Demonic possession - too much to allow?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (61 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Anyone who thinks they are possessed by demons is obviously mentally ill, but we have hubbers here who think this is real and that it has a religious solution.

I would support laws requiring secular intervention and fining or otherwise punishing  any church or individual  involved in "treating" people deranged in this way.

I believe in freedom of religion, but this goes too far.

1. kess profile image61
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Understanding the atheist thinking I noticed that you've step out of line....so to speak...

irrationality and unstable thinking  belongs to religion...thus they are the crazy people....

so if they of themselves offer a solution to their own problem ..then who should fault them?

Definitely not an atheist

They are just doing exactly as expected of them according to atheistic thinking.

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Anyone who believes in demonic possession IS in need of mental health counseling and I have no hesitation or reget in saying so.

1. kess profile image61
          kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so can't you see to complaining about the crazies to the crazies...

Obviously the "crazies" aren't going to help.

This is a very difficult issue. Even I would rather ignore it.

2. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pc...please remember that george w. was elected TWICE by America's populace.

Not with any help from me smile

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Why?  We allow fortune tellers, seers and people taking money to communicate with your dead relative.  Voodoo priests selling curses and others selling love spells.  Astrologers are everywhere as are "hands on healers".  There are even priests taking "collections" to help the "building fund" in exchange for telling you how to live your life!

There's a sucker born every minute.

It's not a matter of "suckers".

The "possessed" are seriously mentally ill and need real help. Additionally, they could be dangerous to themselves and others.

This is a place where sane society needs to interfere with insane beliefs.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right, of course, and I apologize for my somewhat flippant answer. 

I was not thinking of those that are severely "possessed", but rather those that want an exorcism to stop some trifling matter that they could take care of themselves were they not convinced they were possessed by something causing them to act the way they do.

What you are talking about is not much different than with holding medical care from a child because God will heal them.

1. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

how many people 'want' exorcisms - are they not forced upon them by others?

I was told I needed 'deliverance' (exorcism) when I was suffering from exhaustion & was getting depressed (do you blame me?!?)

2. profile image0

some are accused of being 'possessed' by the mentally insane - like cult leader David Berg & followers that abused his grand-daughter with exorcisms - speaking 'in tongues' while 'rebuking the devil', slapping her face & commanding demons to come out - when she hit her head and was vomiting, they said she was vomiting demons

She was accused of being possessed, because she questioned their religious doctrines.

3. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it is against equity to let the robbers abuse the mentally ill freely. It is a good proposal to have rules in the society to help the mentally ill that they are not abused.

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"The "possessed" are seriously mentally ill and need real help." Could be said that anybody that sells their soul is seriously possessed.

This is where religion crosses the line for me.

When somebody thinks that someone else can "sell their soul" or is "possessed", I think it is time for sane people to interfere.

I don't come to that lightly. Meddling with religious beliefs is something that should be avoided whenever possible. But this stuff just goes too far. 

What's next?  Atheists must have sold their souls and are possessed?  And then anyone with the "wrong" religion must be in the same state?

Too far. Too much. Sane people need to speak out and stop letting these crazed people operate without censure.

1. profile image0

well, some of your fellow hubbers have made such statements, that atheists are evil and demon-possessed.  I'm not going to name names, but I can think of at least 3 who think that way

I know that.  But nobody chastises them or speaks against them.

There is fear of being seen as intolerant.  I understand that and I hesitate myself and want to give the benefit of the doubt - are they just using hyperbole? A little poetic license to make a point?

Yes, sometimes that's all it is. But sometimes it goes too far and it is obvious that this represents true belief.

1. profile image0

well, I made comments about them, and got called psycho, beelzebub & more.  I've been putting my energy in writing hubs with the correct info to counter their rot

2. aguasilver profile image71
        aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like your little demons are afraid of being noticed...

If that's a joke, fine - funny enough.

If not, you need help.

1. aguasilver profile image71

PC, I need no help, but you need to understand that some folk actually live in full knowledge of the spiritual world, I did before I came to faith, and I continued to do so once I crossed from the other team to Gods side of the fence.

