jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Lent, Comandment or tradition?

1. Onusonus profile image81
    Onusonusposted 6 years ago

Do you believe that practicing lent is a comandment from God or a man made tradition?

1. profile image0
      Phoebe Pikeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I believe it is a mixture of sorts. Words interpreted differently and etc. I personally do not see why God would ask for it to be a yearly tradition, but to each their own. I honestly think it is done by man based on past societies and the leaders' beliefs at the time.

Onusonusposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've been thinking about how in the old testament, the Jews were comanded by God to keep the passover feast along with several other anual observances, but I'm not finding anything that suports an anual observance of lent or anything like it.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image89
          oceansnsunsetsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right.  Its more of a man made tradition, long after the scriptures were written.  Some do it for reasons that line up with the scriptures, but its not mandated by any means.

Yes, by no means do I belittle others who take part in this tradition. It is definately an admirable show of faith.

2. profile image60
      paarsurreyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The litmus test is did Jesus do it or expressly stated doing it; if he did it and asked others to do it only then it forms a tradition; otherwise it is a sinful act done in Jesus name and should not be done.

Jesus Told everyone in order to inherit the kingdom of heaven they must be born of water and of the Holy spirit.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

You forgot pancake day! It was a fun day yesterday wink

3. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 6 years ago

I always thought Lent was a Catholic thing. I looked it up. Seems some protestant sects do it too. Learn something new every day. I don't see how it could be  considered a commandment, it appears to be tradition.

1. profile image60
      paarsurreyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Not even a tradition; as the truthful tradition must have been done first by Jesus; Jesus never did it; so it is a fabrication of the tradition or a false tradition.

The Christians needs to reform and should follow only the deeds and beliefs of Jesus; he is the role model of Christians not  the sinful Paul or the sinful Church.

4. superwags profile image77
    superwagsposted 6 years ago

I'm giving up cigars and rollerblading for lent again...

working