Do you use Tarot or Divination Cards?

Jump to Last Post 1-42 of 42 discussions (100 posts)
  1. CrystalStarWoman profile image57
    CrystalStarWomanposted 14 years ago

I collect Tarot Cards and Divination tools - I have quite a few now (over 40 different decks I believe). However, I find it difficult to choose a favourite deck...

I have a blog where I do a sort of  daily 'Tarotscope' and I'm using the Wisdom of Avalon Oracle cards this week. I love the artwork and illustrations. I find the messages to be very relevant too, but I can't say they are my favourite cards.

Do you have a favourite deck of Tarot cards? Or a preferred method of divination?

1. progressiveWiccan profile image61
      progressiveWiccanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like tarot but dont get all I need from tarot, have tried celtic, fairy and witches even Crowley but I have dreams and do a bit of dream work. After speaking with a very gifted psychic she told me to try tea leaves, darn if that wasnt it! I am blessed to have a gift with the dreams and the tea helps confirm my dreams
      blessed be~

CrystalStarWomanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How interesting! I have never tried tea leaves myself (yet!), but someone else once read my coffee grounds many years ago.

I have had some weird and wonderful dreams over the years (I will be adding some more to my hubpages soon) but I haven't really worked with my dreams, as such...

2. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well... avalon oracle cards have been named in honour of my home town... GLASTONBURY!  I live in the Isle of Avalon!

OK.. I dont need to use cards as a tool anymore.. I guess I have retired, if you like.  But the Golden Dawn cards are very good and clues in the cards are quite obvious to me. 

I used to teach people to use the cards.. to see the obvious.  It was very effective x

p.s. I have a true affinity with Dion Fortune.

You are SO lucky to live there!

I visited Glastonbury several years ago, just on a 3 day trip - I long to go back... I climbed up the Tor, I visited Glastonbury Abbey and the Chalice Well Gardens. I had some wonderful 'adventures' while I was there, some amazing 'coincidences'. It was truly magical!

(I must write a hub about them lol)

1. profile image0

Oh .. we take magick for granted around here! lol... I married in Challice well.. jumped the broomstick, read marriage vowels from Kahlil Gibrans the prophet.. Dion Fortune lived at the well too.

I dont do the ritual thing anymore... dont feel I need to, just think things and send the love out!  Does that make sense? 

If you do that hub, maybe we could link up together?  Share the hubber love and share the magick!  Keep in contact babes x

I am very jealous lol

Not doing 'the ritual thing anymore' does make sense - I do absolutely understand what you mean and I am a strong believer in the power of thought and intention being the all important thing...

However, for want of a label, I guess I am an 'eclectic pagan, sole-practioning, Lightworker' and I do so love the sight of a lit candle or three, a gorgeous altar and the smell of incense lol

And it can give a little extra help in focusing ones thoughts wink

But who has the time these days?!! lol

We shall definitely keep in contact x

1. profile image0

great stuff!  Sometimes I do a little candle thing for those who have passed over ... we have a shop in town called heartfelt trading... I cant help feel the name says its intention... trading on heart felt - understand? x

p.s. dont be jelous.. if you want Glastonbury, you can make it happen... but you have got to want it enough!x

Do you mean that YOU have a shop, or there is a shop called Heartfelt Trading? Beautiful name smile

I used to have a shop - called Elestrial's Dream... unfortunately it was not the right location, and not the right time for me - I had lots of harsh life lessons to learn. I lost it sad (Mind you, people told me to stop giving things away, as it wasn't helping! lol)

I now have an ebay shop instead - I make Bags of Blessings smile

1. profile image0

well... I did have a shop many years ago called Sharamala.. the shop Im talking about is in glastonbury now.

You see the shop is totally fake.. you know?  They are trading on other's heart felt feelings... it is called heartfelt trading. 

Does that make sense?  Its about stuff and illusion.. you know?

The way to true enlightenment is to listen to you heart... we all live in our own truths and realities... what is good for one person isnt good for someone else.  It seems they put their will on other's when they are most vunerable.

To seek truth is to seek within oneself x

I agree absolutely, however, some need a little guidance before they come to that realization.

It can be bewildering when you're starting out on your path. You seek out advice. I was lucky enough to have some gentle, loving guidance and strong enough to say 'no - that's not right for me', when confronted with people with strong beliefs of their own.

