jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What is the difference between Offering and Sacrifice?

1. Segun Tewogbola profile image78
    Segun Tewogbolaposted 2 years ago

What is the difference between Offering and Sacrifice?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image63
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

Let's put it this way.  Suppose you want a lift home.   I have a car, I'm going your way and your home is practically on the way to where I'd be driving anyway.  I say, "Would you like a lift?"  That's an offering.

On the other hand, you live in the opposite direction to which I wish to go.  It's going to take me thirty minutes out of my way to drop you off.   I don't feel happy about it, but you're a friend - that's a sacrifice.

3. profile image0
    His daughterposted 2 years ago

When you look at the word sacrifice in the Old Testament, the Hebrew word that is used means an animal killed for an offering.  Once instance where both the words sacrifice and offering are used are found in Psalm 40:6 (NKJV)
    6  Sacrifice and offering You did not desire; My ears You have opened. Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.
    The sacrifices required by God...the death and shedding of blood ended when Christ became the ultimate lamb sacrificed for our sins.  However, we do find in this: Romans 12:1 (NKJV)
    1  I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
    We no longer need to sacrifice animals etc. but we present ourselves as LIVING sacrifices.  This means as a living sacrifice some things are to die in our lives:  For instance:  we let our hands work no sin.  It dies.  We allow our eyes to look upon no evil.  We let some things we may have watched at one time, die...not causing our eyes which affect our mind and actions to sin.  It is a dying to self which Jesus spoke of to be His disciple.
    An offering according to the Hebrew word used in Psalm 40:6 speaks of the act of making a gift or a free contribution; what is brought to another as a gift.  This word is also used in Malachi 3:8-10 when the Lord spoke of the giving of our tithes and offerings.
    Hope this helps.  Blessings!

1. profile image57
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

2. profile image0
      His daughterposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Smile!

4. petenali profile image87
    petenaliposted 2 years ago

I've always believed that an offering is something you "own" that you are able to give.  It is something given almost out of your abundance or well within your ability.  A sacrifice is something you give of yourself, it's something that actually costs you something.  In monetary terms, the offering might come from your savings account when you might feel compelled to give extra to a cause.  A sacrifice will come out of your regular account and would involve you going without something else to pay that amount.  I hope that makes sense...

working