jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

When did You Consider Yourself an Adult?

1. threekeys profile image81
    threekeysposted 22 months ago

When did You Consider Yourself an Adult?

Was it age? Achieving an Expectation? When your Parent Told You That Was So? When You Had A Child? How did it happen for you?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13084844_f260.jpg

2. cheaptrick profile image72
    cheaptrickposted 22 months ago

The day my inner child was murdered by the demands of adulthood;the day the music died.

1. profile image0
      Cissy1946posted 22 months agoin reply to this

Revive the music! It's out there waiting for you...

2. threekeys profile image81
      threekeysposted 20 months agoin reply to this

One of the big challenges is somehow finding the ways not to allow that instinctual creative part of you to be squashed by that inner parental ego. That creative child like self sees the stars at night and questions everything with delight.smile

3. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 22 months ago

That's a hard question. Is growing up the same thing as becoming an adult? If it is then I have a problem because everyone tells me I'll never grow up. On the other hand I have worked and supported myself since before leaving home in 1967. But I guess if you pinned me down I'd say becoming an adult happened gradually until one day I realized I was the only person responsible for my well being, and for any debts I incurred.

I think growing up and being an adult can be two different things.
      While we have all these rituals in society to stamp us as an "adult" or not. Paying your own way is one way to stamp you as an Adult.

4. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 22 months ago

When an adult is one no longer a child?

I am a child as I have parents, yet have no children, thus not a parent. Many have the duality of both roles with characteristics, traits, and responsibility if one accepts a child has them. Or, perhaps undertaking responsibilities is an action of an adult?

A question. Where does a child meet a parent to be equals? Or, is an adult betwixt and between life as a child or a parent?

That does not answer the question, although it was inspired by a vivid memory. The memory was of a spat between my mother and I regard responsibility as a child. I don't remember exactly what. Maybe it was taking the trash out, cleaning my room, helping as a sibling with homework, or some such. She said, "Tim, you have to do your adult responsibilities."

The point being that is when I had my first 'realization' of being an adult. How old was I? All I remember is it was before I entered the Scouting program because that realization was a motivating factor to join them. I wanted more responsibilities.

Responsibilities...that word. It seems that adult life is about "responsibilities and problems-problem solving".

5. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 22 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13085416_f260.jpg

When I had moved 2000 miles away to Southern California, had my own apartment, job, and was 100% responsible for my well being.
    I was 21 at the time. My mother flew out for a visit and for the first time it felt like we were communicating as one adult to another.
    Being (completely independent) of one's parents or guardians is adulthood. As long as you depend on them for guidance or financially you're not an adult in their eyes no matter how old you are.
    "God bless the child that's got his own."

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 20 months agoin reply to this

GREAT ANSWER.....

6. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 21 months ago

When I was earning a living and paying all my own bills.

yes...but can be challenging at times.

working