I always advise people to do what feels right to them, to listen to their own intuition and never do something that feels wrong, or uncomfortable, just because someone else has told them it's the right way to do something.

If you see what I mean?

It's getting late and my thoughts are jumbling - not helped by the glasses of bicardi and bitter lemon I enjoyed earlier! lol

Time for bed methinks!

Sweet Dreams for tonight and Bright Blessings for tomorrow! x

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no but i think they're really cool looking from an artistic standpoint. and i love all the symbolism, although i don't know what much of it means. my sister used to read tarot cards for a while until she had some creepy experience, then she stopped.

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really? wow..to me any experience is better than none.
        Doubt it was the cards.
        Tarot, along with talismanic sigils is associated with the spheres on the tree of life.

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, she swore it was the cards. apparently she was reading some woman's cards and received a very dark reading and saw this woman's aura and she was terrified by the experience. she also said she had "visitations" from spirits and so she burned all her witchcraft books and cards, etc.

anyway she used the Rider cards...i thought they were pretty. they had a medieval look to them. i actually thought of choosing some at random and placing them on a poster board and framing them for a picure.

2. lightning john profile image59
    lightning johnposted 14 years ago

I had the Alister Chrowley deck once, along with some others.
    After some time though, I found that I did not need them at all for anything. I reley fully on my own intuitions, and visualations.

I saw the Crowley Deck a long time ago, it seemed very powerful and a little scary... not right for me at that time.

I still lack the confidence to fully trust what I get myself - I need confirmation from the cards that I'm on the right track lol

Plus I do love the artwork, which is why I have so many decks!

1. lightning john profile image59
        lightning johnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got them for intertainment at first, then noticed there was something more to them. Much more, but this was after studies from Eliphase Levi , on to present day understandings.

I've not heard of Eliphase Levi, so will have to google him smile

I was taught to read Tarot cards when I was 16, by a local well known palmist/clairvoyant. I was always fascinated by them, but lacked confidence in myself and my ability to interpret the cards. When I was 18 he wanted to me work with him, as his assistant and do readings when he was off on tour, but at the time my fiancé 'forbad' me to give up my job as a hairdresser - he was a total sceptic and didn't want me to get involved.

Over the years I have never lost interest, even though I have had long periods of time when I haven't used my cards... I always come back to them smile

2. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pretty much ditto.  They fascinated me for a while, after which it was like I'd outgrown them....

3. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I use Aleister Crowley's as well, for more than 20 years. Now I don't tell cards anymore. I don't want to 'see' anymore.

4. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

I have a few decks of Tarot Cards:

-Mystic Faerie
    -Art Noveau Mini
    -Aleister Crowley

I tend to favor the Mystic Faerie deck. It has beautiful illustrations and I get a good vibe from it. The Crowley deck... I used it only once, but it scared me terribly.

I also use a Pendulum. It was specially made for me using an Obsidian stone. I chose Obsidian because of its properties in clarification and protection. The Pendulum helps me to figure out what I truly want and get past any mixed messages.

I shall have to take a look at the Mystic Faerie deck!

Your obsidian pendulum sounds beautiful smile

I also a pendulum from time to time - but prefer to use dowsing rods. If I am trying to get a yes or no answer for myself, it isn't as reliable as using the rods, as I feel that I can influence the pendulum more easily to the outcome I most desire lol

I use a pendulum to dowse peoples' chakras before and after a healing treatment though smile

I use my dowsing rods for finding Ley lines etc, and for assessing areas of disturbed energy, if called into investigate or help with a spirit rescue...

1. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
        Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess I favor Pendulums because I've never been able to master dowsing rods, although I DO have some. I guess I just never connected with them smile

1. profile image0

I dont like crowley too much.. he thrived off of the fear of others.  Fortune was into grey and white Magick.. much better x

If you want to read more of mystical, magical Glastonbury.. the Golden Dawn and Crowley.. feel free to check this hub out.  It isnt promoting because it is related to this thread...

<snipped>

x

I shall definitely check it out smile Thanks!

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Welcome to this weeks show "Stonehenge and your future as a Druid or a Wizzard". Really wierd-o-rama!

6. globalserenity profile image60
    globalserenityposted 14 years ago

I used a RobinWood tarot deck for years, and I was rather fond of it...until a few moves left me without a few cards, and then eventually the deck grew legs and walked away.

I recently, (well like a year ago), bought a Dragon Tarot deck that I find I'm becoming comfortable with. It's different than what I'm used to, but it's certainly growing on me, and the illustrations are amazing.

