Are you atheist or follower for a religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. sophia jia profile image58
    sophia jiaposted 13 years ago

In the world, there are many religions. And they all declare holy functions of them, such as relief sorrow, realise your dream and many other strange things.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you atheist or follower for a religion? Neither. I hold no belief whatsoever. I have understanding gained from knowledge and experience, which grants me to be my own authority.

2. marwan asmar profile image66
      marwan asmarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank God I am not an etheist, but a believer and a practicing Muslim who believes there has to be a sense of purpose to life.

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not a personal target but a purpose of human life

2. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I'm neither. The whole subject confuses me. I honestly think there is something more, but all religions have proven they're built on unprovable assumptions and a lot of hype. The only religion I know much about is Christianity, but they all look about the same to me.

1. Jerami profile image60
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can a person believe in the God of Abraham and that Jesus was the Messiah spoken of in the Old testament;  and yet Not be a Christian?

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't know the answer to that one Jerami.

What is the God of Abraham?  I've never believed in the concept of any god as described by Christianity, at large. I just assumed the information in the Bible was a piece of the whole puzzle. 

I never thought the Christians had a corner on the market, or really any knowledge at all. I don't think anyone does anymore. We're all just yakking about stuff we think. No one knows anything.

What is your definition of the nature of the Messiah? I don't know what it is.  I think Jesus had an incredibly valuable message, but it talks of a salvation for everyone.  Not just those who label themselves Christian. If it doesn't include everyone, I'm not interested.  It wouldn't be fair.

Everybody's got something terrible wrong within that religion, and any religion that doesn't recognize the good in everyone.  There couldn't be a god as most theists describe it.  It makes no sense.  Why would something be so powerful and allow so many people to search in confusion and fight each other in the process? Why would it hand you a book like the Bible or the Quran that lets so many use it for evil? There's just too many questions.

2. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God of Abraham is the same Creator-God of Moses, Jesus and Muhammad.

3. Jerami profile image60
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

What is the God of Abraham?
    =  -  =  -  = - =

When Abraham accepted God ;  Abraham was wondering that exact same thing.  He probably just accepted this God to be a power greater than himself.    To him this voice that seemed to come from a burning bush said it was God and he accepted this. It seems that Abraham also accepted the instructions that he was given by this voice.

Religion didn't come till much later.  Abraham wasn't religious I don't think.
    ===============================================

I've never believed in the concept of any god as described by Christianity, at large. I just assumed the information in the Bible was a piece of the whole puzzle. 

= - = - =

It seems to me that Christianity as a whole, has many different concepts of their God.  That concept isn't quite clear.
    ===================================
    I never thought the Christians had a corner on the market, or really any knowledge at all. I don't think anyone does anymore. We're all just yakking about stuff we think. No one knows anything.

= - = - =

I don't think anyone does either.   Simply because personal interpretation has taken over the stage.  To find the origional intent of the origional message is like finding a needle in a haystack.
    ====================================================

What is your definition of the nature of the Messiah?

= - = - = -

The term Messiah cound mean any saveior sent by God (I think) The Hebrews of the day considered Cyrus the Great as a messiah.

= - = - = -

I don't know what it is.  I think Jesus had an incredibly valuable message, but it talks of a salvation for everyone.  Not just those who label themselves Christian. If it doesn't include everyone, I'm not interested.  It wouldn't be fair.

= - = - =

Jesus taught the disciples and often multitudes. 
    It seems to me, that which is represented in the bible could not be 1% of the message taught to the disciples over a 3 1/3 year course.  I'd like to hear the other 99%.   
      I kinda think that Constantine and the church that he built left out all of the really good stuff that would have done the most good.

Why would they do that?
    ============================================================
         Everybody's got something terrible wrong within that religion, and any religion that doesn't recognize the good in everyone.  There couldn't be a god as most theists describe it.  It makes no sense.  Why would something be so powerful and allow so many people to search in confusion and fight each other in the process? Why would it hand you a book like the Bible or the Quran that lets so many use it for evil? There's just too many questions.
    = - = - = - = -

"IF"  organized religion as Constantine constructed is the beast that rose up out of the sea in chapter 13;  that would answer most of those questions, wouldn't it.

