Westernization of Buddhism

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    crmhaskeposted 13 years ago

I recently started writing for the Examiner as the Montreal Buddhism Examiner, and as part of this position I thought it would be a wonderful idea to visit the various centres and temples in Montreal, and write about them.  Until today I have had nothing but very pleasant experiences, and a warm reception.  And then I apparently mistakingly decided I should visit the Montreal Zen Centre next.  When I wrote them to enquire about visiting this is all I got in response:

"Sorry but the Zen Center of Montreal is a private house and our activities are for members only."

Is it just me or does that sound incredibly unbuddhist?  I wasn't even extended an invitation to become a member or informed of how I could become one.  It was basically a - go away.

I'm really taken aback.  I have visited too many centres and temples to count, but never have I received this kind of treatment.  It seems to me that they have entirely forgotten the philosophy of religion they supposedly follow.

It was perhaps very unbuddhist of me, myself, to respond to the e-mail "How very Unbuddhist of you.  Thank you for taking the time to return my e-mail"  - I was really just shocked.

I have been to temples thousands of years old, and have certainly been requested to refrain from certain areas where the ordained monks engage in practice, but never have I been entirely shooed away like I was trying to encroach on some sort of secret society.

2. ediggity profile image62
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Did you explain what you were doing when you originally wrote them, and that you were in fact Buddhist?  Maybe they misunderstood, and thought you were just a journalist or media rep.

1. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did explain.  I even linked them through to both my profile with the examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-47909-Montrea … er?showbio , and the last article I wrote about the temple I visited: http://www.examiner.com/x-47909-Montrea … n-Montreal .

This is the e-mail I initially sent them:

"Good day, I hope this e-mail finds you well.

My name is Christie.  I am the Montreal Buddhism Examiner for Examiner.com, and my goal for the next two months is to visit the various Buddhist temples and centres in Montreal, and provide a personal experience of the temple/centre, and an introduction to their denomination of Buddhism.  This week I would like to focus on Zen Buddhism, and am interested in visiting the Montreal Zen Centre throughout the week as a participant.  I have lived in Montreal for three years now, but have to as yet explore the Buddhist community here.  Now that I have more time on my hands, it would be nice to be in the company of fellow Buddhists, and share in their experiences.

I wanted to inquire as to how I could proceed for the next week to get a sense of what your centre has to offer.  The last experience I wrote on was of the Tibetan Buddhist Temple.  You can find the article here to get a sense of what I'm going for.  It is difficult to sum up such spiritual experiences in 300-400 words, but I do my best smile

Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
      Christie"

3. ediggity profile image62
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Well, that's odd.  The only thing I can think of is that they may have based their response solely from your inquiry without clicking any links.  The letter doesn't really address the fact that you practice Buddhism. I guess you could always just show up at the front door.

1. profile image0

I'm no longer interested.  Regardless of what they may have believed my intentions were, it is very Unbuddhist to turn someone away just like that.  I'm writing an article on Buddhist organizations, not organizations pretending to be Buddhist.  I won't waste my time trying to convince them otherwise, and in my article on Zen Buddhism I'll mention their existence, but nothing more.

It is disheartening though I did expect it to happen eventually, just not with the second only centre I contacted lol - all belief systems eventually tangent until they have no resemblance to the original message.  Bleh.

4. mythbuster profile image72
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

crmhaske,

you may have been dealing with a specific personality that does not reflect the whole.

1. profile image0

Yes, it's true.  This response came from one person of the organization, the Secretary Treasurer to be specific, and one person does not represent a whole at all.  Perhaps I will call on Monday, and maybe get somebody else.

It is in situations like this that my greatest failing is most obvious - I have a very difficult time having patience with the parts of people I don't care for, and prefer to just leave the room never to return than sort things out.  I have a very escapist personality if I'm not particularly attached to the results.

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sorry crm your going through this unnecessary childish and more so judgmental havoc.  You have support here and I do indeed look forward to reading some of your upcoming work you are working on.

big_smile

1. profile image0

Thanks! smile

5. mythbuster profile image72
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

crmhaske,

*hugs* it SUX to return to the room, sometimes, eh? But that feeling will only last a moment!

1. profile image0

I'll say this, pretending to be a journalist is much more difficult than writing hubs! haha

Thanks smile

1. mythbuster profile image72
        mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Heck, you'll be in fine form for your new position in no time and will probably be having a blast a month from now!

1. profile image0

Thanks!  I certainly I hope so smile

I called this morning but got voicemail.  I left message, we'll see what happens.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)