Of course I've always been a dragon/fairy kinda girl, soooo it works smile

I have got the Dragon Tarot deck too - I haven't worked with them very much yet. I agree the illustrations are great, but I can't seem to connect with them...

1. globalserenity profile image60
        globalserenityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

maybe that's my problem =/

I just keep trying to form a connection with them, but it's like there's something....off. I think if I keep at it, I'll get used to them, they are beginning to grow on me smile

Seems to me you need a different deck lol

Personally I think you know almost instantly if you're going to connect with the cards or not. You will feel drawn to some cards more than others. On my blog, there is a 'widget' showing loads of different decks. The trouble is, I feel drawn to most of them! lol

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

no, I don't use cards... I just go outside and listen closely to nature.

8. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I use a set of cards called Elemental Hexagons, which is a divination card set based on the Periodic Table of Elements.  It has cards that correspond to all the major Arcana, but it's not strictly Tarot.

If you search for "Elemental Hexagons" in Google, you'll find the web page all about it.  My best friend, a woman named Calyxa, actually invented them.  It was something she'd done just for herself for about twenty years, and then she decided to show me and a few friends.  We all were blown away by how insightful the readings were and now, a few years later, they are a real working system.  She designed all the artwork and then had the cards professionally produced.

These sound fascinating - I must take a look! Thanks for sharing Relache smile

9. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Thank you, relache, must investigate the hexagons.

I have a number of tarot decks, and I use whichever is most appropriate to the type of question being asked. They all speak with very different voices.

I believe that tarot cards and other divination systems operate by freeing the mind from set patterns. The images or words generated enable new links to be seen, and thus open the way to insight.

I agree, I feel drawn to certain decks - depending on the question, and the answer often helps you to look at the situation from a different angle.

With some decks I just look at the meaning or interpretation, as given with the accompanying booklet, but with others, it's all about the image and what it says to you...

10. globalserenity profile image60
    globalserenityposted 14 years ago

Oh and along these same lines, what do you guys think about conducting your OWN readings for the sake of either practice or to simply take a glimpse into your OWN life from time to time.

I have always done this, as well as attempting to use a sharp mental focus to conduct readings over the phone with people I could not get close to in person.

I ask because I was doing a reading for myself one day and my mother called and asked me "you're doing your OWN reading?" as if extremely surprised. Just realized when she asked me that, I'd never really thought about it before.

1. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
      Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I won't conduct readings for another person, ONLY for myself. I won't involve my energy with another person's life. It's against my ethics.

I have found that many of the people who DO ask me for a reading are expecting some kind of parlor trick. Since divination is a very spiritual thing to me, I won't taint the cards by using them for a source of entertainment for someone else.

If, by chance, someone truly wanted me to do a reading for them for a good reason, I would consider teaching them how to perform their own tarot reading.

P.s. Sorry for the edit. I just woke up and am not completely in writing mode yet lol

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree it's unethical to do a reading about someone else without their permission. However, if someone asks me to read for them, they presumably think I can help them in some way, and so I do a reading for them.

2. globalserenity profile image60

I understand what you mean in a sense.

I've had people ask me for a reading before, and felt as though they were seeking it out only for entertainment. How I counter-act that I feel is to behave honestly, showing them that I'm taking it seriously.

Typically what happens is I feel the negative energy melting away from them and they become engrosses in what's going on.

When I do readings for other people, the conversation following the end of the reading,involves them outwardly discussing changes needed in their lives, goes on for hours, sometimes days. There's nothing wrong with helping people to think.

I don't see much harm in a "playful" attitude, though I try to keep absolutely goofy behavior out of the reading, just because I feel like it pulls full focus away from the reading.

I encounter another problem when reading for others...

I'm out of practice, and getting to know a new deck, so they are slow readings and for the most part, I have to continue to refer back to the book. So for me it's more of an embarrassment issue, but its always friends, and I always tell them ahead of time that I'm not a professional.

And about their energies? Energy is flexible, it moves and changes hands, changes properties, energy is everything and nothing. I don't feel like their energies have the ability to flow through the cards even after I take them back again. I feel as though my energies begin flowing back into the cards as soon as I touch them and focus towards assisting that process. 

Of course these are my opinions smile

2. CrystalStarWoman profile image57

I often do readings for myself and I draw a card every morning, to give a little insight to what lays in store for the day - partly as an experiment and for practice... the results can be very interesting!