I do not expect you (or any other of the current batch of secularists)to understand, nor condone what I say, nor believe what I have seen and experienced, and frankly who cares, certainly not me.

There are many of us out here, not doing mumbo jumbo exorcisms, but quietly dealing with what the enemy has laid upon folk.

In virtually all the healing Christ undertook, he first cast out the demonic spirits that held folk in bondage, then he dealt with the sickness.

The enemy has been greatly successful in persuading secularists that he does not exist, hence you aghast manner to hear that some folk still deal with his antics and set people free from oppression.

Now castigate away all you like, I have not entered this forum for any debate, just to make a statement correcting your statements.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
              Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would suspect that those who make such claims of living in an imaginary realm, not caring at all and not open for any debate is what the OP is referring. smile

4. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Pcinix, I don't know anything about the way they go about 'depossessing' someone. I agree with you. Mental health is the primary issue. These people probably aren't hurting anyone. I don't think.  Maybe they just lay hands on them and pray.

But you are probably right. The boy who killed so many at Va Tech had no help. I read his mother begged her church to step in. She claimed he was possessed. Maybe if they had, someone would have seen the danger and averted this tragedy. Some people just need to know that someone else is listening to their problems. Mental health professionals can't be everywhere that people have a need for help. It wouldn't be a bad thing to see people work together on this.

I would hope that main stream churches would speak out against this.

Unfortunately, the Catholic church still subscribes to this dangerous nonsense also.

1. profile image0

some of the protestant churches are no better - they are into exorcism too - they just give it different names, like deliverance.  And they refer to their 'demons' as 'the spirit of oppression' or 'the spirit of depression'

Yes, I know.

This is a serious problem that most theists want to ignore. They don't believe in this themselves, but they, like me, hesitate to interfere because meddling with religion is serious business and should not be undertaken lightly. 

We all want to look the other way if we possibly can, don't we?

2. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I doubt I'm main stream anything, so I wouldn't be much help there. I would call the police if I witnessed strange behavior. It wouldn't cross my mind to call a priest.

5. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

There was a dispatches documentary a while back on child witch accusations here in the UK with stories of horrific abuse and even a case of murder for the accused witch.

I hear what you say PC, about hesitating to interfere because meddling with religion is serious business and should not be undertaken lightly.

Thing is, if the religious people wont police themselves then who is going to do it? The job will have to come down to agnostics and atheists because its a problem that cannot just be ignored.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/295134

No, it can't be us. This has to come from the religious community.

1. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are probably right, its only likely to be effective if it comes from the religious.

While looking for links to the child witch craft abuse stories I came across a story about the Vatican being possessed by the devil. I wouldn't hold my breath that the religious will ever take responsibility for their religion. Hence I don't think they will lift a finger to stop the abuse that happens. All the seem willing to do is pray, and well there isn't a great track record on that working. If it did I am  sure the starving of the world would start praying professionally to get food.

6. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Why do we blame evil spirits, demon possession and the devil for OUR evil actions?

Demons don't interfere with us, they don't need to. Our evil and destructive acts would shame any demon as a lazy wimp cause we just can't be beat in terms of committing horrible crimes against each other.

1. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why is that? Why a ARE we so good at being horrible to our own kind?

If you go for the evolution stuff that includes the survival of the fittest then you could say that cruelty makes for a good survival mechanism for individuals. As more peaceful people get murdered/tortured etc. by the crueler people of this world what we are left with is a cruel race willing to lie, cheat, steal and murder to survive (sadly we don't need to do those things anymore but it seems its in our nature now).

Or you can say God made us this way. Brilliant job is all I can say to that theory.

RE evolutionary reason.
          If we don't kill off more and more, overpopulation is inevitable. Is that for the betterment of the species? Will it not bring MORE suffering than the cruelty we now display?

You know with some very simple education we could curb our population growth within one generation. In a handful of generations we could experience real population reduction. If 2 people only ever make one kid that effectively will reduce population without resorting to cruel acts.

How cool would it be if we, as a species, had the capacity for violence and cruelty but chose intelligence instead. We don't have to exercise cruelty toward each other to solve our problems. Just like I don't have to smash a jar to open it, I can just twist the top off instead, we as a species don't have to resort to the BS that we do just to solve our problems and understand this world of ours. Common sense does seem to be highly discriminated against tho, not very helpful.

