Is there a difference between a Disciple of Christ and a Christian?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image67
    KC McGeeposted 2 years ago

It's not very often I hear someone refer themselves to be a Disciple of Christ, but very often a Christian. Is there a difference or is one uses preferred over the other?

1. abwilliams profile image69
      abwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is an interesting question to ponder KC. I wonder if someone referring to themself as a Disciple of Christ, has spent too much time in the valley of the shadow of death, have hit rock bottom and have been through so much by the time they discover Christ, they feel as if they have won the lottery/earned a discipleship?

1. profile image67
        KC McGeeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

abwilliam, Discipleship in Christ is not something one can earn. It comes from study and the willingness to put your trust and faith in what you have learned and continue to keep learning.  But most important to live by what you have learned. True Discipleship in Christ in my opinion is, for me anyway, a life long commetment.

Yes, I was attempting to express what it must "feel" like for one to come out of the darkness and into the light.

1. profile image67

abwillians, thank you for clarifying and please forgive any misunderstanding on my part.

No worries, my mind takes me in different directions than the topic at hand intends...often! lol, story of my life.

2. jwashington profile image60
      jwashingtonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

No. No difference. Disciple of Christ is more personal but technically if you are his disciples, you're a Christian.

Like someone is a Buddhist but they'd probably say Dharmic practitioner or the lineage they follow.

I don't see anything wrong with it but many I came across associate Christian with dogma so they avoid the word.

1. profile image67

jwashington. Someone told me once the to be a Christian one must be a Disciple first, but it's kind of reminds me of the term which came first , the chicken or the egg. However when reading the four gospels clearly disciple is the term used during Christ's ministery. Thank you much for your comment.

2. Robert K Gilbert profile image71
    Robert K Gilbertposted 2 years ago

when I was first became a christian, it was sort of wild.  we used the disciple thing more than the christian thing.  back in the late seventies, we like using the word "sojourners" and disciples was want we did.  We kind of were always making disciples even in ourselves.  we were visitors on this planet, sojourners.  I think this word was used often with the maranatha was a good motivating word.  I think because were visiting; we put ourselves to work.  We were busy doing a lot of things and often in different churches for different reasons and often on our own.  No one owned any ministry.  some died after it was started and done. 

We got named, "loose guns".  It was not a nice name.  If we got rid of our guns, we found a home and became christians.  Life was good for some.  Life was miserable for others.  Life became an an adventure for many.  Some lost christ in the transition.  churches normally do not make disciples.  disciples follow christ.  churches make church people.  church can be good people.  They will sell their soul to complete the goals with heavy loads of the "church".  If you are not sold on the load, he will be a bitter and heavy load to carry.

What if you entered a week and a choice will determine if you are going to follow christ and be the temple or going to join the prince of this world and be a beast?  2.4 billion christians will be faced with this decision when the seven year week enters the 4th day.  the benefits of being the beast will be that you get to tear down the temple.  It is a short term benefit.  The temple gets to rise on the 8th day.  The more blood that spills quicker; the shorter will the 4th day be.  The beast will hopefully do a good job.  the beast will get to go through the second half of the 2nd pentecost week.  It will not be that good of a deal because the fullness of the kingdom will enter this space called universe.  There is not space suit made to deal with the fullness of the kingdom except the suit of the resurrection which mirrors christ.

1. profile image67

Robert K Gilbert, thanks for your comment. For myself I choose the term Disciple of Christ because I don't belong to any particular denomination or "church". I prefer to study the bible for myself. And when I say study, I mean deep study as in hours and hours at a time. And often. I like fellowshiping with like minded individuals and sharing the word ao God with others. The subject I ienjoy most is the Kingdom of God and the Book of Revelation. Although I do enjoy many other subject within.

Again, many thanks for your comment.

3. Robert K Gilbert profile image71
    Robert K Gilbertposted 2 years ago

This was back in the late 70's early 80's which the jesus movement still had some gas left in the tank.   It was easy to just start something with a guitar and bible.  A small portable sound system was topping on the cake.

4. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

"I don't belong to any particular denomination or "church".

There are many people who find themselves in this situation.  They are strong believers but have had bad experiences with a church.  Sometimes these people go and create their own church, but most times they don't.

My question is if you can be a disciple of Christ AND a Christian?

When I was younger, I took a time where I visited as many different denominations as possible.  I went to Catholic churches, Baptist churches, Lutheran churches, Presbyterian, Methodist, Episcopal, Unitarian, and many non-denominational churches.

It was quite an eye-opening experience.

1. profile image67

Readmikenow, I guess until either one or both questions (yours and mine) are clearly define we may never really know. I guess for now it may be left up to opinions, unless someone has a clear answer.

I just read the comment from "wilderness" (below) and it seem he has a point.

5. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 2 years ago

As there is no universally accepted definition of either one, it would all depend on your own personal definitions.

6. Kobby95 profile image86
    Kobby95posted 2 years ago

Why should there be a difference? To my mind, a Christian, in the truest sense of the word, is a disciple of Christ; and a disciple, being a follower of Christ, is Christian.

7. profile image0
    Vladimir Karasposted 2 years ago

Names make no difference -- but how much someone is following Jesus' teachings -- makes the whole difference.

8. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Some people call themselves “Christian” simply because they were born into a family that identified as being Christian without even really thinking about it. They may not have ever gone to church or even read the Bible. Just because they identify with the term doesn’t mean they are actively practicing. Someone who calls themselves a disciple of Christ, I would imagine, is trying to follow Jesus teachings as closely as possible in everything they do in life.

1. Misbah786 profile image85
      Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Very well answered, John. Precise and exactly to the point. smile

2. profile image67

Jodah, I do believe there are many people out there who refer to themselves as Christians with very deep belief in God and our Lord Jesus Christ.My Dad was just one of many out there. As I refer myself as a Disciple of Christ, not once have I though of my dad's faith in God more or less than my own.

I understand what you are saying, but we must be fair to all those who truely believe regardless of what title they consider themselves.

Sorry for chiming in, but I found your question fascinating. I am not a Christian, but because we belong to the Abrahamic religion, we are Holy Brothers and Sisters. smile

I am a Muslim. Some Muslims simply state that they are Muslims, while others claim to be practicing Muslims. What's the distinction between the two? Both are Muslims, but one is learning and gaining knowledge through study and practice, whereas the other was born into that specific religion and chooses/wants to believe what their forefathers told them.

One has a degree of knowledge that their ancestors taught them, while the other has listened to all those religious stories, questioned them, and wrestled with them. smile

There is no such thing as one being superior to another or lacking sufficient faith in a particular religion. However, I believe, the level of understanding differs and evolve over time when we practice and study. smile

Sending Blessings and Peace!!

1. Jodah profile image91
          Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That was the point I was trying to make, Misbah. Thank you for chiming in.

Thank you so much for your kind response, dear friend smile
            Stay blessed!

2. Jodah profile image91

KC, I am not denigrating those who call themselves a Christian, try to follow  the teaching of Jesus, read the Bible…may or may not attend church. I am one. I was just referring to the percentage of the population who when are asked their religion on a form etc may write Christian because that is what they were brought up identifying as. There are practicing Christians and non-practicing Christians, just as I assume there are in other religions as Misbah alluded.

1. profile image67

Judah, Please forgive my misunderstanding.

1. Jodah profile image91

Al good smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)