1. globalserenity profile image60

Oh, that's a good idea, I'm going to try that! and it seems a good way to assure I get used to the meanings of each card.

11. Happyontheinside profile image70
    Happyontheinsideposted 14 years ago

Rider waite deck all the way. I had another set I picked up randomly in a bookstore one day but they were never as accurate as the new deck.

I do my own readings - not as much now as I used to (the joys of shared accomodation :p) But I never saw any harm in it and it certainly never made my readings for others any worse. I have heard that you really shouldn't (I think it's to do with personal gain) but I don't really regard the tarot as 'magic' more as a means to make your read-ee's sit back and take stock of what's going on in their lives. It makes them think about their life; and most of the time when people request a reading from me it's because they are a little lost and the cards help them to figure out why.

In all my 7 years reading the cards I have never practiced divination specific spreads...They give me the fear a little.

12. WriteAngled profile image74

I use tarot to clarify what is going on in my life or somebody else's life. It gives new perspectives. The only downside, I think, to reading for oneself is that it is too easy sometimes to twist the interpretation into something that I want to hear.

I don't believe that any divination system predicts an exact future, because that would deny us free will and choice. When I've done astrological readings for people, I've always started by emphasising that the purpose of such readings is to empower us to rule the stars, rather than letting the stars rule us.

13. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I never heard anything for me with tarrot is it for real ?

14. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I have a set of the HR Giger Tarot Cards.  They are insanely gorgeous.  I don't use them for readings, partly because they are only the major Arcana and partly because they feel like they have really heavy and dark energy.

But they are a great art piece and definitely on the rarity list.

15. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Standard Ride Waite. I never read for myself as I cannot take myself out of it.

I only ever read for others - on the conditions that:

1. They pay me
    2. They do not tell me the question they want answered
    3. I do not know them personally

I like the sound of HR Giger cards. They must be beautiful.

16. marcel285 profile image65
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

My mum does tarot cards. I believe that they can tell truths, depending on the person who's using them. I believe because iv'e had a terrifying experience involving and ouija board, which lead me to believe that the soul can never die, and it can be bought into, amongst the human world.

Every time my mum has done my cards, i've looked at her sideways, but some pretty big things that she predicted reigned true.

A few things my mum predicted was going to happen in my life ith tarot cards: That i would be manipulated & sexually harrassed by a much older man, some one whom i thought i could trust. That turned out to be my guidance/drug and alcohol counsiler. I was 18, he was 44.

Another thing, she predicted that i would be moving(to another town), when i had no plans to at the time..So i was like, 'yeah whatever ma, i'm not going anywhere.'

The biggest thing she predicted, which i got really angry with her about at the time,and asked her to please refrain from talking such utter shit, was when she predicted that my bf and i would break up. (Due to me going off the rails), be apart for a while, and get back together.

17. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

I own a deck smile  I use it whenever I feel like seeking... answers. Or when I am lost.

18. VioletSun profile image81
    VioletSunposted 14 years ago

I have tried many decks in my lifetime, but the The Rider-Waite tarot deck is my favorite; I still use a deck I purchased 30 years ago, can you imagine? All the history of readings those cards have! smile

I bet they feel wonderful to work with smile

I use the Medicine Woman Tarot when doing readings for others - the illustrations seem to speak to me...

If doing a full reading for myself I like using The Shining Woman Tarot, or Titania's Fortune Cards.

If asking a question needing a one card answer I like the Wicca Pack - or one of Doreen Virtues oracle card decks, depending on my mood.

I have LOTS of decks to choose from!

(Which is why I post a daily divination tarotscope on my blog lol

19. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

yes..I do tarot readings and I do divination.  ( I am also a Master herbalist..this I may go into at another time )

I will leave it at that due to unwanted emails I could receive, or comments, from those who are strongly against anything that does not fit in with their beliefs.

1. profile image0

oh.. I didnt think of that!  Im a peaceful and loving girl, dont want to be bullied x

20. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

and B.T.W. the Crowley deck is DARK MAGICK..I would never touch, use or even have one in my house.

Do a little research on the man and you will see why I say this, he is the "founder" of the Church of Satan

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then I'm a Satanist.
      I can't care less.

lol

Good for you Tantrum! It's all down to personal choice.