OH yes, education. Where are the educators?
              Who will finance it? It is a pipe dream to think it will ever happen.

I recon the current way is going to work itself to it's ultimate destiny. We are too many to make such radical changes. I feel ya, but don't see it as possible, well, certainly not probable.

It happened with me, the pipe dream was more real then 'the American dream'. I had educators right left and center, paid and unpaid. My STD educations got mixed up with my teachers trip to europe. It was funny as h*ll, here's us in paris, and here's a penis with a bloody discharge and here we are at the Eiffel Tower. My teacher was not highly paid (she had a husband with money tho). My adopted mom was also a reasonable teacher. Teaching people is not unreasonable and is frankly a wise investment in ones society and population.

Awww diddums! Just cause its a little hard to build up momentum in the population you're gonna write it off as impossible to influence change? Maybe just wait for some divine being to come along and do the job for ya? I hear that God helps those who help themselves wink
                Not to mention the fact that helpful hands are stronger then prayerful lips wink

2. profile image0
              just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your thoughts on this are very insightful. I wish more people could think your way.

3. Beelzedad profile image59

Not a bad idea. I think however there is a bit of a stereotype myth attached to the "only child" family, that a child with no siblings will grow up selfish, spoiled, lonely, maladjusted, etc. smile

4. aguasilver profile image71

So the 'nice' educated intelligent folk only have one child... guess what, they cease to exist in 50 years and the control then rests with all the not so nice uneducated unintelligent folk who continued having 5.6 children per couple.

I have a hub about demographics.... at the rate we are not breeding, the whole northern hemisphere will cease to be as it has been inside 50 years.

1. profile image0

that pretty much happens now

Pretty much HAPPENED now, and speeding up!

Ayup.

We had two kids and it looks like they won't have any.

Oh, well..  good news for future theists though smile

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Practice makes perfect, religions have been playing that game for centuries. smile

Yepp.
          Evolution is wonderful, isn't it?

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Yes, notice that religions are becoming extinct as time marches on. smile

2. aguasilver profile image71

Believe me, we are not even close to how horrific spiritual forces could be if allowed to have their reign, but fortunately they are restricted for a while longer yet.

Does the law recognize demons as real?  Could you use demonic possession as a defense or a charge in a criminal trial?

No, the law does not. 

What is your personal involvement? Do you live and let live or will you use your beliefs to justify acts against those you think are possessed?

Do you believe I am "possessed" because I say your religion is a delusion?

Actually it would be classed as 'diminished responsibility' and seen as a mental condition, but then law (being created to deal with black and white) cannot start to accept supernatural evidence or it is required to:
          a) admit it has no legal control in these matters
          b) seek to gain mastery over supernatural events.

My personal 'involvement' is as a believer who is empowered to work against demonic (or supernatural) spirits which adversely interfere with folk, normally following those folk having gotten involved in spiritual areas they should leave alone.

In reality any believer can exercise authority over spiritual forces, Christ did and he told us that these things and greater we could do in his name.

Most are either ignorant of the fact, unwilling to do so, or doctrinally challenged in that area.

I would never be involved in any scenario where the person themselves did not recognise their problem, or at least that they had A problem and were open to discussing spiritual deliverance.

I have consistently stated in my hubs, where the issue has arisen, that ANYBODY who says they have a 'deliverance ministry' or did this sort of thing full time, would be a loose cannon awaiting a bad result. Being involved in spiritual cleansing is not a hobby or a job, it's a task that needs to be done when you meet a problem that relates to demonic interference.

Kinda like clearing our backed up drains.

Not having met you, I have no idea, you seem 'possessed' towards religion, but you may just be a compulsive addictive personality affixed on this subject.

2. kirstenblog profile image77

What more could they really do?
        Seriously.
        Cause I bet you I can find cases where we already do it

3. Beelzedad profile image59

That is entirely the point, not believing you, of course, and witnessing just how dangerous such beliefs are to society and mankind. smile

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

oh shut this down please

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)