jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

How can you get the most out of your Bible reading?

1. AnyaB profile image61
    AnyaBposted 17 months ago

How can you get the most out of your Bible reading?

2. StephanieWeemhoff profile image77
    StephanieWeemhoffposted 17 months ago

The key to making your time reading the Bible effective is to find ways to apply the scripture to your own life and self. The Bible is how God allows his Holy Spirit to work His sanctification through us.
          The Old Testament is filled with stories of God's love and faithfulness to Israel. We learn how God would like us to live by the laws of the stone tablets. We see His justice, His vengeance, His strength and His patience. In the New Testament we are given principles for daily Christian living. We are told how to be a good wife/husband, how we can please God and say no to sin.
         As we read the Bible, the question to ask is how does this apply to my own life? That is what truth can I learn to help me see God more clearly? What areas do I need to work on to become more like Christ? Reading the Bible in addition to praying allows us to ask God to reveal areas in our lives that need His forgiveness or our repentance.

1. AnyaB profile image61
      AnyaBposted 17 months agoin reply to this

Seeing that Bible itself says that God's Word is a lamp to our foot, and a light for our path. It's important to get as much out of it as we can. Some questions I ask myself are, how can I use this information in my life?

2. profile image58
      Norine Williamsposted 17 months agoin reply to this

I wonder if ANYONE "believes" *Jn 14:26;16:13? READ! Who then "leads & guides" you? "Faith comes by hearing & hearing by the WORD of GOD" (Rm10:17)! We've GOT to "WAIT" (Acts 1:4) for HELP fm the *HOLY SPIRIT!
      James 1:5 "Lack knowledge; ask

3. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 17 months ago

I read Proverbs periodically by itself to see that good advice is timeless. Dave Ramsey refers to it as an MBA in personal finance - stay out of debt, save up money and supplies, control the impulse to spend on luxuries, don't bother "keeping up with the Jonses".

4. profile image58
    Norine Williamsposted 17 months ago

Well, since "the WORD is GOD" (John 1:1); "GOD is a SPIRIT" (John 4:24) and "TRUE WORSHIPERS" MUST [REPEAT] MUST worship HIM in SPIRIT and in TRUTH," it appears we need HELP (John 14:26) from the HOLY SPIRIT (Acts 1:9) for "...the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life" (II Corinthians 3:6)! 

When one "STUDIES" (II Timothy 2:15) Bible, it's not as though you're reading Cinderella or any other book; IT is "GOD SPEAKING" (II Timothy 3:16) and based on John 4:24 we "MUST worship HIM in Spirit and in Truth" for that's the ONLY language HE understands!  Therefore, we "commune" with HIM in SPIRIT not through a "Holy Eucharist!" That's why I Corinthians 11:27 says "Wherefore whosoever shall eat of this bread (John 6:35), and drink of this cup (John 4:14) of the Lord, UNWORTHILY (not in Spirit), shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord."   But "man" is still trying to WORK (Ephesians 2:8-9) his way into Salvation as they did under the Old Covenant! 

I've heard the term "cherry picking" of Scriptures numerous times on HP which is TOTALLY against Scripture.  GOD told us through the Prophet Isaiah how to "study" HIS WORD.  Isaiah 28:9-13 says "Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to 'understand' "DOCTRINE?" them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts [filled with the Holy Spirit with "HELP"]. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; (LISTEN:) here a little, and there a little ("Cherry Picking?"): For with stammering lips and ANOTHER tongue will he speak to his people.  To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: YET THEY WOULD NOT HEAR. But the WORD of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, there a little ("Cherry Picking?"); that they may "GO," and fall BACKWARD, and be BROKEN, and SNARED, and TAKEN."  Why do you think I keep telling ALL to "GO BACK" and "WAIT" (Acts 1:4) for the "HELP" of the HOLY SPIRIT? 

"...the letter KILLETH, but the spirit giveth life!" 

Blessings

1. Rich kelley profile image60
      Rich kelleyposted 17 months agoin reply to this

"a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
      By your disrespectful, foul, vulgar responses on Hub Pages causing the entire thread to be erased, it is clear you are not rightly dividing. You should be ashamed.

2. profile image58
      Norine Williamsposted 17 months agoin reply to this

I'm not "blaspheming" against HIS WORD; you are!  What is the "unpardonable sin" for those not under New Covenant or "in Christ?"

working