Black, white, grey, it's all the same energy... depends how you choose to use it. Well that's my belief anyway lol

smile

2. profile image0

Not sure what that has to do with anything? Symbolism is the same.
      Crowley was a very powerful black magician but did not found Satanic church whatever..

21. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

the founder of the Church of Satan is Anton La Vey.

1. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is true, but Crowley took it to another level and founded his own sect., very dangerous man

He's not!
        But I'm not going to debate A C.
        Everybody is free to think whatever they want.

2. profile image0

yeah... they chucked him out of the Golden Dawn Sect! 

I think anyone that thrives on fear and ego, cant be with good intentions... white and grey magick is about love, empowerment, respect etc... not about fear.

Just on wanting to be powerful is about self.. cant be a good thing.

There are lots of people that go for that though... so be it and blessed be!

3. profile image0

Any of us who use powerful magic can be dangerous if we choose. Healing is the only white magic. All other magic has the potential to turn black if we don't word our intention just right.

22. WriteAngled profile image74

I used to be one of the readers doing free readings through TABI (Tarot Association of the British Isles), having done their course, which is very good. I enjoyed doing it very much but then had a run-in with a rather arrogant "old-hand" and resigned.

23. WriteAngled profile image74

I don't think Crowley was a satanist. He was mythologised into the "great beast" by the media.

He was a great practical joker and liked to push the boundaries and shock people. He was arrogant, self-serving and often misguided. He did have a strong streak of malice and an overinflated sense of self-importance, which led him to take advantage of gullible people and push them too far. However, I believe the strongest accusation against him is not just, i.e. that he cold-bloodedly deserted his colleague on the mountain. I wonder what most people would do in the same situation, where they have a good chance to save their own life and an almost certain death if they tried to go after the other person, who is probably already dead.

His book on astrology, although obviously outdated (pre-Pluto), is one of the best introductions to the subject I have ever read. His Magick Without Tears shows him to be an excellent teacher in esoteric magic, and Moonchild is one of the best occult novels I've read, on a par with the best of Dion Fortune.

His Thoth deck can be very powerful. It's not one to mess around with and it often gives hard-hitting answers that people don't like to hear.

Well said!
      thanks ! smile

2. profile image0

whatever.. he was powerful and wise in knowledge...

Im just a Fortune Divotee... more natural in her ways.  I guess I connect more with her ... gentler.

Anyway... who am I to judge!  hehehe x

24. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

To answer the title question - not that I use any at all, but I just can't stay away from the thread with so many pretty girls wink

25. WriteAngled profile image74

You'd best behave while you're here, Misha, or you might get  big_smile

1. profile image0

lol x

Excellent! lol

26. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Ooops, sorry ladies yikes

* rushing to the kitchen to get a fresh tin foil for a new hat *

27. WriteAngled profile image74

I used to be in an organisation that branched off from the SIL, so have read a lot of DF and like her writings. I did feel more empathy with Charles Seymour though and love Alan Richardson's account of Seymour's work with Christine Hartley ("Dancers to the Gods).

28. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

I use three different decks.
    I prefer the Rider Waite though I also have the Kabbalah deck.

29. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

I have my Norse Mythology deck. Beautiful artwork, although it is a long time since I used them and now play with crystals.

Might see if I can pick up a Greek Mythology deck next time I go to Athens smile

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sufi!  My son loves mythology and Norse mythology is one of his favorites. 

You know my religion keeps me from participating in divination, but that does not mean that I do not find it fascinating.  It seems to me that a ritual practice or spiritual resource that old, has something to be said about it. 

As for us Christians, I am sure many of you have noticed how we like to explain the "unbelievable," by giving credit to its blessings on Satan. And, since the bible does tell us followers not to worship the stars or practice rites of foresight, there will be some people who will respond no to this forum topic without a submittable explanation as to why.  For me, it is against my religion and I'm not afraid to say that. It is a respect thing.

1. profile image0

That's only because the Hebrew and Aramaic words were transliterated wrong. I can show you even in the KJV of the Bible where it says the stars are for our signs.

2. Sufidreamer profile image79
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey, IE - your son has good taste. I loved Norse Mythology when I was younger - I have Norwegian ancestry, so maybe it was the blood calling.

I find it all fascinating, too - I have always loved mysticism and often wander down such paths. For me, the tarot was always a 'guide' to looking inside myself although, as I have grown older, I tend not to need them.