A truth only has to be adulterated a little bit in order to lead everyone astray.

1. profile image0

That's a good post jerami.  Except for the burning bush part. I think that was Moses.  But Abraham is a good example.  A stand up guy when he went to war to help his neighbor, sneaky when he said his wife was his sister and got the king in trouble, badgering God when he didn't want Lot killed. I always liked the story of Abraham. But, like you said, Abraham wasn't represented as being religious and now you've got three religions fighting over who's got dibs on being the favored child.

And I think you're right.  Finding the original intent is the piece of the puzzle.  Christianity is off course. You detailed it perfectly in your post. 
      But nobody within the organization cares.  They've tossed out the only meaningful part of the message.

I don't think it matters what you call yourself.  You just have to do what you think is right and whatever lies beyond will work itself out. Or not, but if it doesn't work fairly for all I wouldn't want a part of it anyway.

But, I've always known I'd honestly rather be damned then agree with the church and be right. I've always thought the church was crazy and I just keep thinking that more strongly every time I sign on to this site. With the exception of you and a few others, of course. I think you've got the good heart I assumed a Christian was supposed to have.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was Moses who got the word from the burning bush... does it say that Abraham saw it too?

Ok  Moses  Got it ...   at least for a little while

My sometimers disease been getting to me more and more as the days pass by.

wonder how long before it become alltimers

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
          Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's OK. Now, how many animals of each type did Moses take on the ark? smile

2. profile image0

Nah. Abraham saw the singing bush. Or was that the Three Amigos? I forget.

4. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I agree with the last sentence Jeremy, smile " A truth only has to be adulterated a little bit in order to lead everyone astray."

Unfortunately handing one's life over to an "ism" is the biggest adulteration, and sure to lead people astray. smile

This thought comes to mind.

For me to hear a voice coming from a burning bush is truth to me.

For you to live your life according to what you imagine that the bush said to me  can become an ism ?????

That wasn't thought out.

The point I was making (before)is that just because a dead rat fell into the babys bathwater ;  we shouldn't throw the baby away.

5. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Sorry Jerami, but I can't follow any logical sequence in your post.

I know that is not unusual, but I must be missing something here as well. smile

No problem   was just  agreeing with Ya  "sortA"   to a point.

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK. smile

6. Jerami profile image60

It seems like I have so much to say and no words to express it correctly.
        Life is Ssooo complicated.

Prophesy;  Why was it given?
        What good is it if no one nows when these prophesy is to come to pass?  It would be like God telling me to buy or sell a certin stock on wallstreet.  should I buy or sell it tomorrow or next year or in ten years?
        Without knowing a time frame to buy or sell, the information is useless.
        The same is true concerning those things that was prophesied to come true at some time in the future.

If prophesy in the bible are from God ?   He would not have left out the most important information, such as WHEN.

This is the key which is necessary in understanding all of scripture.  WHEN will these things be. 

That is what the disciples asked Jesus; "when shall these things be?"
       And Jesus answered them; "THIS  generation shall not pass till all these things be fulfilled"  but no one knows what day or hour.

Interpreting these words to mean something other than what Jesus said is where religion made a sharp left turn.
        And a mystery was created.

The key to unlocking the mystery of prophesy is to understand the time line comparison between prophetic time and earthly time.

In 538 BC Gabriel told Daniel that in 62 weeks the Messiah will be killed. 568 years later they killed him.
         This is not hard to understand.
         If we want this to be a mystery? we have to interpret this to mean something other than what it clearly says.

These mysteries are what "The organization" was built upon.
        In 96 AD John wrote that this orginization will rise up out of the sea.

The church teaches that this orginization that John spoke of hasn't come to power yet.
        When will it happen ?    It is a mystery.

7. Jerami profile image60

we can change just a few facts in most any story and it will become a mystery.

8. mtariqsattar profile image76
    mtariqsattarposted 13 years ago

I will agree with you marwan this life has to be purposefully spent.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)