate...that this is a religious holiday you do not believe in and treat it like another day...and let those who DO believe in our Lord and Savior celebrate Jesus's birthday.
    Also, I DO love the giving as the joy is in the giver...and Jesus was born to GIVE US ETERNAL LIFE.  Praise God!  Blessings, Michael Milec

Double thank you Sparklea for your uplifting comment as well as to the HP administration letting it through. My curiosity would end in satisfaction that in all this hustle and bustle of the season, the Prince of peace continues living in the hearts.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)