You should not be afraid to say it, no more than a Jew or Muslim should not be afraid to say that they cannot eat pork. You do not enforce your beliefs on others and you are always respectful. That's why I love talking to you - it is guaranteed to be interesting smile

2. CrystalStarWoman profile image57

Do you ever use Runes? I used to use them regularly a few years back, maybe it's time to re-visit with my original set smile

How to you play with your crystals? Do you use them for readings? Healing?

30. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

* crawls beneath the coach in a hope that nobody noticed, all covered in tin foil *

Watch out, because it seems I'm a Satanist
      lol:

1. profile image0

you're not a satantist ... you are Tantram! Different animal all together! hehehe x

31. WriteAngled profile image74

Sufi, we found the Greek gods are still very much alive. We have a custom of making libations to the gods of the place wherever we travel. Doing so on the standard 3-day trip round Greece (Olympus, Delphi etc) and also while on our own travels gave us many beautiful moments of blessing. smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of the reasons why I like it here - the land is truly ancient and has seen many things. I sense it when I meditate in the mountains and amongst the olive groves, although there is something primeval and dark buried deep, too smile

32. WriteAngled profile image74

Oh, also want to say it's fantastic to find some like-minded people here smile

Ditto!

33. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

*can't understand why the couch is all lumpy so decides to flatten the lumps with a large hammer*

34. profile image0

Sent a lightening bolt to hit you in the behind Misha, let me know when it hits you.

1. profile image0

I think he saw that one coming... he's out of here! lol

35. profile image0

The Adept uses Tarot Cards before each ritual. This is done to see what the cards say the outcome of the ritual will be.

36. WriteAngled profile image74

I've used a bowl of small crystals for geomancy. Instead of poking holes in sand or making random dots on paper, I pick up a handful of crystals, count them to see if I have an odd or even number, and repeat until I generate the figures.

I did make myself a set of runes, but never really got the hang. I found tarot a lot easier. The other divination method I find difficult, although my partner loves it, is the I Ching.

A friend of mine made me a set of runes with stones she picked from the floor of Merlin's cave at Tintagel! (A place I would love to visit!)

I have never tried geomancy, is it complicated?.

Sometimes I put assorted crystals in a bag and ask the person to pick one out with their receptive hand. It can tell me what they need help with (character traits, or health wise).

If you put a bowl of crystals in front of children and ask them to choose one (visually) it can tell you a lot about their character - and they love it! Especially when you give them the crystal that they chose to take home smile

I never really got the hang of the I Ching either, but know people who swear by it!

37. WriteAngled profile image74

One idea that has really fascinated me is a suggestion I read elsewhere of putting together a divination set of things you find. This could include small stones, paper clips, little plastic toys from Christmas crackers, coins, whatever. You put them into a bag, draw them out and then work with whatever associations each piece generates.

That sounds like a great idea smile

38. WriteAngled profile image74

Geomancy is very long-winded. If you then plot out the results on a mediaeval astrology chart, it gets horrendously complicated. It's not my method of choice, but I had to master the basics (fortunately the astrology chart was an optional extra!) for a grade exam in my magical group. I have a book by Michael Greer about it. Reading him, it all makes loads of sense and sounds great, but actually doing it is another matter.

Oh my Goddess! That does sound VERY complicated! I may leave that one to the experts... lol

39. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 14 years ago

I used to use 'Kipper' cards. They are a 19th Century modification of the Gypsy Cards. They always gave excellent results. I tried other cards, including Tarot, but somehow never got a feel for them.

40. Mystique1957 profile image66
    Mystique1957posted 14 years ago

Tarot, Runes, Crystals, Dowsing Pendulums, Rods,Wands...
    They all fascinate me. I have practiced with some of them.
    However, I believe the magick is in the practitioner`s connection with the Source. Put to good use, any tool is helpful(Except *Santeria* practices which I respect but keep away from. I do not enjoy killing animals and using their blood. I`d rather use my own if needed)I like the Raider White`s deck. I get a good feeling with these cards.

41. profile image53
    (Q)posted 14 years ago

I use hockey cards to predict the point spread in a hockey pool.

42. MollyMiigwan profile image60
    MollyMiigwanposted 13 years ago

I LOVE my tarot deck. I used 'Animals Divine Companion' in which it uses animals and gods/goddesses with animal backgrounds. Very cultural; I enjoy learning about the different gods and goddesses, the cultures they come from and the different animal spirits.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)