how are the dragons & devils in the bible any different?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

How are the dragons, devils, demons, satan etc in bible any different from the devils, dragons etc of any other mythology?

1. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok. I know you. I know you take the bible as mythology. Do not drag dragons into it. Simply because you have no evidence is no reason to sully their name with non belief. smile

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

apparently there are 2 types of dragons in the bible, along with satan etc.  I am researching for a hub on dragon mythology & keen to see what people think

1. profile image0
          just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know you're just looking for other opinions. I was just joking. I had no idea there were dragons mentioned in the bible. I thought all the references were to a leviathan that breathed fire. My husband, of course, told me I was wrong. Too bad. I'd always heard, and taken it for gospel, that only China and the British Isles had developed those myths. Which was used as the argument for a higher probability that there would be some animal that caused the myth to start in the first place. So, you've taught me something. smile

1. profile image0

yes, it is likely strange, unfamiliar animals inspired the dragon myths.  I figured all the dragons/demons were more or less the same, so my curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I have just borrowed a whole pile of books from the library (and yes, they said there are 2 dragons in bible).

1. mecheil profile image59
              mecheilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the dragon that's mentioned in the bible pertains to the original serpent - satan. (you will find it in the apocalypse) check genesis for the first serpent mentioning in the scriptures.

1. mecheil profile image59
                mecheilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

(you will find it in the apocalypse) i mean, revelation.

2. superwags profile image65
      superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because they're in the BIBLE. Durrr

3. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are no dragons , demons and devils mentioned in the truthful religion; Satan, yes.

It is a concept misconceived; so it is mythical.

1. profile image0

what makes satan more than mythology?

1. profile image51
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For clear human understanding like we name places and towns and hills etc; only smybolic.

4. DoubleScorpion profile image79
      DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no difference. I recently picked up a book of Greek Mythology, you know, those stories (if the names are changed) are quite similar to the stories found in the bible.

5. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are all the same. Grim fairy tales to frighten children of all ages into believing the unbelievable. smile

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 13 years ago

In the Old Testament you won't find any demons or dragons of devil. You will find various references to a satan, but that is just the Hebrew word for one that opposes or hinders. It could be a man or and Angel of the Lord. The word satan is not a proper noun and therefore can never be the name of a specific entitly and the OT recognises no spiritual being in opposition to God.

As for dragons, ether read great big fishy whale for Leviathan, or a symbolic picture, but there are no real dragons.

By the time of the New testament, the Jewish culture had adopted Persian Zoroastrian ideas of satan and demons into the national consciousness. In Jesus time they were a superstitious lot attributing mental illness with demon possesion. In order to recieve healing, tey needed to believe they were delivered, so Jesus went along with the superstitions for the sake of their healing. When he was refering to satan one must bear in mind that He had to work within their frame of understanding of the wolrd view in order to get His points acoss.

For dragons in the NT read symbology again.

1. profile image0

what about the fundies that insist the bible is taken literally?

In OT, have serpent in genesis in garden that talks,
      have leviathan sea serpent in job that boils the sea water,
      have apocalyse dragon in revelation that has many heads and eats babies,
      in Daniel (original KJV & catholic version), Daniel makes a dragon explode by feeding it a mixture of fat, hair , pitch

1. profile image0

I've just published a hub about them

3. olgakhumlo profile image66
    olgakhumloposted 13 years ago

The dragon , the old serpent, is the Devil (Rev 20:2 ) will be bound a thousand years.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image62
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen.

2. profile image0

yet satan has evolved just as much as dragons have

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Evolution-of-Satan-Part-1

4. billgaede profile image80
    billgaedeposted 13 years ago

"how are the dragons & devils in the bible any different...

...than 4D spacetime, magical black holes, 0D Quantum particles, warped space, 1D strings, parallel universes, wave-packets...

1. profile image0

no-one is claiming god can defeat any of those

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this is a strange place. see ya

2. billgaede profile image80
        billgaedeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was not referring to interactions. I was referring to the objects claimed to exist by traditional religions such as Christianity and the newest religion: Mathematical Physics. Dragons, devils, and angels are supernatural objects. Spacetime, black holes, and 0D particles are irrational objects (i.e., concepts converted into objects). They are all a part of religion.

1. profile image0

ah, you mean pseudo-science?  Guess that includes the big bang - I read religion came up with that too

5. billgaede profile image80
    billgaedeposted 13 years ago

Bill: "Spacetime, black holes, and 0D particles"

Bailey: " ah, you mean pseudo-science?"

Exactly! Religion passed off as 'science'!

1. profile image0

oh, yes...seen plenty of that - claims that humans walked with dinosaurs & one big flood formed landscape

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)