jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Is globalisation destroying culture?

1. profile image60
    Celine Josephposted 14 months ago

Is globalisation destroying culture?

2. Ken Burgess profile image89
    Ken Burgessposted 14 months ago

Well... It depends on what you mean by "globalization"...

If you mean today's technological advances, which allow people to communicate instantly with anyone, anywhere... or find information about anything, at any time... it is certainly having an impact.

Technology today is doing away with the need for large corporate media sources... what we are witnessing in real time today is the slow, agitated, death of the NY Times, CNN, etc.  people don't need, and don't want them anymore... they survive now only on the older generation's habits and inability to switch to the newer forms of information gathering.

RT (Russian Times) for instance has I believe 4 or 5 million subscribers or viewers... people watch them on their phones, their computers, and pads... and every day the number grows that are like me, willing to trust just about any foreign news source before I trust American (or British) news.   I suspect right now more people tune in to RT than CNN in America to get their 'daily' supply of news and opinion.

So that is an example of how 'globalization' is changing and destroying culture... 'news' and information used to be controlled by only a handful of outlets... now people get their information and 'news' from anywhere on the globe, from any source they prefer.

Of course there is the economic/trade globalization (WTO and WB), and the globalization governing body (U.N.) that are becoming ever more dominant over sovereign states... much the way our federal government has over the past decades come to usurp much of the States' powers and sovereignty.

So... YES... globalization is destroying culture, the sovereignty of nations, and the rights of the individual to determine their own course free of restraint or taxation... it is a slow progression that will ultimately be reliant upon technological advances and a forced break down by the governments of all social and cultural norms (much like we see going on in our country today).

3. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 14 months ago

You are seeing a consolidation of languages, going from tens of thousands several thousand years ago to likely just 400 in a hundred years. Speaking a language 100,000 people spoke used to be fine - now you have to know one of the bigger global languages like English, Chinese, Hindi, French, Spanish to be anything above working class. You even see this in China, where the official Bejing dialect is being enforced in schools and public media in an effort to wipe out Cantonese and other, mutually unintelligible dialects.
    Globalization isn't destroying culture but it is similarly reducing the number of separate ones.

1. Ken Burgess profile image89
      Ken Burgessposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Interesting point.... final sentence I agree with.

working