jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What are the best parts of human nature? What are the worst parts of himan natur

1. threekeys profile image81
    threekeysposted 7 months ago

What are the best parts of human nature? What are the worst parts of himan nature?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13692449_f260.jpg

2. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 7 months ago

It is a good question I may research to gain a better understanding. But. off the top of my head I think human nature are the innate qualities we have and is shared by all. Then come the learned qualities becoming an individual's nature. Or, we have the nature vs. nurture debate. For instance, the fight or flight response is IMHO human nature. Run or fight in the face of danger. We even do that verbally too. We retort or yell at times and it is reaction and not action. We don't think about it.

I think those human nature qualities can be described as dualism. As shared above the fight or flight response protects us. But, too, socially it can be destructive with interactions.

I think lust is a characteristic of human nature too. It is biologically driven first and then psychological. We react to those hormones and neurotransmitters that are released with the mating process. Again, we see it can be destructive too socially.

Another is communication is a human nature characteristic. I think we are driven to communicate. Body language are responses that are done innately. Again, we discover those can be destructive socially.

threekeysposted 7 months agoin reply to this

I can easily relate to all what you have expressed, Tim.
      Lust is the animal part of ourselves that acts as a  catalyst to drive us to be in relationship, otherwise we remain single units meditating on a mountain.

3. RJ Schwartz profile image93
    RJ Schwartzposted 7 months ago

Off the top of my head, the best parts are (in no order) - being able to find good or hope in the worst scenarios, our ability for unconditional love even to those who don't deserve it, and the fact that we can change; even after a lifetime of bad living.

Bad - too many people seeking power for themselves, we're allowing technology to make us lazy, and we often lose sight of the really important things in life

threekeysposted 7 months agoin reply to this

It's not easy but we do need to find the good or the hope in the most unreasonable or worst case situations. We become better human beings. With trust and working together we can do miracles.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 months ago

Worst part of human nature - the application of intelligence to taking pleasure in the pain of others, also known as evil, deliberately prolonging and enhancing it. The ability to apply competition to such harm, like the Japanese soldiers having competitions to see who could rape the most women in a day during the Rape of Nanking, is parallel to this concept.
    When a chimp wants you out of its territory and/or dead, it rips your arm off. It doesn't slowly rip off fingers, then break a wrist, then cut you to let you bleed to death to prolong the pain because that can give it pleasure.
    That is why humans are unique in being capable of evil.
    On the flipside, the ability to rise above our standard existence and engage in charity for the sake of strangers, risk our lives for those who aren't part of our "tribe", is why we can be good when animals run only on instinct.

working